I'm seriously looking at Android phones due to tons of Tour probs. Anyway, there are some BB apps that are 'must have' for me. I was wondering if there are similar apps for android?

Vlingo (speech to text. voice command for everything from composing Text, Email, placing calls, etc.)
    SlickTasks (heaviest used app, organizes tasks in To Do List with multiple alarm reminder choices, multiple fonts/colors for tasks (e.g. higher priority in bold red, etc.)
    YouMail (voicemail with immediate playback without dialing in)

That's about it. Appreciate any guidance on where I can look for myself, too. Android world is completely foreign to me.
    07-20-10 08:52 PM
    I'm seriously looking at Android phones due to tons of Tour probs. Anyway, there are some BB apps that are 'must have' for me. I was wondering if there are similar apps for android?

Vlingo (speech to text. voice command for everything from composing Text, Email, placing calls, etc.)
    SlickTasks (heaviest used app, organizes tasks in To Do List with multiple alarm reminder choices, multiple fonts/colors for tasks (e.g. higher priority in bold red, etc.)
    YouMail (voicemail with immediate playback without dialing in)

That's about it. Appreciate any guidance on where I can look for myself, too. Android world is completely foreign to me.
    1. Android 2.1 has speech to text throughout the OS so an app isnt necessary. However if you want vlingo still it is in the market.

2. There are a bunch of task managers out there. I just use my gmail calendar. Some of the most popular ones are "Remember The Milk" and "Astrid"

3. YouMail is also in the market

Hope this helps you out. I made the jump from Tour to Android and it was the best decision I made in terms of cell phones.
    07-20-10 09:36 PM
    Thanks so much! Appreciate the info on the apps and your opinion on the phone.

Just so I'm clear, are you saying the apps I mentioned will run on both BB OS as well as Android OS? No different development/programming is needed? (I've been kind of viewing this as a Windows/Mac scenario, and anything developed for BB would have to be tweaked to run on Android.) Or is it that some of the more popular BB apps have already been designed for Android now as well?
    07-20-10 10:04 PM
    Btw if you want to try Google Voice, its much better than Youmail in my opinion and open to all who live in the US atm. And of coarse its Android integration is superb.
    07-20-10 11:04 PM

Just so I'm clear, are you saying the apps I mentioned will run on both BB OS as well as Android OS? No different development/programming is needed? (I've been kind of viewing this as a Windows/Mac scenario, and anything developed for BB would have to be tweaked to run on Android.) Or is it that some of the more popular BB apps have already been designed for Android now as well?
    Most apps these days are cross platform, so finding the apps that you know and love from BB will be easy. Otherwise, there is always an comparable alternative. Like I've been suggesting for the past week, check out AppBrain. If you already have a GMail account, go ahead and set up your AppBrain log in and start searching for Android apps. When you find the apps that you like, just add them to your app list. When you decide to make the jump to Android, just download the app on your phone and click install all from the phone. Easy as 1-2-3!
    07-20-10 11:37 PM

They are ports of the application. IOWs, the developers designed versions that work on Android.

Now, the thing with portsis that depending on any number of factors (viability of profit potential, ease of development, etc), quality can be different across ports. I have seen a couple of apps where the app for, say iOS is better than the BB port. In some cases, it is just easier to develop on the one platform. For instance, there is a popular password keeper that offers OTA syncing between device and desktop for the one platform but not for another.

Android, in my experience, has the most vibrant ports around. There are significantly more apps available for Android than BB, so you'll find just about anything you can find on BB (or a worthy alternative).

There are a couple ways that I can say I prefer Youmail to GV, too...
    07-20-10 11:40 PM
    Vlingo: Words to Action
    by Vlingo Corp.
    1,000 downloads, 229 ratings (3.8 avg)
    $9.99
    07-21-10 02:33 AM
    I feel like I've just crossed into the light or something!
    I had no idea! Don't know how or where I got the notion since Android is the newer kid on the block that app offerings still have catching up to do. AppBrain is loaded with good stuff!
    Thanks so much for the technical explanations of how the OSs work and ports.

Time to get off the berry-go-round and do some shopping.
    07-21-10 01:32 PM
    I feel like I've just crossed into the light or something!
    I had no idea! Don't know how or where I got the notion since Android is the newer kid on the block that app offerings still have catching up to do. AppBrain is loaded with good stuff!
    Thanks so much for the technical explanations of how the OSs work and ports.

Time to get off the berry-go-round and do some shopping.
    I lol'd at "Berry-go-round". Ya the Android market has over 70k apps in it already. And growing by the day!
    07-21-10 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD