I have bitten the bullet and ordered my Droid X which will be arriving (with luck) today. I have mixed feelings about retiring my Storm (1), but the necessity of having to reboot every few days and the other well documented quirks with this device have pretty much forced my hand. I'm not a RIM/Storm hater, I like the platform, but since RIM doesn't seem to be committed to bringing us a good touchscreen phone and the fact that I really want the ability to use WiFi instead of cellular all the time has me placing the Storm into retirement. I do want to thank all of the folks that have been so active in developing the Hybrids for the Storm, since without them this moment would have come much sooner!

I've been doing A LOT of reading the last several days about the Android and am feeling a little hesitant since I can't get a solid reading on how well it will handle pulling my email from my Hotmail account and how easy it will be to have it sync my Exchange calendar (without using GMail) but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I'm also a bit concerned about finding similar applications to those that I've come to depend on with the BB, specifically Berry Weather and Berry Buzz. I think these are two of the greatest Apps that I've had the privilidge of using. I really depend on both of them to make my day to day life easier. Does anyone know of similar applications for the Droid X? I've looked at some of the applications on AppBrain and AndroidCentral but while I can find a couple of weather programs that are sort of like Berry Weather, I havent really found anything compareable to Berry Buzz with the ability to set the different LED's for different types of notifications as well as from specific contacts. I keep being told by other Android users that I know at work that I'll have to wait until I get the phone to see & search for all of the apps using the
    Android Market. I don't like that much, but it is what it is! Anyone have reccomendations to help me with my search?
    12-09-10 01:42 PM
    K9, or Touchdown are good alternatives for the stock email client.

Weather: News and Weather should come preloaded. If that doesn't foot the bill, Beautiful Widgets (well worth it) is worth the look - check out the screenshot postings thread.

I think there's a notification LED customizer app on the Market.

Android Market will take getting used to, but worlds better than AppWorld.
    12-09-10 01:51 PM
    You're going to ask yourself why you waited so long to make the switch.

May I suggest Launcher Pro and Handcent SMS? Handcent has so many customizations and user settings, you will most likely be happy with the notifications (ringtones/LED) customizations you can set, as well as the option for a pop-up window when a text message is received.

Launcher Pro has a scrollable bottom dock with up to 15 shortcuts, ability to hide unused apps in your app tray, set the number of Homescreens, etc.

There are also many apps in the Market for the profiles you are used to using on your BB.
    12-09-10 02:02 PM
    Yes K 9 mail and Touch Down are useful in solving the email and sync problems some claim to have when switching from bb to droid. K-9 mail is free and Touch Down is a one time fee of 20 bucks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-10 02:50 PM
    For weather apps, Palmary Weather or Weatherbug, one or the other will suit you well. While Weatherbug on BB was always horrible for me, their Android app is very good.

While waiting for your DX to arrive, visit AppBrain Android Market - find the best Android Apps and Games. You can decide which apps to install from the website, then use their installer to pull down all the apps you've chosen once you receive your device.
    12-09-10 03:06 PM
    Thank everyone who has responded so far, I JUST go home (7:4X PM EST, of all of the FRAKIN days to have to work late, I guess the pups just won't get to play tonight ) and the Android is waiting for me. So I've got it plugged into the wall to charge and I'm backing up all of the stuff on the Storm prior to activating it. I'll take a look at the suggestions and if I have even more questions (which I'm sure I will) I will pray everyones indulgence while I post stupid N00B questions.
    12-09-10 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD