After back-'n'-forth debating for months I finally decided to do it today at work. I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I know I could've waited to see something else dual-core in the near future, but I compared it thoroughly to the new LG G-Slate with dual-core and noticed no discernible difference at all. As a matter of fact, I played a TrailBlazer game on them both, live stream, and the Tab was faster with less connection failure or freezing. Maybe not the most accurate test, but more than enough for me to base my decision. I'm not a heavy internet user and 1ghz with 680mb RAM is more than enough for l'il ol' me.

My main use for it will be YouTube surfing, which I've become addicted to since my girlfriend got me into it, messaging, and personal assistant. The calendar on this thing is awesome! I cannot stand the tiny calendars on these li'l "smart phones". I don't get how people use them without screaming and pulling out fists full of hair.

Anyway, I haven't really seen any kind of a formal review on it yet so in about a week I'll come back and give a sort of preliminary findings on it. May not mean much to you all since it's pretty much yesterday's news, but I just think it'd be fun.

Anyway, thought I'd share my news to all of you who've put up with my Android bashing in the past! Looks like I'm eating my words, so far they're tasting might good. I'll consider it reflux, rather than regurgitation.
    04-21-11 11:51 PM
    Congrats BTB apple and BB are so stuck far up their limited rear, their users will defend until death....welcome to open source and freedom......rock on friend.
    04-22-11 02:30 AM
    Hi BTB, I've ordered one as well, using mine for studying purposes now (university student) and later for appts when working/personal assistant

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 10:39 AM
    Well, don't consider me an Android person for phones, I'm still dead set against that and it's BlackBerry FTW every way and all the way for me in that regard. However a tablet, as opposed to a phone, should be considered a toy, to me, thus Android is the perfect platform for it. I really look forward to gettin' this sucker, mostly for the personal assistant/calendar function. I've never been much of a person for scheduling anything ever, but since I've taken a girl and the responsibilities that come along with being forced to grow up (finally), I find myself in need of some sort of tracking for appointments, meetings, etc.
    04-22-11 12:44 PM
    Should have waited a little while. Would want a tab where Google already said the OS wasn't really for a tablet. It pretty can't do much more than any of the Android smartphones. But if you're happy, I'm happy for you
    04-22-11 01:07 PM
    I'm still dead set against that and it's BlackBerry FTW every way and all the way for me in that regard.
    This attitude still cracks me up. It's like people are in gangs, "what's your set fool?"..... "Blackberry all day kid FTW". Just comical of how religious people are over phones.
    04-22-11 01:09 PM
    Interesting, what made you decide on the galaxy tab over the Playbook? You were saying that you were a blackberry guy in smartphones. What made you draw to the Android platform instead considering Playbook will soon support Android (phone) apps.
    04-22-11 01:10 PM
    I like my phone as a phone first with the capabilities of internet and application worlds as a secondary thing. With Android phones they revolve around the internet experience being their number one focus and it's obvious to me. On my phone I make phone calls, send text and BBM, and listen to music, with the very occasional Poynt search. I don't surf the internet or use it for search functions, thus the easier to use device in that regard is rendered pointless for me. BlackBerry is easier to use to make calls and BBM (for now) is exclusive to it. Texting is annoying and no where near as simple, but I rarely do it so it's of little bother. I have dial from home screen, that's the simple yet greatest pleasure I've found on my BB. Just like the old flip phones I don't have to open to some program or app to get to my phone or contacts, I just dial a name or number and I'm off doing my business. Sure it's one small step, but it means the world to me.

Now, that all said, here's the main factor, as that's really just a valid justification to further prove my point... It's all about aesthetic appeal! To me a phone is more than just a tool but also an accessory, and I want mine to look good. Androids are all screen an no class. This is just how I see it. It's a personal preference that's hard to explain, but I hate touch screens... when it comes to a phone. For me they are nothing but toys with the function of a phone too. That's the opposite of what I'm looking for in a phone.

Now, the reason I wanted an Android tablet over a BB, is because a tablet, to me, is meant to be a toy. There's almost no function it can perform that my BB or your Android phone can't, and some it can't that our phones can. Opinion here, but there's no way any person could possibly say they need one of these things because they're a redundant device for most smart phone users. It's a trend/fad and just a techy toy. Still, the calendar on it is much more functional and useable, and the screen size is perfect for on the go internet use, which I find a nice thing to have available to me, for fun.

It's no secret that BB AppWorld vs. Android Market is not a competition or comparison that should be made. BB loses in every way possible, hands down! This is why, for tablet purposes, I want Android. I want my toy to have all of the cool games and pointless, waste of time fun applications. I want these on top of the useful and productive apps that my AppWorld offers, which only Android or Apple could provide.

Now, I'll admit that I'm a Mac man. I love Macs and despise Windows. I don't need to customize or micromanage anything on my computer. I like it to do all the work and let me just play on it. However, we all know that Apple is way overpriced. Not just their products but also their applications. That said, even that doesn't bother me because I throw money around like it means nothing until it's gone, then I get paid again and start the cycle all over.

Again, that all said, the real reason is because I work for T-Mobile, which means I get a discount on the device without a contract tied to it. It's not as large a discount as customers who sign a contract gets, but definitely worth it to me to pay only $300 for a contract free Galaxy Tab than $600 for a contract free PlayBook or iPad. Or even worse $300 for a contracted XOOM or PlayBook elsewhere.

edit: anybody want to count how many times I started off a point with "Now,"... or what about, "That said,"?!?!? hahaha. I hate reading what I've written afterward. I always come off like a blithering moron! ;D LOL!
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 04-22-11 at 01:37 PM.
    04-22-11 01:31 PM
    Should have waited for the next gen devices coming this summer. Honeycomb is where it's at for tablets, not Froyo. Add to this that there will be no support for OS upgrades without rooting and once again Samsung has suckered in another customer for another fail.
    04-22-11 11:38 PM
    Well I have to respectfully disagree with your Android smartphone stance. I used a Droid X as my workhorse work phone / GPS device for well over a year and it performed as well as one could expect. I demanded 110% and it gave it to me without breaking a sweat. With that said I now have a dumb phone and a Galaxy TAB. Believe me it was hard to let go of the X but the TAB being the perfect size for in the field research and reference fit my needs better. And it running Android 2.2 meant it ran all the apps I used the X so there was no point holding on to it.

I'm sure you will enjoy the TAB and if you're into a little hackery, you'll find its unlocked boot loader a big plus.
    04-23-11 08:50 AM
    I love my GTab had it since day one. The size and weight is perfect. I did get the Xoom but the only knock against it for me was the weight. Like u said though with new stuff so close to coming out maybe not a good time to buy. But at the end of the day still a good choice.
    04-23-11 10:11 AM
    Congrats BTB apple and BB are so stuck far up their limited rear, their users will defend until death....welcome to open source and freedom......rock on friend.
    Dr. John where ya been hiding. Lol
    04-23-11 10:12 AM
    Should have waited for the next gen devices coming this summer. Honeycomb is where it's at for tablets, not Froyo. Add to this that there will be no support for OS upgrades without rooting and once again Samsung has suckered in another customer for another fail.
    Not at all, in a previous post, you probably haven't read, I explained my disgust of Honeycomb. I bought the Tab specifically because it has 2.2/3 whatever. Sure the apps may not all show up full screen, but for my purposes the apps mean next to nothing. Besides that, it's more than easy enough to root and drop 3.0 on it later, should I decide to.

No, this was a long and well thought out purchase.
    04-23-11 11:59 AM
    This attitude still cracks me up. It's like people are in gangs, "what's your set fool?"..... "Blackberry all day kid FTW". Just comical of how religious people are over phones.
    That's a very poor assessment. Had I been someone who hasn't tried Android phones I could see you making some sort of point against this statement, though still not the one you made. However I started with Android, two in fact. One high-end and one mid and I was content with them while using. I actually only got the BlackBerry because I now work in the industry and thought I should try everything before I can actually sell phones and right fit them to customers. So I purchased the 9700 and haven't looked back since. Android is not the end-all beat-all for everyone, I'm sorry the Android fanbois don't like that, but it's fact. People have different tastes and the device that fits those are what's best suited for them.
    lssanjose likes this.
    04-23-11 01:26 PM
    That's a very poor assessment. Had I been someone who hasn't tried Android phones I could see you making some sort of point against this statement, though still not the one you made. However I started with Android, two in fact. One high-end and one mid and I was content with them while using. I actually only got the BlackBerry because I now work in the industry and thought I should try everything before I can actually sell phones and right fit them to customers. So I purchased the 9700 and haven't looked back since. Android is not the end-all beat-all for everyone, I'm sorry the Android fanbois don't like that, but it's fact. People have different tastes and the device that fits those are what's best suited for them.
    For someone who dislikes the Android experience, you sure do like to buy the bottom of the barrel Android devices. Android is not the end all be all OS, just like Windows is not the end all be all. Before passing judgement, you really should purchase a good Android device. The G-Slate would have been a better purchases than the Galaxy tab.
    The tab is nice, don't get me wrong, but for someone with such negative views and exierences with Android, you'd think the logic would be to go with something worth the investment. I hope that the Galaxy tab works out for you, but I have a feeling your going to be disappointed with it again and we'll hear about it for a long time.
    04-23-11 05:22 PM
    For someone who dislikes the Android experience, you sure do like to buy the bottom of the barrel Android devices. Android is not the end all be all OS, just like Windows is not the end all be all. Before passing judgement, you really should purchase a good Android device. The G-Slate would have been a better purchases than the Galaxy tab.
    The tab is nice, don't get me wrong, but for someone with such negative views and exierences with Android, you'd think the logic would be to go with something worth the investment. I hope that the Galaxy tab works out for you, but I have a feeling your going to be disappointed with it again and we'll hear about it for a long time.
    The G-Slate screen is of very low visual quality in comparison, to my eyes. The audio is terrible for something with 3 speakers. Trust me, I waited specifically for the G-Slate to come out before I made my decision because previously I was sure I wanted something with a larger screen. The Slate is just bland garbage to me. I've had nothing but wonderful experience with Samsung devices and will continue to stick with them until they prove otherwise. The Vibrant was not at all a bottom of the barrel device, nor is the Galaxy Tab. You keep forgetting some major points here, probably because you haven't read through my posts in their entirety. I work with T-Mobile phones daily, I have experienced them ALL, my choice is well informed and based on personal preference as simply icing.
    04-24-11 11:04 PM
    So it'll be here Thursday evening, according to UPS tracking info. I know I should've waited for the HTC Flyer to come out, hoping that the Tab would've dropped in price, but there's no guaranty of that and I'm tired of waiting.
    04-25-11 06:35 PM
    Just found a fantastic forum specific to Galaxy Tab owners just full of awesome info and apps to make my device an absolute dream! Should have it and the case I ordered for it tomorrow, late afternoon! I'm so excited!!! I can't tell you all how sick I am of using the calendar on this tiny friggin' BlackBerry screen!!! ;D LOL!
    04-27-11 10:07 PM
    Josh, I respect your decision, fully; form still has to follow function. I've been flirting with getting either another phone as a backup, or use my Droid as a backup while I ponder a BB, or iPhone. Reason being, going back to form follows function, I, like you, still want to use a phone as a phone - for the most part. But, where you and I will likely differ is my need for surefire Linux support. Until I obtain an iPhone without the heavy investment, I can't know for sure if an iPhone will be sufficiently supported in Linux (to my liking). Android, on the other hand, does.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, BTB has his needs, as we all have needs of our own. If he has the opinion Android doesn't fit his needs like the BB does; then why does he need to catch flack?
    04-28-11 01:37 AM
    It's all good Les, I enjoy the flack as I give it right back and often even start it. I do so in order to see if anyone can change my mind with some startling fact that I hadn't taken into consideration in my decision.
    04-28-11 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD