Hello !
    I'm actually a proud Key2 (Red!!!!) owner, and I'm using BB-PKB devices since 15 years.
    I would like to know if some of you considered to have a try / buy the Cosmo Communicator ? It seems to be a great device. I'm aware that it's not exactly the same philosophy as the Key2 but I'm thinking about it for some reasons (dual-boot, mini-laptop, keyboard, "dual"-screen...) and would like to read some feedback from users (with pretty much the same background as mine) before buying it (too expensive to make a mistake, and reselling value is probably very low).
    Thank you for your help.
    01-29-20 08:45 AM
    There has been a good bit of interest in both the Cosmo and the F(X)tec Pro 1 (as well as the Unihertz Titan)...

But as far as I know the Cosmo hasn't shipped yet.... might want to do some searches on their last phone the Gemini.
    01-29-20 09:17 AM
    To be clear, the Cosmo has been released and most backers have their devices now (i do).

It's an ok device if you yearn for something like the old Psion but it is let down by poor battery life. A common reported problem is that the phone fails to go into deep sleep.
    guizmox and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    01-29-20 06:19 PM
    Thank you ! Can I ask you a few questions about it ?
    01-30-20 02:06 AM
    I wich it had "German Umlaute" like ä, ö or ü or even the strange letter ß :-) .

I would think about using this device but for this device I would use all my fingers. Like on my laptop.

It would be very irritating for me if I have to stop writing all the time. These letters are not so seldom.

The passport is a completly another formfaktor. For this I use my thumbs.

pitty
    on less alternative

Posted via CB10
    01-30-20 10:38 AM
    Thank you ! Can I ask you a few questions about it ?
    Yes sure, i haven't really used it that much to be honest as I was waiting for their firmware update to come through...by the time it did and i got round to applying it, my Titan had arrived!
    moosbb likes this.
    01-30-20 01:59 PM
    Yes sure, i haven't really used it that much to be honest as I was waiting for their firmware update to come through...by the time it did and i got round to applying it, my Titan had arrived!
    So, is your Titan better ?
    01-31-20 04:44 AM
    Very different devices to be honest.

If you are sat down at a desk the Cosmo comes into its own. Out and about it's a bit fiddly...I know because I also own planet computers previous model, the Gemini which i did attempt to use as my only device for a while. If you are trying to send am email whilst on the move, the Titan is much better for that.

I quite impressed with what Unihertz managed to achieve with the titan...I had low expectations
    moosbb likes this.
    01-31-20 04:51 AM
    Thank you !
    - Do you type faster with the Key2 (or any other BlackBerry device you own) or with the Cosmo ?
    - Is the second display more a gimmick than a real tool, avoiding to open the device 100x a day ?
    - Is the software stable ?
    - Build quality ?
    01-31-20 12:39 PM
    Thank you !
    - Do you type faster with the Key2 (or any other BlackBerry device you own) or with the Cosmo ?
    - Is the second display more a gimmick than a real tool, avoiding to open the device 100x a day ?
    - Is the software stable ?
    - Build quality ?
    I was fastest on the key2 of all my pkb devices (and I owned the k1 too) until i sold it for a Samsung s10e.

I'm sure I could get faster on the Cosmo but im just not using it enough.

The external screen was buggy as hell initially but they provided a firmware update which fixed most issues...it's still too slow for my liking.

Software wise it's ok...a fairly vanilla build of Android apart from an app dock. I haven't had mine crash or freeze in the time i have had it but as mentioned I'm not using it as a daily driver.

Build quality it better then their first attempt with a stronger hinge mechanism and much improved keyboard (the space bar on the gemini was inconsistent in registering let strokes)
    01-31-20 12:57 PM
    Thank you for your help ! will consider this device as a replacement for my Key2 in a couple of months.
    01-31-20 04:13 PM
    I have had my Cosmo Communicator for over 3 months now. It is singularly the best tech device I have ever owned. I had Toshiba Libretto laptops in the 90s which I loved, but of course that was before the advent of practical mobile phones. I have had a number of Blackberries and got the best buzz from the Passport. The HP Pre 3 was another notably good device. I bought the Cosmo to replace my KeyOne which had become sluggish. The keyboard is an absolute delight. I was ready to replace my laptop too after 9 years! I've let the Cosmo take the strain and the laptop lives on - so I've already saved more than I spent. Today saw the release of the dual boot software which enables you to run Linux on it too - and rooted Android! The second screen had issues on launch which have been addressed. Indeed Planet Computer's rapid response times in correcting problems that have surfaced is a lesson the industry should note. I'm sorry to see the end of Blackberry phones - maybe Blackberry could provide a software suite for the Cosmo - that's the only way I could think of improving it.
    JohnHa and the_boon like this.
    02-24-20 06:20 PM
    Glad to hear you're having a good experience with it. I'm curious about being able to dual boot Linux and Android on it. And of course having a physical keyboard. Have you had a chance to run Linux on it yet?
    03-01-20 11:24 AM
    I had the Cosmo for one week, and sold it recently as it does not fit my needs.
    - The keyboard is great ! Typing on it is a pleasure, and it's very fast BUT :
    As a physical keyboard, it must be perfect, and build quality is far from perfect. Some keys are not perfectly aligned and I experienced some random behavior : some keys don't register perfectly, and I had a few double-typing issues for some others.
    I mean, the overall experience was quite good (80% error-free typing) but those few annoying behaviors are too concerning for my taste.

- The camera is BAD. It's a pretty good sensor, but handled by a poorly optimized driver & software, even with external apps : some post-processing are made internally by the Mediatek Helio P70 chipset, and its DSP is truly inferior to Snapdragon's one.
    The AF is slow, and the cover lens is cheap (pictures are not sharp).

- The CODI (cover display screen) is an awesome idea, but as for now it's basically notification hub, any other application needs the Cosmo to be opened.

- The phone is bulky and heavy, no surprise here (because of the full-keyboard, and the additional screen) but too much for my taste.

- The Android experience is quite good, the Planet launcher is useful. It's basically a Vanilla Android with a custom-launcher. A few bugs, but nothing concerning.

- Call quality is excellent and the stereo speakers are OK, but in comparison to other smartphones, there is not enough bass.

- The 6' screen is OK, but not enough sensitive : we have to press quite hard on it.

And, what about Dual-boot ?

Impressive ! Linux Debian works well (misses bluetooth, camera & radio drivers as for now) but the desktop experience on this tiny device is impressive. Tried Firefox (Youtube, searches...), and a few other apps, and it's really promising, but I'm a bit concerned (and that's why I sold the device) because the Linux support is handled by 2-3 people maximum, and I don't expect, because of the small community, a lot of improvements.
    I may (and hope to) be wrong, I see the potential of the device, but it needs a LOT of support from dev's to be really as incredible as it can really be.
    03-02-20 04:30 AM
    the cosmo or gemini pda is not for me. can't even type on it without a table or putting it on my lap. and it would look and feel awkward to type with both thumbs or putting it on one hand and using the other for typing. i like the key2 or titan formfactor much more for a pkb
    03-05-20 06:30 AM