Okay,

So I've quickly established that the virtual landscape is superior to both the physical keyboard and the portrait keyboard. As such, I've been tending to hold the phone in landscape mode for nearly everything I do.

However, I've noticed a few places where I have to physically open the keyboard to activate the landscape mode. (i.e. simply turning the phone horizontally does not activate it). For example, to get landscape mode on the home screens I have to physically open the keyboard. If I shut it, it goes back to portrait despite the phone being horizontal. Also, when I go to the search box at the top of the home screen, I also cannot activate landscape without opening the keyboard up and I also cannot use the virtual keyboard to search because if I close the keyboard it reverts back to portrait.

Am I missing something here or is this happening for everyone else?

Other than that slight annoyance, this phone is pretty bad a$$.
    11-06-09 01:03 AM
    I've noticed this kind of stuff in some of the vids, but I thought it had to do with some kind of setting that wasn't set somewhere.

Perhaps these will be corrected in updates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 01:09 AM
    Okay,

So I've quickly established that the virtual landscape is superior to both the physical keyboard and the portrait keyboard. As such, I've been tending to hold the phone in landscape mode for nearly everything I do.

However, I've noticed a few places where I have to physically open the keyboard to activate the landscape mode. (i.e. simply turning the phone horizontally does not activate it). For example, to get landscape mode on the home screens I have to physically open the keyboard. If I shut it, it goes back to portrait despite the phone being horizontal. Also, when I go to the search box at the top of the home screen, I also cannot activate landscape without opening the keyboard up and I also cannot use the virtual keyboard to search because if I close the keyboard it reverts back to portrait.

Am I missing something here or is this happening for everyone else?

Other than that slight annoyance, this phone is pretty bad a$$.
    I'm not entirely sure so take what I say with a grain of salt...I actually asked my friend this question today and he has a G1. I kept flipping the phone and wondering wtf was up and why it didn't switch. He told me that it's a setting and that he has his set where the phone wont switch to landscape unless he opens the keyboard.
    11-06-09 01:24 AM
    I pray its a setting that can be toggled on and off
    11-06-09 01:38 AM
    He told me that it's a setting and that he has his set where the phone wont switch to landscape unless he opens the keyboard.
    I see the setting and it's definitely turned on. I searched around google and found a couple other forums describing this problem. I'm sure it will be fixed in a software update in no time.
    11-06-09 01:47 AM
    Only thing I can answer for sure is the homescreen does not go horizontal. This was mentioned in several reviews. Planned, I don't know. I am sure there will be some bugs like any new device. Supposed to be a couple of updates coming up as well.

11-06-09 04:53 AM
    Only thing I can answer for sure is the homescreen does not go horizontal. This was mentioned in several reviews. Planned, I don't know. I am sure there will be some bugs like any new device. Supposed to be a couple of updates coming up as well.

No, the home screen CAN go horizontal. It's just that to go horizontal, you MUST slide out the QWERTY. Simply turning the phone sideways will not make the homescreen go landscape. Seems like a rather big oversight.
    11-06-09 05:16 AM
    This is what I meant. I hope this is an oversight as well

11-06-09 05:25 AM
    I think the homescreen not going in landscape is meant to be that way. The iPhone is the same way. The storm can rotate on the homescreen however it gets rather annoying.

11-06-09 05:25 AM
    I think the homescreen not going in landscape is meant to be that way. The iPhone is the same way. The storm can rotate on the homescreen however it gets rather annoying.

Yes, but why would it be meant to go landscape with the QWERTY slider, but not by simply turning the phone sideways? It just doesn't make sense.
    11-06-09 05:37 AM
    Its not a big deal to me. I'd actually rather have it that way because my storm has turned me off to auto rotating on the homescreen. Just my personal preference.

11-06-09 05:44 AM
    i've noticed with some other android phones if you become the "root" user you might have an option to make it do this. Don't quote me on this as I don't have the phone and I don't think people know how to become root just yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    11-06-09 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD