Some (that don't know better) will tend to refer to all android devices as "Droid"

It's a good thing for Verizon because Droid being Verizon and George Lucas trademark get their product easy recognition. The confusion begins when for example myself, I have been approached many times and asked if my phone is a "Droid?"

I try to explain that Droid is unique brand for Verizon Android phones and my device is an Android device but not a Droid. This tends to confuse the majority of people that don't know anything about Android. All they know is the Verizon Droid commercials.

Yeah I know it's a petty point but I have seen this mix up and misnaming on this very message board numerous times.
    12-14-10 11:22 PM
    If you think about it, the Verizon line sticks out because of the Droid prefix. Droid Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2, etc. They all get stuck in the head through osmosis. Where as Evo, Nexus One, Galaxy S, G1/2, etc. are almost considered individual phones.
    12-14-10 11:35 PM
    If you think about it, the Verizon line sticks out because of the Droid prefix. Droid Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2, etc. They all get stuck in the head through osmosis. Where as Evo, Nexus One, Galaxy S, G1/2, etc. are almost considered individual phones.
    That's a good thing for Verizon, it's successful advertising.

I know an EVO owner that swore his phone wasn't an Android device...when I asked him "how do you like Android?" he said "those are just for Verizon, I don't have a Droid I have an EVO" This is a true story.
    12-14-10 11:42 PM
    And of the Verizon Droids I see advertised, they are in fact Droids - Droid X, Droid 2, and Droid Pro. Around here they don't really advertise much else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 12:17 AM
    And to confuse even more, not all Android devices on Verizon were Droids. The Ally, Eris, and Devour come to mind.
    12-15-10 12:25 AM
    People are are dumb, and just plain ignorant, nothing you say will change that...

Just shake your head, bite your tongue, take a deep breath, and move on. I need to remind myself of this daily, can be applied to so many things in life...
    12-15-10 12:31 AM
    People are are dumb, and just plain ignorant, nothing you say will change that...

Just shake your head, bite your tongue, take a deep breath, and move on. I need to remind myself of this daily, can be applied to so many things in life...
    I agree, with the general assessment of people LOL. I see it on the road nearly every day. Each time I see a person rolling down the center lane which is suppose to be used for turning only all because they couldn't wait just one car more before pulling out. However, in all fairness when it comes to the commercials, you have Verizon saying "Droid Does" and every other commercial saying absolutely nothing about whether or not a particular phone possesses the Android OS. In the beginning, Verizon promoted the Droid and made all sorts of noise about how the Motorola Droid came with the Android OS. I've seen all the commercials, over and over and over and....well, you get my point. In fact, one commercial promoting Evo advertises nothing except the website. I recall seeing Galaxy S being promoted, how awesome both the phone and the tablet is, but not what OS they possess. Verizon has since stopped gushing about how the Droid comes with the Android OS, but because it's a Droid, it's now stuck in the heads of the uninformed.
    12-15-10 01:22 AM
    Allow me to play devil's advocate and suggest a counterpoint: how many everyday consumers can say what OS powers the iPhone? It may be that it isn't the OSs that sell devices.

12-15-10 06:41 AM
    Allow me to play devil's advocate and suggest a counterpoint: how many everyday consumers can say what OS powers the iPhone? It may be that it isn't the OSs that sell devices.

I agree with this the most. People see "iPhone" and instantly think "cool/hip/trendy/APPLICATIONS/BROWser" and really have no clue that it's an iOS device nor what version of the iOS they have on their phone. The same can be said with Android, alot of people walk in to T-Mobile, ATT or Sprint and see anything that resembles the "droid" name and instantly think it's going to be a mock of Verzion's Droid and want it. When infact is the same exact OS on the phone, just a different skin. The typical consumer doesn't know there is a difference between Firmware Versions, or Kernel/Baseband Versions. All they see is the name and i big bright screen with "market" or "app store" with a figurative Halo around it.
    12-15-10 08:03 AM
    It is petty annoying. Kind of like its vs it's; your vs you're; there vs their; however, online I run across these and other elementary errors. They are annoying to read, and when people think android and droid are the same thing, it does annoy me on the same level. I know they mean well, and just don't have the "smart phone" education if you will. Maybe this thread clears that up for a few, and if it does, this thread has some win.
    12-15-10 09:05 AM
    I agree with most. Many people don't really care about what powers their technology and most probably can't tell you what version of Windows or Mac OS they've got on their computer.

We are in the extreme minority of consumers: the device enthusiasts. We do care about our OS, devices, and tweaking them to our liking.

Still it is irritating that folks can't distinguish between "Android" the operating system and "Droid" one manufacturer's line of phones that runs the Android OS.
    12-15-10 10:12 AM
    I agree with most. Many people don't really care about what powers their technology and most probably can't tell you what version of Windows or Mac OS they've got on their computer.

We are in the extreme minority of consumers: the device enthusiasts. We do care about our OS, devices, and tweaking them to our liking.

Still it is irritating that folks can't distinguish between "Android" the operating system and "Droid" one manufacturer's line of phones that runs the Android OS.
    You're correct most people don't care what technology goes into what electronic devices they buy and most are uneducated or just clueless.

Ask anyone how many cylinders does their car engine have and most will not have the slightest clue. Companies tend to dumb down the consumer and don't educate what it is exactly they are buying.
    Last edited by JD914; 12-15-10 at 11:06 AM.
    12-15-10 11:02 AM
    It is petty annoying. Kind of like its vs it's; your vs you're; there vs their; however, online I run across these and other elementary errors.
    Jello/Gelatin
    Pampers/diapers
    Band Aid/Bandage

and now on that list:
    Droid/Android
    Thanks Verizon!
    12-15-10 11:05 AM
    It is petty annoying. Kind of like its vs it's; your vs you're; there vs their; however, online I run across these and other elementary errors. They are annoying to read, and when people think android and droid are the same thing, it does annoy me on the same level. I know they mean well, and just don't have the "smart phone" education if you will. Maybe this thread clears that up for a few, and if it does, this thread has some win.
    Kind of like when you called the Motorola Droid the Droid 1. I found that annoying. There is no Droid 1 or Storm 1 or enV 1 or Omnia 1.

12-15-10 11:17 AM
    Once everyone has assimilated no one will care. Watch out for the borge/android.
    12-15-10 11:23 AM
    You're correct most people don't care what technology goes into what electronic devices they buy and most are uneducated or just clueless.

Ask anyone how many cylinders does their car engine have and most will not have the slightest clue. Companies tend to dumb down the consumer and don't educate what it is exactly they are buying.
    Yea... people just care that it works and does what they want it to do, nothing more, nothing less. They have soccer practice to get to, or Facebook status' to update...

It reminds me... The year the Mazda RX-8 came out I helped with their booth at the State Fair to answer questions. It was amazing the amount of "How many cylinders does it have?" questions that I was asked. It really gave me some insight into how clueless, ignorant, and complete lack of caring that people have...
    12-15-10 11:25 AM
    Kind of like when you called the Motorola Droid the Droid 1. I found that annoying. There is no Droid 1 or Storm 1 or enV 1 or Omnia 1.

I agree with you on that one. Some sites refer to the Droid as "OG Droid".

But what also gets me is people being lazy and instead of typing out or calling the phone it's proper name, they call them other names.

For example:
    The phone is called the Droid Incredible, not DInc, not the Incred.
    Also:
    The phone is called the Droid X, not DX, not X.

Other mispronounced phones: D2(Droid 2) D2G(Droid 2 Global) Or 2(Droid 2)
    12-15-10 11:34 AM
    Jello/Gelatin
    Pampers/diapers
    Band Aid/Bandage

and now on that list:
    Droid/Android
    Thanks Verizon!
    Exactly. I am a pre med student, and we call bandages "bandages." I am sure chefs that know what they are doing don't call gelatin "jello" unless they needed a laugh. let us look at the large picture. If you have been on some tech forums for some time and are calling the evo a droid, we laugh, that's all. This proves branding done well can fool a great number of sheep on one word. I could add to your list, but it annoys me, ha ha.
    12-15-10 11:34 AM
    I agree with you on that one. Some sites refer to the Droid as "OG Droid".

But what also gets me is people being lazy and instead of typing out or calling the phone it's proper name, they call them other names.

For example:
    The phone is called the Droid Incredible, not DInc, not the Incred.
    Also:
    The phone is called the Droid X, not DX, not X.

Other mispronounced phones: D2(Droid 2) D2G(Droid 2 Global) Or 2(Droid 2)
    Meh I have no problems with this and it doesn't upset me at the end of the day because I know what these abbreviations mean and I didn't invent the devices being labeled with nicknames. I call my Droid X the DX all the time. No big deal IMO but I can see some people getting pissed off for some reason or another.

And back to the original point. Expect people to get confused because of ignorance and lack of common sense. If people don't realize they are Android devices they are morons. It clearly states Android when you first set up your device. The market is CLEARLY called the "Android Market". If they don't figure that out sooner or later, then they are better off on the iPhone where everything is easy-mode, including the name of the device.
    12-15-10 11:55 AM
    Just good marketing
    12-15-10 12:22 PM
    I don't have a major problem with it either. I am not gonna ask my wife, "honey, where is my HTC supersonic 9xxxx powered by Android on the Sprint Network?"

I have no problem with abbreviations. And, while I do readily admit to catching myself whenever someone uses "Droid" as a blanket term for the whole OS, I think it's presumptuous to assume that people who don't know are ignorant or stupid.

My doctor uses a Dinc *ducks*. I doubt he knows an OS from a syringe, but he probably is a better example of the mainstream consumer that makes Android a formidable platform. He just loves his device (which he calls "my medical Droid").

The majority of consumers just don't care. And that's alright.

12-15-10 12:28 PM

And a lot of the time it's the consumer's fault for not being curious about the fine details; simply asking for a product that does function x, y, and z, fulfills a social need and/or is the object of their desire is an easy sell. Why dissuade a guaranteed customer from getting something by giving them what we deem "necessary information". I used to date a girl that would actually leave stores if reps tried to explain anything. On the plus side she was also impossible to up-sell. Fact remains that she didn't care about the details if it wasn't one of her hobbies, and that's the norm for most folks.

On a side note, she now has a Samsung Epic, and knows it's an Android device.
    12-15-10 12:35 PM
    Meh I have no problems with this and it doesn't upset me at the end of the day because I know what these abbreviations mean and I didn't invent the devices being labeled with nicknames. I call my Droid X the DX all the time. No big deal IMO but I can see some people getting pissed off for some reason or another.

And back to the original point. Expect people to get confused because of ignorance and lack of common sense. If people don't realize they are Android devices they are morons. It clearly states Android when you first set up your device. The market is CLEARLY called the "Android Market". If they don't figure that out sooner or later, then they are better off on the iPhone where everything is easy-mode, including the name of the device.
    Yea but it sounds stupid when someone goes into a VZW store and ask about or is having trouble with their Droid X or Droid Incredible and refer to it as a DX or DInc lol.

I was in a VZW store a few months ago, and this guy said to the rep "I seem to be having problems with my X" just like that. The rep said "excuse me" dude said it again. The rep was like you are in the wrong place for that. So the guy said "huh don't yall check to see what is wrong with a persons phone?"

The rep, while shaking her head, said "wait, let's over". What is it that you are here for? He pulled out his phone and said something was wrong with it. She said "why didn't you say that in the first place?" He said "I did".

She shook her head again and went to check the phone out. Me, the guard and 2 other people were cracking up.
    12-15-10 12:38 PM
    Yea but it sounds stupid when someone goes into a VZW store and ask about or is having trouble with their Droid X or Droid Incredible and refer to it as a DX or DInc lol.

I was in a VZW store a few months ago, and this guy said to the rep "I seem to be having problems with my X" just like that. The rep said "excuse me" dude said it again. The rep was like you are in the wrong place for that. So the guy said "huh don't yall check to see what is wrong with a persons phone?"

The rep, while shaking her head, said "wait, let's over". What is it that you are here for? He pulled out his phone and said something was wrong with it. She said "why didn't you say that in the first place?" He said "I did".

She shook her head again and went to check the phone out. Me, the guard and 2 other people were cracking up.
    Oh well that's a different story lol. Right now we are on a smartphone forum. Most of us are educated enough to know the "street" lingo here. When I say DX, you can even see my device listing and figure out what I mean. I don't walk around the streets calling my device the DX. When people come up to me and ask what phone I have, I say "the Droid X".

It's one thing to say it on forums or with people who know what you mean (smartphone enthusiast), but to a random VZW rep, lol....
    12-15-10 12:43 PM

Love this story....LMAO
    12-15-10 01:00 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD