I'm tired of my Tour, and want to get a full sized touch screen phone with a physical keyboard. I know I'm probably asking this question in the wrong forum, lol, I'm sure you guys are partial to your Droids, and I don't blame you, it's a sweet device for sure.

So does anyone have a Droid, and one of the prerelease N900s? I know there are huge differences between the two, like the OS, and size, Carrier, and what not, but they both fit my needs, and would love to own one or the other.

Thanks
    11-18-09 11:46 AM
    I'm seriously thinking of picking up a N900 within the next couple weeks. Never used a Android 2.0 based device but the N900 looks like the ultimate device with that meamo OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 12:01 PM
    I just looked at the specs for N900 looks good but i dont want gsm. Verizon just kicks **** everywhere
    11-18-09 12:07 PM
    I would get the DROID for the sheer fact that Nokia uses Symbian as their mobile OS.
    The N900 does use symbian. This will have the new Maemo OS.

To the OP.... I know I am going to try out the N900. Looks pretty cool. You'll have to decide if you want VZW or a GSM carrier and then from their decide which OS you like. Keep in mind the current model of N900 only supports tmobile's 3G in the US.
    11-18-09 12:14 PM
    csreborn, yea good point. Before coming to vzw, I was a TMO customer using an old Curve. Voice service was good, but data was slow. Customer service for tmo was stellar. But this would be running 3G like you mentioned, and I notice in my area, (DC) 3G is everywhere. I do realize however, if I leave the area and go rural, service is limited. Then you have the thickness of the two devices to consider. Droid is very thin for a slider, and the N900 is quite thick. I like to keep my phone I my front pocket, and this might be a concern.

One thing I don't know is comparison of the two keyboards. I wish I knew which one would fit my needs better. Easy enough to try a Droid, but don't know where to get my hands on a N900 even after they are released.

Anyway Maemo looks great, so good infact it might just be worth checking out regardless of not being able to test the keyboard and whatnot.

11-18-09 03:38 PM
    I dont see what the big fuss about Maemo is. It doesnt look all that...in fact I think Eclair seems more polished. Not only that but the N900 cheap looking. The keyboard is just....there. The screen is resistive which is outdated...at least to me. Its also Nokia and im not the biggest fan of them. But a lot of people are. Whatever floats your boat!
    11-18-09 04:41 PM
    ^Ok i take that back about Maemo. Just watched a vid on the final build or whichever build it is now and its looks pretty good. However I still prefer Android.
    11-18-09 05:35 PM
    The N900 looks awesome. I wish vzw was going to carry it....I would love to give it a try....

11-18-09 05:39 PM
    You rwally think the N900 is $500 better of a phone than the Droid. Maybe it's got a couple features or does some things better but there is no way I could justify spending $700 on a cell phone. Once the HD2, X10 and Dragon/Passion come out you'll be kicking yourself in the arse.

11-18-09 06:03 PM
    You really think the N900 is $500 better of a phone than the Droid. Maybe it's got a couple features or does some things better but there is no way I could justify spending $700 on a cell phone. Once the HD2, X10 and Dragon/Passion come out you'll be kicking yourself in the arse.

11-18-09 06:04 PM
    700 USD? I'm getting it cheaper than that.
    11-18-09 06:17 PM
    A new Droid nonsubsidized is about the same price as a nonsubsidized N900. There is NO $500 price difference!! Maybe 50 bucks.

If you don't believe me, goto ebay and look at a preorder price for an n900, and then what it would cost for a Droid with no contract.

Yes it is resistive touch screen. However, it's probably one of the best out there, and not only performs similar to a capacitive screnn minus multitouch, it has the wonderful accuracy a resistive screen has to offer, without having to press too hard, and you can use it with gloves on.
    I donno, it's a matter of preference I suppose

11-19-09 12:24 PM
    The N900 is a sick device and to believe that the Maemo 5 OS that's on it now, isn't even their best work. They are already working on Maemo 6 which is stated to blow Maemo 5 out of the water. They have it now at NewEgg for much lower than the $700 USD. I want this device.... I need to win this weeks office football pool and then maybe that will be a possibility
    11-19-09 12:52 PM
    How you gonna fit it in your pocket? Its one of the fattest smart phone out right now. Its about the same thickness as 3 iPhone stacked up. The Droid is a much better option and does everything the nokia does.

11-19-09 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD