It's an Android thing. It always works. The keyboards have to be installed properly prior.
    So, uninstall/reinstall all BB stuff?
    08-04-20 10:52 AM
    So, uninstall/reinstall all BB stuff?
    If you're only using the keyboard, you don't need anything else at all.
    08-04-20 10:56 AM
    I don't understand. If you want a different keyboard, can you not just disable Gboard? What am I missing? Please enlighten an idiot.
    The option to change keyboards was missing. Once i found it (holding down spacebar) I was good to go. I cannot disable Gboard at all though. The toggle is greyed out.
    08-04-20 11:07 AM
    If you're only using the keyboard, you don't need anything else at all.
    No, I'm also using the Hub, Contacts, and Calendar. Unfortunately, the contents of BB Contacts doesn't match stock Contacts (Android? Google? LG?). I've been waiting until I confirm all my BB Contacts are in MS Outlook 2016 (Desktop) before messing with anything.
    08-04-20 11:29 AM
    The option to change keyboards was missing. Once i found it (holding down spacebar) I was good to go. I cannot disable Gboard at all though. The toggle is greyed out.
    Interesting. I can uninstall, but not disable. I wonder if that changed in Android 10?
    08-04-20 11:33 AM
    Oh good to know. I've got 4 android devices in my home and no problem - all the way from 6 thru android 10 devices. I thought that it was not device manufacturer specific - I thought wrong.
    08-04-20 11:46 AM
    I don't understand. If you want a different keyboard, can you not just disable Gboard? What am I missing? Please enlighten an idiot.
    From memory, you can't disable the system keyboard... as some apps will use that rather than the keyboard of choice.
    08-04-20 11:57 AM
    From memory, you can't disable the system keyboard... as some apps will use that rather than the keyboard of choice.
    I've got Gboard disabled completely in 3 devices but then again I don't have many apps.
    08-04-20 01:22 PM
    I've got Gboard disabled completely in 3 devices but then again I don't have many apps.
    I guess it depends on the phone and whether Gboard is set as a system default app.

On my Galaxy S9, I can install and delete any keyboard app, including Gboard. But, I can't delete the Samsung keyboard app at all, or even disable it. But, I can set another keyboard app for it to use with no problem. In fact, I am still using the BlackBerry Keyboard myself. I also have SwiftKey installed, and every so often I will switch out the different keyboards to see if the others ever got better (they still update even if I'm not using them). So far, I'm still partial to the BlackBerry Keyboard.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-04-20 01:40 PM
    I guess it depends on the phone and whether Gboard is set as a system default app.

On my Galaxy S9, I can install and delete any keyboard app, including Gboard. But, I can't delete the Samsung keyboard app at all, or even disable it. But, I can set another keyboard app for it to use with no problem. In fact, I am still using the BlackBerry Keyboard myself. I also have SwiftKey installed, and every so often I will switch out the different keyboards to see if the others ever got better (they still update even if I'm not using them). So far, I'm still partial to the BlackBerry Keyboard.
    Yeah, I guess. I'm surprised as I just thought android 8, 9 or 10 itself was in control of input such as keyboard. Did not realize that a skin by an OEM would put on such restrictions. I have an old HTC, 2 Huawei devices, one Honor device and a new Unihertz and none of them have this restriction. I can use any keyboard that I want. I have only tried Swiftkey, GBoard and the BB keyboard but I, too, prefer the BB to the others.
    08-04-20 03:46 PM
    After spending a considerable amount of time testing different keyboards, I'm leaning towards SwiftKey as my default. The arrow keys are super useful, and it has swipe to delete a word ANYWHERE on the keyboard. The autocorrect also works better for me (so far).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-04-20 03:52 PM
    Hey guys. Just an update for those in a similar situation: the spacebar trick only works on Gboard. I am now used SwiftKey, but I like the bitmoji feature of gboard, so I now switch to gboard when needed. I downloaded an app called 'keyboard switcher' which puts an option to change the keyboard into the notification tray. On my key2, that option was always in the notification tray, so this restores that functionality if anyone needs it!
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-05-20 12:18 PM
37 12