So I heard that the Droid unlimited data plan is being caped at 5Gig.... Is that true? That is not unlimited!
    11-06-09 10:32 AM
    all smartphones have that cap
    11-06-09 10:39 AM
    It's like the difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law.

The spirit of the plan IS unlimited, however the letter of the plan is not. The cap is simply meant to curtail abuse.

Do you know exactly how much data 5GB is? I mean it's a LOT.

If yes, please describe for me a situation that doesn't involve tethering where you would hit that cap.
    11-06-09 10:40 AM
    It's kind of an unspoken cap. 5GB of bandwidth is quite a bit of data on a mobile phone. If you exceed 5GB once or twice, you're not likely to get put in time out, but if you continue to go over the 5GB, you may get a talking to.
    11-06-09 10:43 AM
    5GB is definitely ALOT to hit BUT with video streaming, music streaming, emails and dont forget Google Navigation. Im sure if someone lived on this phone they could possibly hit that 5GB mark. Imagine if you had the DROID dock in your car, used it to stream Pandora all day driving, at the same time you use Google Navigation with layers and all its features everyday. Couldnt it be possible?

I personally only hit about 30-40MB on my Storm but i really only use it for email and light web surfing.
    11-06-09 11:07 AM
    i still have true unlimited plan from verizon; they're trying to make me change my plan by offering free equipment... my data is around 15 - 20 gigs / month, so yeah, i live off the data plan
    11-06-09 11:10 AM
    please don't quote misinformed stories. That has always been the case. 30 for unlimited (5gb) data and an additional 30 a month to tether. Check your own rates.
    11-06-09 11:19 AM
    It's kind of an unspoken cap.
    It's not unspoken. And it's not a cap.

It's spelled out quite clearly in the Unlimited Data Plan Terms Of Service.

A cap would imply that after 5 gigs you are cut off. In fact, you are not cut off, or even charged extra. They simply reserve the right to restrict your service - i.e. slow down your connection.
    11-06-09 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD