Consumer Reports: Android pulls the smartphone Grand Slam - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

Going into the holiday shopping season, Consumer Reports' latest Smartphone ratings have been published. Frankly, it is an Android bloodbath. Across the board Androids ran the table with only the iPhone 3GS tied for second on AT&T and HTC's HD2 which runs Windows Mobile coming in third on T-Mobile.

Consumer Reports' tests were based on voice quality, camera quality, ease of use, battery and a whole host of other criteria (see video below).

They also ranked the carriers on their ability to handle the smart phones in question. Verizon (VZ) took top honors followed by T-Mobile, Sprint (S) and AT&T (T) brought up the rear. (Update: I'm hearing that these are actually CR's 2009 carrier rankings so take with grain of salt.).

Consumer Reports singled out the AT&T's Samsung Captivate and T-Mobile's Vibrant as the best with 76 ratings followed closely by the Droid X and Droid 2 with 75. Apple's iPhone 3GS was the highest ranked non-Android phone and tied the HTC Aria for second on AT&T's network with a 74. Consumer Reports still doesn't reccomend the iPhone 4:

The iPhone 4 is a fine performer. However, Consumer Reports' tests found that if you touch a gap on the phone's lower left side, you could lose your connection. Apple says to call customer service to request a free bumper to alleviate the problem.

Sprint's best phone was the EVO 4G though I'm surprised they didn't like the Galaxy S Epic 4G which didn't make the list (other Galaxy S phones made the top ranks on the other three carriers). The only other phones in the rankings were the HTC HD2 which runs Windows Mobile 6.5 which finished 3rd on T-Mobile and Blackberry Bolds which finished 4th or below and HP/Palm Pres which were generally at the lower end of the rankings.
    11-11-10 04:26 AM
    I wouldn't buy a toaster using consumer reports.
    Their rating's suc
    11-11-10 05:56 PM
    Consumer Reports' tests were based on voice quality, camera quality, ease of use, battery and a whole host of other criteria (see video below)
    And this is how you know CR is a bunch of bull****. There is absolutely no way the Samsung devices ranked higher than Moto. Voice and battery on the DX/D2 is much better than ANY other Android device out. Ease of use? Blur is less intrusive than TouchWiz. Blur is almost stock with some customized widgets, that is all. The camera is completely debatable. I don't see how the SGS out ranked Moto. The SGS has better hardware, I'll give it that.

How is the SGS easier to use than the D2 and DX? Every Android device is almost exactly the same. I can pick up a Sense device, Blur device and TouchWiz device and not one of the UIs would make a difference.

Once again, CR is a bunch of bull****.
    11-11-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD