I plan on getting one of them come launch day, but after having a chance to play with both I really don't know which one I want.

The Droid is fast. Really fast. It also has a physical keyboard and Android 2.0. The screen on this thing is gold and easily the best I have seen put on a phone. Browsing the web looks like a home computer due to it being widescreen and is a very enjoyable experience.

However, it is one ugly phone (imo). The physical keyboard is sorta awkward because it is off center and the directional pad is useless. The camera is pretty meh for being 5.0 megapixels. It is also very heavy. The default android UI isn't very hot either and is rather bland looking. No multi-touch support.

The Eris isn't quite as fast (though don't get my wrong, as long as you have an app killer it is no slouch). It is using HTC's Sense UI which is beautiful. The form factor is much better on this one and it feels great in the hands. Multi-touch support means the "pinch zoom" gesture works for web browsing, which I feel works better than the Droids double tap. The Eris is also half the cost of the Droid at $99.99. The camera seems to work better on the Eris than on the Droid.

But, with the Eris I feel like we are getting last years hardware. The screen isn't nearly as sharp as the Droids and Web Browsing/Youtube videos don't look nearly as good. And while it isn't a slow phone by any means, The Droid runs circles around it.

So ultimately it comes down to Performance vs. Style. I was leaning more towards the Eris before I typed this (call me petty, but one factor was I don't like getting what everyone is getting, and most people will be picking up the Droid on Friday). After writing all the pros and cons down, though, I think I might be leaning more towards the Droid, but this is going to go back and forth like 30 times before I finally decide.
    11-05-09 01:53 PM
    I would choose the Droid. You're basically picking the Eris based on it being more attractive. When you are spending that amount of money, I don't think that it being pretty should be the deciding factor.
    11-05-09 02:05 PM
    I would choose the Droid. You're basically picking the Eris based on it being more attractive. When you are spending that amount of money, I don't think that it being pretty should be the deciding factor.
    Yeah but the Eris is hott! lol! Check out my thread w the Eris video I just put up. It's Eris all the way for me!
    11-05-09 02:06 PM
    I would get the Storm2 and wait for the second generation of those phones. Android still needs a few tweaks and the Droid's landscape keyboard needs fixed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 02:10 PM
    I would get the Storm2 and wait for the second generation of those phones. Android still needs a few tweaks and the Droid's landscape keyboard needs fixed.

It still works better than S2.

Worst touchscreen phone on the market.
    11-05-09 02:13 PM

Now that is the funniest thing I've read all day! The Storm2 isn't even a true second generation!

11-05-09 02:14 PM
    The Droid does have multitouch. You can use it on photos ect, its just the browser that doesn't support it (yet). It will by Q1 2010 supposedly.

I personally love the specs on the droid, and what it represents. However, it is fugly. f@#$(*% ugly! Personally I'm going to wait for the next phones like the X10 and beyond and see what comes out. But the droid is a huge step in Android phones so I'm liking this.
    Last edited by dtboos; 11-05-09 at 02:37 PM.
    11-05-09 02:34 PM
    Also there is the rumored HTC Passion possibly coming in Dec/Jan
    11-05-09 02:43 PM
    Shame the Droid will never have Sense UI. That's the only downside I can see between the Eris and Droid. It's incredible.
    11-05-09 02:48 PM
    play with them and decide which one you like better, buy that one. If you don't like it after a few days take it back and trade for the other. I think the droid is the better phone, but you'll probably be happy with either.
    11-05-09 02:55 PM
    Just left the BESTBUY by the Dayton Mall where I played with the Droid! I'm sold, they have 70 units for tomorrow and only 15 have been pre-sold. The screen is awesome!

11-05-09 03:01 PM
    Shame the Droid will never have Sense UI. That's the only downside I can see between the Eris and Droid. It's incredible.
    If the Passion comes out with Sense, then it's only a matter of time before the Droid gets rooted and Sense is ported over to the Droid.

11-05-09 03:34 PM
    If the Passion comes out with Sense, then it's only a matter of time before the Droid gets rooted and Sense is ported over to the Droid.

Why would HTC allow that? Sense UI is their software.
    11-05-09 03:38 PM
    Sense has been ported over to the G1 if I'm not mistaken, and we know the G1 is no HTC.

11-05-09 03:42 PM
    Sense has been ported over to the G1 if I'm not mistaken, and we know the G1 is no HTC.

But it is made by HTC.

11-05-09 03:53 PM
    I thought the G1 was the same thing as the HTC Dream. And that HTC made the G1.
    11-05-09 03:54 PM
    I thought the G1 was the same thing as the HTC Dream. And that HTC made the G1.
    You are right. My bad.
    11-05-09 04:16 PM
    Why would HTC allow that? Sense UI is their software.
    Well, they probably don't like it....but don't think they will be able to stop the guys over at xda from doing it.
    11-05-09 05:05 PM

I'm coming from a Storm1 upgraded to 5.0:

I just came from a Verizon store and played with the storm2 and to be honest, I don't think they have improved on anything. It is faster, but the screen is not as good as mine (after sending it back 5 times and adjusting the screws myself, mind you) I like the click now. The 2 I used in Verizon felt really stiff to me and since the software is the same, it basically the same phone. If I don't get the Droid, I will just wait it out, but I think unless BB comes out with a slider or a clickless storm that this will be my last Blackberry
    Last edited by citi; 11-05-09 at 05:21 PM.
    11-05-09 05:14 PM
    I think it comes down to how nice do the widgets look on the droid (we all know the sense UI looks very nice), and how quick and easy email and messaging is on either. We all have read so-so reviews on the droid keyboard and I think I read android 1.6 virtual keyboards are not the best. I dunno, need to play with both and hope the once just clicks with me.

I have a storm1 and like the basic, simple contacts list, messaging list and email list. Its set up simply and easy to use and efficient. I dont want composing a message to take a long time or to be hard to find.
    11-05-09 06:10 PM

Hater in the house. So I'm guessing your not eligible for an upgrade until sometime next year, correct?
    11-05-09 06:40 PM
    What's the email experience like on the Android phones? This is supposedly where BB shines. Is checking email on the Droid as fluid and easy? It is essentially "push" like a Berry?
    11-05-09 06:49 PM
    I tried out both phones yesterday. Then I went home and read the FCC reports. What did it for me is that the Droid has a far stronger radio than the Eris (close to 25dbm peak conducted power output versus close to 23), and yet a lower SAR rating on CDMA 800. Clearly, Motorola are in another league when it comes to radio and antenna performance. So that's the clincher for me.

The other problem for me is that I found the Eris quite difficult to type on. The accelerometer is sluggish -- oddly so, since everything else about the phone is slick and fast -- and the virtual keyboard, especially in the portrait mode that is required for dealing with contact information, is simply too small for me to use my thumbs. The Droid, on the other hand, is the first touchscreen other than the BB Pearl mode on the Storm that I could type accurately on. I can't even deal with an iPhone without a barrage of typos.

It's a shame because, more than almost any other mobile I've ever played with, the Eris feels solid and tightly put together, comparing favorably not only with the HTC Imagio but also with the Blackberries and even the Droid. But if I can't get a call out and I can't type on it, it rather defeats the purpose of having a smartphone.

Also, I need the unified mailbox in Android 2.0. As I understand it, 2.0 will be a free upgrade on the Eris -- just as soon as HTC gets around to reskinning it with Sense UI.

If these caveats don't bother you, however, don't worry about Android 1.5 on speed; accelerometer aside, it's plenty smooth and it deals nicely with Google Maps; just not yet with the 2.0-only navigator.
    11-05-09 06:59 PM
    I'm coming from a Storm1 upgraded to 5.0:

I just came from a Verizon store and played with the storm2 and to be honest, I don't think they have improved on anything. It is faster, but the screen is not as good as mine (after sending it back 5 times and adjusting the screws myself, mind you) I like the click now. The 2 I used in Verizon felt really stiff to me and since the software is the same, it basically the same phone. If I don't get the Droid, I will just wait it out, but I think unless BB comes out with a slider or a clickless storm that this will be my last Blackberry
    The embarrassing part is that if I understand Piezo technology correctly, RIM don't even need to come out with a new device -- they simply need to push a software update that enables you to switch the stupid haptic feedback off. And another one that flashes each letter as you type. And another one with a decent browser. The hardware is already all there -- it's physically a great device. But RIM needs to remember three things -- software, software and software. As in applications, OS updates, and firmware.
    11-05-09 07:04 PM
    Walmart in my area has a dummy Droid out for handling...and have to say, after holding it and opening and closing the keyboard, and inspecting the outside hardware, I am not liking it.
    There was already a bit of silver showing through on the edges of the casing itself, as if the black was wearing off of the metal, revealing the silver metal underneath.
    The keyboard seemed somewhat useless. The phone itself was heavy to hold and seemed very clunky.
    Now granted, I did not get to try out the software...but, more and more I'm thinking I might like the Eris or something else that will come later. Maybe even the Samsung O2.
    But, I can confidently say I will not be spending that much on the Droid. I'm glad I had the chance to see it before I ordered.
    11-05-09 07:05 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD