When I open apps or anything up on the droid, do you have to close them like you do on the blackberry.
    11-10-09 04:04 PM
    Just back out. I have advanced task killer I was shutting down apps. Haven't turned the thing off since I had it Friday; if memory serves me correct. U can go into applications and see whats running as well. Let the Droid what it wants to do.
    I think it runs better..........
    11-10-09 04:07 PM
    Yup. You can always download ATK (its under apps>verizon in the market place). No real need to close the apps as the Droid recognises what is being used more often and gives it priority. Unlike some BB the phone will not lag cause it is low on memory. You should be good without the ATK.
    11-10-09 04:14 PM
    Thanks alot!
    11-10-09 04:15 PM
    I do go into my browser settings and clean my history cache etc.
    11-10-09 04:20 PM
    There is a video on Android.com about how the android OS uses memory. It saves the last five apps in memory, then if you open another app, it will discard the last app you used. This makes the need for closing applications unnecessary.

The Android OS is so much more advanced than the BB OS on so many levels. I like the way it can install/uninstall apps to the device without having to do reboots.
    11-10-09 04:29 PM
    yeah I deleted Advanced Task Killer..spoke to a developer I know who knows Linux/Android pretty well and he said to let the OS manage the memory it does a great job and what may appear to running in the background neccessarily is not.

I trust his judgement....

He said your not on a BB anymore it's a whole other ballgame : )
    11-10-09 04:48 PM
    Sounds good.
    11-10-09 06:02 PM
    guys, while im sure your right that the OS does shut things down properly and manage MEMORY well.....i can tell you 100% that using a program like atk (i prefer free AUTOMATIC task killer- just add it, set it, forget it......) will increase your battery life IMMENSELY!!!!! ive now had my droid on for 11 hours with HEAVY HEAVY use and im at 50percent...gps on/screen auto dim/syncs all ON.

try it.....forget memory...think battery
    11-10-09 06:34 PM
    guys, while im sure your right that the OS does shut things down properly and manage MEMORY well.....i can tell you 100% that using a program like atk (i prefer free AUTOMATIC task killer- just add it, set it, forget it......) will increase your battery life IMMENSELY!!!!! ive now had my droid on for 11 hours with HEAVY HEAVY use and im at 50percent...gps on/screen auto dim/syncs all ON.

try it.....forget memory...think battery
    Same here only that I don't use it. I have used the phone heavily and I still have 60%
    11-10-09 06:41 PM
    the other nice thing about auto task killer....is...by closing sms/email app...when you get a new message...and you clickthe icon for sms....it brings you to the first screen.....

if the program was running it may bring you into an older conversation-gets confusing to find new message
    11-10-09 06:48 PM
    Hate to re open this thread, but have just experienced ATK on my Incredible and just deleted it.......reading this thread makes me want to re install it somehow. So what is the verdict, is this thing necessary or not? Does it free up memory and help out with battery life as some claim?
    05-06-10 04:47 PM
    I gas an additional 13 percent by the end of my day with similar usage.after I deleted my task killer. Just let Android handle itself. I have found that the phone can do that just fine and my battery life has increased along with the fact that it is one less thing that I have l do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 07:39 PM
    My phone feels like it lags without it....also, open various apps, say ten of them, now open ATK, you will find that many more than 5 apps are running at once therefore making the phone slow contrary to what people are saying about the phone being able to manage and close apps, never running more than 5 at a time
    05-06-10 08:58 PM
    Just because the processes are listed doesn't necessarily mean the app is running in memory. Everytime you use a task killer to shutdown the processes, Android reopens them anyway, how productive do you think you are making the system by introducing this perpetual battle?
    05-06-10 09:18 PM
    Just because the processes are listed doesn't necessarily mean the app is running in memory. Everytime you use a task killer to shutdown the processes, Android reopens them anyway, how productive do you think you are making the system by introducing this perpetual battle?
    I'm not doubting you nor saying this isn't the case, but what is the available memory displayed on ATK all about then?

I had erased it earlier in the day, but re installed it again once my phone took a while to load an app, something it hadn't done when I had ATK
    05-07-10 12:02 AM
    When my Droid slows, I clear the caches (Cache Mate). If that doesn't help, I power cycle the phone.
    05-07-10 02:57 AM
    I use atk but in a way much different than others. First of all I never leave it running in the background, android doesn't need an extra os nanny. Second, the only time I use it is when I have an app that isn't playing nice that needs to be force closed...and when I go to close it I always check the box on the atk itself in the app list so it closes itself along with any other app I selected.

Of course you could do this with the built in app manager, but atk is just a little more convenient.

The point is to not leave atk running in the background because it can get in the way of android working to manage itself. There are just a few cases when I need to end a misbehaving app and that's when I use it.
    05-07-10 08:06 AM
    I use Task Panel in the same way, only for terminating unruly apps.
    05-07-10 11:44 AM
    I use atk but in a way much different than others. First of all I never leave it running in the background, android doesn't need an extra os nanny. Second, the only time I use it is when I have an app that isn't playing nice that needs to be force closed...and when I go to close it I always check the box on the atk itself in the app list so it closes itself along with any other app I selected.

Of course you could do this with the built in app manager, but atk is just a little more convenient.

The point is to not leave atk running in the background because it can get in the way of android working to manage itself. There are just a few cases when I need to end a misbehaving app and that's when I use it.
    I use Task Panel in the same way, only for terminating unruly apps.
    So I keep going back and forth with this issue and have read countless threads on it. I understand the way you guys use ATK, but first it is mentioned that it is not needed at all, now it is mentioned that you only use it for certain applications. So what is the real answer? Why would such applications exist in the first place if it they weren't needed?

This is the biggest problem I have encountered with this phone and in all honesty, it has me thinking of going back to my S2.....I just cannot understand how there is not a straight answer out there and is all basically left to what works for you.
    05-08-10 04:05 PM
    So I keep going back and forth with this issue and have read countless threads on it. I understand the way you guys use ATK, but first it is mentioned that it is not needed at all, now it is mentioned that you only use it for certain applications. So what is the real answer? Why would such applications exist in the first place if it they weren't needed?

This is the biggest problem I have encountered with this phone and in all honesty, it has me thinking of going back to my S2.....I just cannot understand how there is not a straight answer out there and is all basically left to what works for you.
    There isn't a straight answer for a few reasons, but it's like this...the atk app isn't really needed because android has a built in app manager.

The only reason you even need an app manager of any sort is to close unruly apps or uninstall apps and that's the only reason.

You don't need an app manger like atk to run in the background for the reasons previously mentioned. Basically too many cooks in the kitchen and one of the cooks (atk) isn't very familiar in the android kitchen.

The only reason atk (and like apps) exists is because a developer saw an opportunity to create an app manager that makes it a little more convenient to get to your running apps and end them. Instead of a few clicks in the android os its just one click with with atk.

Hope that helps.
    05-08-10 06:23 PM
    There isn't a straight answer for a few reasons, but it's like this...the atk app isn't really needed because android has a built in app manager.

The only reason you even need an app manager of any sort is to close unruly apps or uninstall apps and that's the only reason.

You don't need an app manger like atk to run in the background for the reasons previously mentioned. Basically too many cooks in the kitchen and one of the cooks (atk) isn't very familiar in the android kitchen.

The only reason atk (and like apps) exists is because a developer saw an opportunity to create an app manager that makes it a little more convenient to get to your running apps and end them. Instead of a few clicks in the android os its just one click with with atk.

Hope that helps.
    I have a bit of a better understanding, but what would be considered as an unruly application?

What should and can be checked off to be killed and what shouldn't be is the money question now.......are there certain things that need to run in backround for updates and if so, what would they be?
    05-09-10 12:38 PM
    I have been using ATK for a couple of months and uninstalled it a couple of days ago. The Android OS really doesn't need it and certain apps that are killed off usually reopen and consume battery.

If you're on the fence about task killers, you might wanna read this:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-pr...s-i-went-there
    05-09-10 12:51 PM
    I have been using ATK for a couple of months and uninstalled it a couple of days ago. The Android OS really doesn't need it and certain apps that are killed off usually reopen and consume battery.

If you're on the fence about task killers, you might wanna read this:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-pr...s-i-went-there
    You the man!!!!!!

That link is by far the best piece of information I have received in such a long time and could not thank you enough.
    05-09-10 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD