If I have a regular POP3 email account from my ISP is that OK for a Driod? I don't want to forward it to gmail. I don't care if the thing only searches for it every 5-10 minutes or not. Thanks
    11-20-09 11:44 AM
    It will be fine
    11-20-09 12:00 PM
    It will be fine
    What program is he going to use to check POP3? The Droid comes standard ready for Gmail and Exchange? Anytime I've had to add a non-gmail account it was added through my gmail account as an aggregated email address. So I'd be curious to see how you do it.
    11-20-09 12:30 PM
    What program is he going to use to check POP3? The Droid comes standard ready for Gmail and Exchange? Anytime I've had to add a non-gmail account it was added through my gmail account as an aggregated email address. So I'd be curious to see how you do it.
    Do you actually own a Droid, cuz if you couldn't figure this out, I'm guessing you don't...

Touch Email Icon
    Enter Email address and password
    Touch Manual Setup
    Touch POP3
    Enter POP3 info.
    11-20-09 12:49 PM
    **hijack** (sorry)

I currently use the Gmail app for the Curve 8330. Links within emails can't be clicked or copied. Is it true that emails on the Droid are the same way?
    11-20-09 01:13 PM
    If you get a Droid tell your ISP provider to forward mail to your gmail account. It will be just as fast as your gmail to the phone. I get my mail in 20 secs.
    11-20-09 01:26 PM
    I don't know why (personal) current and prospcective Android users just don't take this opportunity to permanently change email service to Gmail, instead of using paid ISP/utility company email service

These free emails are tied to you subscribing to their service. Unless you don't plan on moving or changing services, you will have to change email service eventually. This is a way for them to make your switching decision harder.

Gmail is not the king of email, but I am sure it's better than email service provided by your utility company. Gmail works well with Android, iPhone/iTouch, BlackBerry, Windows, Mac, Linux, and the future Chrome OS. It's free and you take it with you. How can you go wrong?
    Last edited by leskchan; 11-20-09 at 03:54 PM.
    11-20-09 03:46 PM

Gmail is not the king of email, but I am sure it's better than email service provided by your utility company. Gmail works well with Android, iPhone/iTouch, BlackBerry, Windows, Mac, Linux, and the future Chrome OS. It's free and you take it with you. How can you go wrong?
    Not to mention you can host 50 of your own personalized email accounts (ie: [email protected]) for free via Google Apps - as long as you have a web host.
    11-20-09 03:49 PM
    Well as with many I have used the same email addresses for quite awhile. I have to have internet and the addresses are supplied through that as part of their service to my home. With BIS the email just shows up. All I want to know is with a Droid do I just enter the server address and password and does it just show up, or do I have to open a Gmail account and deal with that to make it show up? I want the same email address of course.
    11-20-09 08:19 PM
    This is why they gave you that email address to keep you from changing service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 08:24 PM
    This is why they gave you that email address to keep you from changing service.

No you don't get it. I get internet service that comes with email addresses. I have no need to change it. Google won't give me internet for free lol. I don't need gmail or hotmail or yahoomail. Email is fine. That was my question.
    11-20-09 08:29 PM
    Are you going to stay with this ISP forever? If a better ISP can provide you better and cheaper service, will you switch. Or "I can't switch because I have this email address for so long".

What happen if you have to move? Never say never.

11-20-09 08:37 PM
    Are you going to stay with this ISP forever? If a better ISP can provide you better and cheaper service, will you switch. Or "I can't switch because I have this email address for so long".

What happen if you have to move? Never say never.

Sounds like I'm coming across over your head dude. I'm not switching ISPs or email addresses because I don't need to. I'm just asking if using the droid with what I'm using is smooth like it is with my BB, or not.
    11-20-09 08:40 PM
    You want to continue to use inferior email service, that's up to you. Other might find the info useful. You can only lead a horse to water.

11-20-09 08:46 PM
    My email works great. That's why I don't wanna mess with it. People can get ahold of me anytime. I'm good with it. I just am interested whether it would work as well with the Droid as it does on my BB. I don't need instant push, just email that gets to my phone fast. That was my question if you'd read it again carefully. I don't think you know the answer to my question, but thanks anyway.
    11-20-09 08:50 PM
    You want to continue to use inferior email service, that's up to you. Other might find the info useful. You can only lead a horse to water.

He's not asking for your philosophy on ISPs and email providers, he just wants to know if he can check his email.
    11-20-09 08:52 PM
    I dont move my mail to gmail because I have my own email server with multiple email accounts on a dedicated, co-located server.

anyone who has a business email address will prefer to use it over gmail for several reasons, one is branding, the other is so the person you are writing knows who you are. If someone give me a business email that is yahoo or google, I dont take them seriously.

I don't know why (personal) current and prospcective Android users just don't take this opportunity to permanently change email service to Gmail, instead of using paid ISP/utility company email service

These free emails are tied to you subscribing to their service. Unless you don't plan on moving or changing services, you will have to change email service eventually. This is a way for them to make your switching decision harder.

11-20-09 09:48 PM
    yes you can check a regular pop3 acocunt on the droid, but its slow and not very smooth at all. The droid is a toy, not really ment for business email. I got the droid for my wife and setup her email on it... I am trying to remove it and I set it to not answer her mail any more...it does the gmail just fine tho, but we do not use gmail.

If I have a regular POP3 email account from my ISP is that OK for a Driod? I don't want to forward it to gmail. I don't care if the thing only searches for it every 5-10 minutes or not. Thanks
    11-20-09 09:50 PM
    no it does not just show up. you have settings, you tell it how often you want it to check for email, but its buggy if you get alot of mail, it had problems grabbing my wifes mail. With a storm and storm 2, there is no problems, email is instant.

Well as with many I have used the same email addresses for quite awhile. I have to have internet and the addresses are supplied through that as part of their service to my home. With BIS the email just shows up. All I want to know is with a Droid do I just enter the server address and password and does it just show up, or do I have to open a Gmail account and deal with that to make it show up? I want the same email address of course.
    11-20-09 09:53 PM
    For domain email, it's not cost effective to colocate your email server/software anymore.

Google Apps can host your domain email. The standard edition is free. Google Apps is more than email hosting, it's suite of communication tools.

This is cloud computing

11-20-09 09:57 PM
    you just love the gmail...LOL

let me explain using something like gmail, when you use gmail you risk not gettign emails because gmail has filters and they auto block email that their system says may be spam, even if its not. I know because I have to deal with sending stuff to gmail users every day, yahoo is just as bad, AOL is the worst.
    If you put your trust in someone elses filters then thats a chance your taking. Its not a chance I would take.

11-20-09 09:57 PM
    dood, I have two email servers, video server, chat server, DNS, web, on unix and windows machines on the east coast and the west coast. Cost effective... we have been doing this since 1997, the costs are all tax deductable - gmail is for little old ladys and kids

For domain email, it's not cost effective to colocate your email server/software anymore.

Google Apps can host your domain email. The standard edition is free. Google Apps is more than email hosting, it's suite of communication tools.

This is cloud computing

11-20-09 10:02 PM
    You have to separate personal from business use.

For personal use, that how Gmail works. It's the same for all free email services. Users have little control. Gmail is much better at it, that's for sure.

For business, Google Apps is almost like exchange. You have full control of spam/virus control both inbound and outbound. Unless you are running Exchange or Lotus Notes, there is no way you have better cummunication suite running on your.

Don't knock until you study the features.

11-20-09 10:09 PM
    dood, I have two email servers, video server, chat server, DNS, web, on unix and windows machines on the east coast and the west coast. Cost effective... we have been doing this since 1997, the costs are all tax deductable - gmail is for little old ladys and kids
    First, how many businesses need all these severs for their business. I am sure you need them to do whatever your business does. Unless you are recommending all business should colocate there emails server and hire someone to maintain it.

Second, tax deductible. What kind of account are you running. The expense offset the income, but only reduce your tax liability. If your annual cost of running these servers are $1,000 and your tax rate is 25%, you save $250 in tax, but still spent $750. Free is free.
    11-20-09 10:20 PM
    gmail is for little old ladys and kids
    You need to go to Google Apps client lists to who is using Google Apps.
    11-20-09 10:23 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD