Mozilla Launches Firefox OS For Mobile, Challenging Apple And Google With The Open Web - Forbes

Looks like Mozilla's got some big players backing them. Four OEMs including LG, ZTE and Huawei.

Are Apple and Goog resting on their laurels?

This could be devastating to android. Apples already pretty much screwed in not being able to offer anything to the low end market. They really should have done a better job protecting their brand and staying high-end but I think with its large marketshare they've largely eroded their high-end appeal.
    02-24-13 06:42 PM
    Mozilla Launches Firefox OS For Mobile, Challenging Apple And Google With The Open Web - Forbes

Looks like Mozilla's got some big players backing them. Four OEMs including LG, ZTE and Huawei.

This could be devastating to android. Apples already pretty much screwed in not being able to offer anything to the low end market. They really should have done a better job protecting their brand and staying high-end but I think with its large marketshare they've largely eroded their high-end appeal.
    What's the word on the ecosystem? I'm behind on Mozilla development.

I like it though... I like that new players are getting involved. Forces the leaders to work.
    02-24-13 07:05 PM
    What's the word on the ecosystem? I'm behind on Mozilla development.

I like it though... I like that new players are getting involved. Forces the leaders to work.
    They mention ecosystems in the article. I think ecosystems are most important in NA. Probably not as important in developing countries, hopefully that doesnt come off wrong.

Todd Simpson, Mozilla’s chief innovation officer:1
    "We aren’t trying to build up a closed ecosystem,”

Two things in the article that stand out is it says there are 8 million HTML5 developers and only hundreds ot thousands of iOS and android. So a 10:1 ratio.
    The other is "Tizen from Samsung and Intel, Sailfish from Jolla and Ubuntu from Canonical" being new operating systems I see a big push for HTML5 in the near future.

Article does says iOS will likely be the goto platform for development for the next 2-3 years because developers can make money from it. It also says the first wave of these phones won't be seen in the US. But this to me is huge with respect to android. People always point to its marketshare and I have a feeling this could be a huge blow to that. Especially in places like China and India. The initial products will likely take time to evolve but with so much support and developers behind it in a year or so I'd bet we will see a very competitive product.

I guess HTML5s progress can't really take away from androids and iOSes 'ecosystem' but it will definitely level the playing field. If their browsers as advanced in HTML5 like some of the other OSes we could see the duopoly faulter. I'd argue they are resting on their laurels (app catalogue) right now.
    02-24-13 07:24 PM
    I believe in mobile Computing ( BB10).
    Last edited by nemo7; 02-25-13 at 05:53 AM.
    02-24-13 07:24 PM

All signs point towards the answer to this being no. Apple recently hired some top notch individuals for their iOS UI design team and let go of Forstall. This tells me that changes are being made to address people's number one criticism of iOS, which is that they haven't really done anything new with it for years. I have little doubt in my mind that Apple as huge as they are with their resources aren't aware of this and are just going to maintain the status quo in the face of all the new things the competition are up to. The biggest counter argument people will make to that statement is "why would they change? they're selling tons leaving it as-is." The simple answer to that is what I've already said. The new hires speak volumes, and they're not stupid enough to ignore the fate of happened to other companies who refused to be progressive.

As for Google, no, there's nothing at all to indicate that Android is slowing down with new things. Android has also reached the point where developers have a lot of power to make changes to the UI and UX of Android even if Google doesn't. The recent crop of Ubuntu Phone style swipe gesture multitasking apps that are appearing in app reviews is a good indicator of this. I've tried a few really good ones myself and already have the Ubuntu app sidebar working on my Android phone.
    lssanjose likes this.
    02-25-13 08:52 AM
    I believe in mobile Computing ( BB10).
    I guess your definition of "mobile computing" doesn't involve USB OTG..
    02-26-13 05:42 PM
    1st of all.. i am not against of your points. Peace... hehehe.

I am a bb fan but i was impressed with android too but not as bb and bbz10 device. I believe it depends on how people use the device and also depends on the area where they are. android is best for advance users and people who likes custom modifications (in my opinion). Android hardwares are competitive too but doesn't give all you want unless you root it. And that's a risk, Which is not good. Unlike bbz10, its ready to go. You dont have to do risky tasks and it for everybody.

Bbz10's hardware is not like the android hardwares today but they work just the same.

it made me think... what if bbz10 has those powerful specs which android use. Probably there will be no rooms for other competitors to shine. Hehehe

Anyways.. these are just my thoughts and sorry for bad English. Hehe just sayin.

-stan

BlackBerry z10 fan

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 01:57 AM
    I believe Android is good. In fact, it's a great OS. Very few problems. It did what I wanted to do. I encountered very very little resistance when I wanted something to happen. I had very very few complaints or wondered why it didn't have this or that or why didn't the OS do this or that. Quite frankly, that's really the true test of a hood product. You should be very few complaints about it.

I had the HTC Inspire from 2011. Android is very detail oriented. When you enlarge the text, the words wrap so they all fit on the screen. BlackBerry 10 doesn't have this feature.

Also, Google Play has so many apps. While I'm not an app addict, I know that if there was an app I wanted, I know it'll be there.

Posted via CB10
    lssanjose likes this.
    06-01-13 02:00 AM
    And BTW, I fully agree that most mobile OS users could not tell you the OS on their devices, especially Android users.
    I disagree on this point especially now. Years ago maybe yeah.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2
    07-07-13 01:35 PM
34 12