Wow...I think I just killed my Droid! I wanted to pull the SD card to put another one in, so I went into setting and unmounted the SD card. I then pulled the battery out, swapped the SD card, and put the battery back in.

The phone won't turn on! I put the original SD card back in, it still won't turn on.

It has been about 15 minutes, and I cannot get the phone to turn on. I've put it in the dock, hooked it up to the charger, everything!

Just a warning, beware of a battery pull! It looks like I'm going to Best Buy to make an exchange!
    11-07-09 08:03 AM
    Did you turn it off before you pulled the battery? You can actually turn this off, unlike most blackberries where they go into a "standby" mode.
    11-07-09 08:05 AM
    kind of a dumb question, but did you make sure you put the battery back in correctly? (i know, i know)
    11-07-09 08:24 AM
    I didn't turn it off (although I know you can), and I have made sure repeatedly that the battery is in the right way.

I was JUST BARELY able to get it to power on (it isn't even done powering on yet). It was so wierd. For about 25 minutes it wouldn't turn on, but it is now.

Oh well. Lesson learned: turn it off before pulling the battery. If you pull the battery Droid gets angry :-)
    11-07-09 08:26 AM
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!

I think it's just angry that you treated it like a Blackberry and just pulled the battery without any consideration >:O

So, you cannot remove the MicroSD card without taking out the battery in the Droid?
    11-07-09 08:30 AM
    Correct just like the 8330 curve.
    11-07-09 08:35 AM
    I didn't turn it off (although I know you can), and I have made sure repeatedly that the battery is in the right way.

I was JUST BARELY able to get it to power on (it isn't even done powering on yet). It was so wierd. For about 25 minutes it wouldn't turn on, but it is now.

Oh well. Lesson learned: turn it off before pulling the battery. If you pull the battery Droid gets angry :-)
    That's good news. If I were you, I would have been crying for those 25 minutes

Thanks for testing this for the rest of us.
    11-07-09 08:42 AM
    That's good news. If I were you, I would have been crying for those 25 minutes

Thanks for testing this for the rest of us.
    I'm not going to lie, those 25 minutes were pretty tough.

Fortunately I was pre-occupied with trying to get iTunes Agent installed and setup.

I LOVE THIS PHONE!
    11-07-09 08:59 AM
    I did the same thing and pulled the battery out without turning it off when I went to take my SD card out. Mine didn't refuse to power on, but when it booted back up, it was running at a snail's pace. I powered it down, then turned it back on and everything was fine again. I guess battery pulls are not something that carry over from a BlackBerry.
    11-07-09 09:08 AM
    What is this ITunes agent you speak of.....?
    11-07-09 11:58 PM
    The Droid became aware. It was basically a warning to never try to stop it again.
    11-08-09 01:08 AM
    Why would you need to pull the battery? Was it required to get at the SD card?
    11-08-09 08:47 AM
    I am wondering the same and is it something that is compatible with Mac?
    11-08-09 08:55 AM
    How much power did the battery have before you pulled it? I've pulled mine, after turning it to off anyway, and didn't have any problems. I'm just guessing here, and comparing it to my old storm. I thought I killed my storm once but it just didn't have enough juice to boot up, so after I left it on the charger for a while it came back.

The droid also will not run without a battery, even when plugged in. So I'm guessing if the battery is completely dead or defective, you don't get anything until it gets a minimum charge.
    11-08-09 08:58 AM
    Why would you need to pull the battery? Was it required to get at the SD card?
    Yes the SD card is right above the battery and it is fixed in a spot lower then the width of the battery so you have to remove it to be able to pull out the SD card
    11-08-09 09:00 AM
    iTunes agent is a program that syncs iTunes onto my Droid. I didn't like it that much though, so I ended up using Salling Media Sync (the free version). It syncs your music, videos, photos, and podcasts from iTunes to the Droid.
    11-08-09 09:10 AM
    Funny, Verizon's website vid shows "swapping drained battery with a charged one"...I wouldn't think they would promote that if it took so long to reboot
    11-08-09 10:16 AM
    Haha I pulled my battery with no issues to change SD card did it in the hair cut place and when my phone powered on and said "Dddrrrooiiiddd" everyone looked at me, sweet lol
    11-08-09 10:34 AM
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!

I think it's just angry that you treated it like a Blackberry and just pulled the battery without any consideration >:O

So, you cannot remove the MicroSD card without taking out the battery in the Droid?
    I believe the Moto droid's MicroSD card is behind the battery. But I went to swap out the MicroSD in my Eris last night and removed my battery just to find out that I didn't have to. On the Eris, the MicroSD is inserted right next to the battery.
    11-08-09 10:40 AM
    There's an app for that
    11-08-09 09:50 PM
    i have not had any issues with pulling the battery. this is curious.
    11-09-09 09:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD