I played with a dummy unit in bestbuy today. The unit didn't power on but I can't imagine how I'd type on the physical keyboard. Keys were very flat, close together, and there was almost no give when you pushed a key in (you couldn't feel if you pushed a key in).

I was wondering what actual owners thought. If its really as bad as I think it is I may just wait until they make one without a keyboard. Other than that the phone looked pretty sweet.
    11-06-09 04:11 PM
    I played with an actual unit..

The physical one is absolutely horrible.

The touchscreen was average at best.. the sensitivity is way to high on it.

Ended up keeping my S2.
    Last edited by jhamilton3; 11-06-09 at 04:15 PM.
    11-06-09 04:13 PM
    I ended up not buying it, but I did play with it for a while. I was thinking the keyboard would be more like the one on the first gen touch pro. It's not. There is no separation and they are very flat. I preferred the software keyboard in landscape mode. I'll be waiting for the keyboard less version.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 04:17 PM
    The keyboard really isnt that bad , i am used to it already and typing this out on it right now , its very nice . And the on screen , too sensitive ? HAHA wow , bro , its a touch screen its supposed to be
    11-06-09 04:19 PM
    Yeah, i'm pretty good with all of them now (about 8 hours in). Even the tiny portrait one. And I've got gorilla thumbs.
    11-06-09 04:35 PM
    I used it today in the store and typed just as well as I did when I tried a Tour out a few months ago. I think it will just take getting used to. The onscreen keyboard was just like a few others I have tried (besides the 2 Storms). From my limited experience on it, I thought it was good.
    11-06-09 04:38 PM
    Used it for about five minutes and didn't really like it. I would wait for the keyboardless version. I actually was more impressed with the eris

11-06-09 04:41 PM
    i dont have one was able to play around with a friends for about 30 min or so... i had no issues with the keyboard what so ever... any keyboard is better then what is offered on the S1 or S2.

this phone could have half the keys not working and it would still be better. I was able to type a few emails quite fast with no issues.. The only thing i wish the D pad was a little smaller.
    11-06-09 04:45 PM
    I ended up not buying it, but I did play with it for a while. I was thinking the keyboard would be more like the one on the first gen touch pro. It's not. There is no separation and they are very flat. I preferred the software keyboard in landscape mode. I'll be waiting for the keyboard less version.

Gotta agree it reminds me heavily of the touch pro 1 I actually don't think it's as horribad as some people have been claiming, I've already adjusted to it
    11-06-09 04:46 PM
    Tried one in the store and was really hoping the slide-out keyboard would be at least decent. My fingers are on the large size but what I typed was pure goblygook. I knew I don't type that bad... I noticed as I typed, it would display the correct letter and then maybe one or two adjacent letters would show up based on where my finger was. It almost required a stylus to press just the very center of the key.

I really hope it was an issue with the display model as I really like the external keyboard. If the problem is not confined to this particular unit, then a software fix may help. It could register the first stroke then ignore any adjacent ones that register within a very short amount of time.
    11-06-09 04:59 PM
    Keyboard isn't bad, but the touchscreen one is so good I never use the physical one anymore anyway.
    Agreed. The landscape virtual keyboard is incredibly good.
    11-06-09 05:08 PM
    The keyboard really isnt that bad , i am used to it already and typing this out on it right now , its very nice . And the on screen , too sensitive ? HAHA wow , bro , its a touch screen its supposed to be
    Yes, too sensitive. Getting double letters after only quickly touching the letter once.

the iPhone is how a touchscreen is supposed to be - thats perfect sensitivity right there
    11-06-09 05:20 PM
    I use the virtual landscape keyboard.
    11-06-09 05:24 PM
    The physical keyboard is alright. I like the landscape keyboard the best.
    11-06-09 08:53 PM
    Just re training myself to use a physical keyboard again. Yes, I'll admit to this one, without thinking I tried to "swipe down" the physical keyboard. Old habits I guess...
    11-06-09 09:29 PM
    But when you are used to mashing on a Storm it takes a bit to get used to the light touch.
    11-06-09 09:39 PM
    I have small hands so both of the virtual keyboards and the physical keyboards work very well for me. The only problem I had with typing was using the physical keyboard in the dark while trying to input symbols. Since I couldn't see the gaps between the keys, I wasn't sure exactly which key it was on and I hit the adjacent key a couple of times. However, that's something I'll get used to as I use it more often.
    11-06-09 09:58 PM
    But when you are used to mashing on a Storm it takes a bit to get used to the light touch.
    smashing on a storm? Nope, no need to "smash", it actually clicks really easy. Must of been user error, or wait you probably dont have and never have had a storm2
    11-06-09 10:03 PM
    I actually think the physical keyboard is totally fine. The trick is unlearning the ways you typed on a BB. On a BB you pretty much used your left and right hands 50/50 for each half of the keyboard. However, with the D pad kind of inhibiting the positioning/movement of your right hand somewhat, I've altered my usage to 2/3s of the keyboard with my left hand and the right 1/3 with my right hands. It really works a lot smoother if you try and retrain yourself to think of it like this.
    11-06-09 10:06 PM
    Couldn't stand the physical keyboard.....bought the Droid Eris instead....that's a sweet phone my brothers!
    11-06-09 10:51 PM
    Couldn't stand the physical keyboard.....bought the Droid Eris instead....that's a sweet phone my brothers!
    I looked at Eris, but that glorious 3.7" screen on the Droid buried it.
    11-06-09 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD