05-03-12 02:02 PM
    Very cool phone, but this probably goes in the android subforum.
    05-03-12 02:06 PM
    Just another Android phone ...
    05-03-12 02:06 PM
    I don't think there is any comparison to make. Samsung showed off a finished product, not software for developers. The comparison cannot be made until RIM shows off a finished product.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-03-12 02:07 PM
    Just another Android phone ...
    Exactly...All new Android devices add is just gimmicks, bigger screens, and more cores
    SK122387, RoxBox and Astreon like this.
    05-03-12 02:11 PM
    I watched the unveiling of it. The only feature that I can really see a use for is the eye-tracking that prevents the screen from turning off when you're looking at it. That's cool... Other than that, meh. Oh look. Another Siri...

Either way, as lak611 stated, this event was meant to create excitement in the consumer market. BlackBerry's event was meant for developers.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-03-12 at 02:18 PM.
    05-03-12 02:15 PM
    Dislike android and will never go back to it. Too many problems and lack of hardare and software support from all manufacurers. I'd rather sell my soul to Apple then go with Android. BB 10 so far is worth the wait for me and I'm still happy with my 9870 OS 6.
    05-03-12 02:17 PM
    I watched the unveiling of it. The only feature that I can really see a use for is the eye-tracking that prevents the screen from turning off when you're looking at it. That's cool... Other than that, meh. Oh look. Another Siri...

Either way, as lak611 stated, this event was meant to create excitement in the consumer market. BlackBerry's event was meant for developers.
    This was the only feature that I thought looked pretty cool, other then that nothing really seems to be much different.
    05-03-12 02:20 PM
    a PHONE release cannot TRUMP an entire operating system release...

they are two different things, although Im sure the media will have the same idea.

this is like saying that BB10 is better the then the iPhone... BB10 can be better then iOS, but NOT the iPhone, because BB10 is an OS and NOT a phone. So if BB10 THE OS is amazing but gets released on a very limited hardware set then the statement that BB10 is better then iOS can be true even though it can also be true that the iPhone is better then 'BB10 Phone'
    05-03-12 02:26 PM

Exactly! that is a cool feature, but absolutely nothing to brag about! its just something interesting, nothing that should convince someone to buy the phone! like if ur looking at ur phone ur most likely using it, and it wouldnt turn off then but whatever...the S-Voice or whatever, identical to Siri and from polls ive seen taken...majority of people dont even use Siri! its useless to have ATM...i much rather have the AMAZING new keyboard and predictive typing that BB10 will bring over wasting development and resources on a Siri (for now)...

also...look at the specs of the new Samsung S3

Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - Full phone specifications

The ppi is only 306...thats worse than the iPhone 4s...and this is the next gen Samsung...the BB10 dev alpha device SMOKES the screen resolution and its not even a finished product! I the Quad-Core sounds amazing! although its just for sales and marketing purposes!...a dual-core 1.5ghz processor with 1gb or ram (hopefully more) on a BB10 phone will run AMAZING!...i think the BB10 phone will trump this galaxy s3 hands down!
    05-03-12 02:27 PM
    What an stupid cheap looking phone! Aarghhh..
    S II was a beauty.
    Shame. *facepalm*
    05-03-12 02:28 PM
    Sorry I didn't mean so much features or anything like that. I just meant media attention. This is like 2 days after bb10 unveiling.
    05-03-12 02:30 PM
    Oh yah...

LETS ROCK AND ROLL THIS!
    05-03-12 02:31 PM
    it now looks like a budget Tmobile phone, wtf Samsung...
    05-03-12 02:32 PM
    Let us put it like this: Whatever press RIM was getting is now pushed to the back pages.

But, as others have pointed out, Samsung was launching a finished product at an event aimed at consumers, while RIM was unveiling a sneak peak at a new OS at an event for developers.

What RIM should take note of was the presentation of Samsung's event. That is something that RIM has sorely lacked over the years with Mike and Jim.
    nikgilbe and RoxBox like this.
    05-03-12 02:32 PM
    Sorry I didn't mean so much features or anything like that. I just meant media attention. This is like 2 days after bb10 unveiling.
    I see...well yes they definitely planned this one out perfectly...takes away any media attention that may have been there for RIM...although, RIM didnt announce any new hardware and only gave a brief sample of what BB10 will be...so really its not going to affect much in terms of what RIM is concerned...they announced a phone, RIM provided a developers conference...
    05-03-12 02:33 PM
    Can't make that statement. The iPhone (iOS) and Android powered devices are just building on top of what they've already accomplished to get users so you're not going to find anything amazing. BlackBerry on the other hand, they don't have that they have to make up that ground and possibly more and you can't make any assumptions until the final product is released.

But to the average consumer, a release like this definitely doesn't help RIM. To them it's another new/cool device while BlackBerry is still "game planning" and falling more behind.

I don't know about you guys but it's really fun being a techie right now with all that's going on, doesn't matter who you like or don't like - definitely cool to see what each company/manufacturer is coming out with.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-03-12 02:33 PM
    the S-Voice or whatever, identical to Siri and from polls ive seen taken...majority of people dont even use Siri! its useless to have ATM...i much rather have the AMAZING new keyboard and predictive typing that BB10 will bring over wasting development and resources on a Siri (for now)...
    That's true. I've yet to see a single person actually use Siri in public except just to play with it.
    05-03-12 02:34 PM
    What RIM should take note of was the presentation of Samsung's event. That is something that RIM has sorely lacked over the years with Mike and Jim.
    RIM is not going to bring in an orchestra for a developer conference. Haha. That was a nice touch though.
    05-03-12 02:36 PM
    That's true. I've yet to see a single person actually use Siri in public except just to play with it.

Now what WOULD be amazing and a useful feature to Siri or any voice recognition software in the future would be an "Always On" idea...because its annoying to hold down the button, wait for it to beep and talk so Robotic in asking Siri something, then waiting...

An "always on" function would serve as you ask (for example purposes) Siri...just say..."Siri, find the nearest gas station" No buttons, nothing...the moment you say Siri, or the name, it recognizes and instantly google searches or whatever...THAT WOULD BE BOMB!
    05-03-12 02:39 PM
    Let us put it like this: Whatever press RIM was getting is now pushed to the back pages.
    Good! Because most of whatever press RIM is getting now is suddenly one article after another straight off the BB10-fails-to-wow bandwagon. It's getting downright laughable.
    Masahiro and kbz1960 like this.
    05-03-12 02:47 PM
    Samsung disappointed today. It's a good chance for RIM to get their stuff together.
    05-03-12 02:52 PM
    In denial mode ON ...
    05-03-12 03:04 PM
    In denial mode ON ...
    So what new features are you excited about?
    05-03-12 03:11 PM
    I might be alone on this one, but there is no way I'd buy a phone that I can't use one handed. Granted I type with two thumbs with my BB most of the time, but I still use my phone one handed a lot and that is just not practical.
    05-03-12 03:11 PM
135 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD