Since the Droid X bootloader is locked down it doesnt look like there will be any custom roms to it. Does this change your mind about the phone at all? I was on the fence about selling my DInc and getting this. But now I have decided to stay with my DInc.

Here is the story if you didnt read it yet:

Droid X Bootloader is Locked | Android Phone Fans
    07-12-10 08:15 AM
    Nah not one bit........
    07-12-10 08:22 AM
    Yes, mind changed. Next.......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 08:37 AM
    Yes, mind changed. Next.......

This coming from a Storm user???
    07-12-10 09:22 AM
    Ops need to change that. Been on a Droid for six months.

07-12-10 10:39 AM
    Since the Droid X bootloader is locked down it doesnt look like there will be any custom roms to it. Does this change your mind about the phone at all? I was on the fence about selling my DInc and getting this. But now I have decided to stay with my DInc.

Here is the story if you didnt read it yet:

Droid X Bootloader is Locked | Android Phone Fans

With people like XDA and cyanogen out there you really think it will stay locked forever?

and with Wi-Fi Tether and USB tether being made into the 2.2Firmware... is being rooted really needed?

Last edited by mjneid; 07-12-10 at 11:17 AM.
    07-12-10 10:59 AM
    If I didn't have the incredible, the x would be the phone to get.

07-12-10 11:35 AM
    With people like XDA and cyanogen out there you really think it will stay locked forever?

and with Wi-Fi Tether and USB tether being made into the 2.2Firmware... is being rooted really needed?

The milestone is still being worked on and they said this could be more detailed than that one was so who knows. You do know you can do far more than Wi-Fi and USB tethering with root right?
    Last edited by Lynx83; 07-12-10 at 11:56 AM.
    07-12-10 11:52 AM
    The milestone is still being worked on and they said this could be more detailed than that one was so who knows. You do know you can do far more than Wi-Fi and USB tethering with root right?
    Yes, but those are the two main reason average joe and jane smith will want out of rooting.

07-12-10 12:23 PM
    Yes, but those are the two main reason average joe and jane smith will want out of rooting.

You dont even need root to USB tether though. Ya I get your point but the people who are going to root will want more than that. The average joe and jane wont even bother.
    07-12-10 12:25 PM
    I don't think it is a big deal really. I know rooting is cool and it is awesome to overclock your phone just for fun and to get more speed, but with the devices becoming faster and the OS becoming better. I really think after awhile it will seem to be a waste of time to do these types of modifications.. Most people don't really know how to do things like overclocking and rooting so it won't matter any way to the majority of people who are happy with the way the droid devices are now.
    07-12-10 12:44 PM
    I don't think it is a big deal really. I know rooting is cool and it is awesome to overclock your phone just for fun and to get more speed, but with the devices becoming faster and the OS becoming better. I really think after awhile it will seem to be a waste of time to do these types of modifications.. Most people don't really know how to do things like overclocking and rooting so it won't matter any way to the majority of people who are happy with the way the droid devices are now.
    The only reason I would want to root is to change the color of the notification bar.....
    Other than that I am fine.
    07-12-10 12:48 PM
    The only reason I would want to root is to change the color of the notification bar.....
    Other than that I am fine.
    Hahaha.

Maybe when things slow down in the droid OS, maybe they will listen to users and implement some ideas such as changing the color of your notification bar? What do you think?
    07-12-10 12:52 PM
    I have the Incredible now, and will be ordering the X on Thursday. I will give it a shot, and then decide which one to keep, if not both.
    07-12-10 01:05 PM
    Nothing is impossible, the harder they try to block it, the harder others work to break it
    07-12-10 03:12 PM
    Doesn't make one bit of difference to me.
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 07-12-10 at 04:04 PM.
    07-12-10 04:02 PM
    Hahaha.

Maybe when things slow down in the droid OS, maybe they will listen to users and implement some ideas such as changing the color of your notification bar? What do you think?
    One can only hope. Maybe a letter is in order
    07-12-10 04:26 PM
    No need to root, it doesn't factor in my decision at all
    07-12-10 06:21 PM
    why would anyone need wifi tethering? If you have wifi why not use that for the computer or device in the first place?
    07-12-10 06:50 PM
    why would anyone need wifi tethering? If you have wifi why not use that for the computer or device in the first place?
    /facepalm

Back on topic, it will get hacked eventually.
    07-12-10 06:53 PM
    /facepalm

Back on topic, it will get hacked eventually.
    no facepalm needed, I really don't get the point.

are you just talking about using your phone data plan to wireless connect to your pc? Is that called wifi or something else?
    07-12-10 07:07 PM
    wifi tether is when you use you phone to act as your wifi connection so your laptop can be on the net when you don't have wifi

Will you be able to load themes? I would be pretty happy with just root but I love the theme aspect.
    07-12-10 07:12 PM
    I won't buy it until it is rooted. I like my extra freedom.
    07-12-10 07:35 PM
    The phone looks sweet but my Droid is just as fast at 1GHz and I'm waiting for more information on the 2GHz Droid.
    07-12-10 07:51 PM
    lets see...stay with my tour with a battery that trains basically 2x a day....always has an hour glass...and is slow as ****. or upgrade and not root but have no lag? you tell me hahah
    07-12-10 08:16 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD