Hey guys. I just upgraded to the TCL 10 Pro which I am enjoying so far. Nonetheless, I cannot figure out how to change the keyboard. On my KEY2, there was an option if I pulled down from the top of the screen to change the keyboard. This is absent now. I downloaded the BlackBerry keyboard and have it toggled to "on" but it still won't switch away from Gboard.

Any advice?
    08-04-20 09:22 AM
    Hey guys. I just upgraded to the TCL 10 Pro which I am enjoying so far. Nonetheless, I cannot figure out how to change the keyboard. On my KEY2, there was an option if I pulled down from the top of the screen to change the keyboard. This is absent now. I downloaded the BlackBerry keyboard and have it toggled to "on" but it still won't switch away from Gboard.

Any advice?
    Android settings
    08-04-20 09:23 AM
    Android settings
    Already toggled the BlackBerry keyboard on. No luck.
    08-04-20 09:25 AM
    Not Android 10 compatible?
    08-04-20 09:35 AM
    It won't let me choose ANY keyboard except Gboard.
    08-04-20 09:36 AM
    Like the option to switch keyboards just doesn't exist.
    08-04-20 09:36 AM
    You have to add BlackBerry services
    08-04-20 09:37 AM
    Just put the keyboard on a new (android 10) Unihertz Atom L , believe I had to disable Gboard to make it work but it works fine.
    08-04-20 09:38 AM
    It won't let me choose ANY keyboard except Gboard.
    It’s the motherlands one choice system copied from Henry Ford idea.
    I have done all that. This error is not specific to the BlackBerry keyboard. It's any keyboard from the play store. I literally do not have the option to switch.

Any advice?
    Just checking, but did you download Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager and then download the BlackBerry Keyboard from there?
    08-04-20 09:39 AM
    I didn't. Keyboard apk only.

oops! I don't have the most up to date version. For v 4.1904 you probably need BB services as stated.
    08-04-20 09:39 AM
    Just checking, but did you download Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager and then download the BlackBerry Keyboard from there?
    Yes
    08-04-20 09:40 AM
    BlackBerry keyboard is Android 10 compatible....

The question is does the TCL UI allow for other keyboards? That's a question for other TCL owners that have tried to install the HUB+ Suite.

I'd check permissions for the BB KEYBOARD make sure they are all enabled.
    08-04-20 09:41 AM
    Found the setting. I had to set it as the default keyboard through the BlackBerry keyboard app itself. I still find it odd that there was no way to do that through the system settings. Must be a TCL thing.
    08-04-20 09:44 AM
    Either way, I'm going to try and adapt to Gboard. It seems to be the most feature-rich option and I'm sure the BB VKB is EOL at this point. I am way more accurate on it, but I love the little extras with gboard such as a search function for emojis, trackpad on the spacebar, etc. The 'swipe to delete a word' feature on gboard only works if you start on the backspace, and doesn't work every time, which is very annoying. Swiping back on the BB VKB works from anywhere, but I'll adjust...

Even more odd...gboard doesn't auto-capitalize the letter "i" ...
    08-04-20 09:53 AM
    Hold down the spacebar and select another installed keyboard (when the keyboard is being used).

You don't need HUB+ Services either - just the keyboard app.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/blackb...-apk-download/
    brookie229 likes this.
    08-04-20 10:15 AM
    Either way, I'm going to try and adapt to Gboard. It seems to be the most feature-rich option and I'm sure the BB VKB is EOL at this point. I am way more accurate on it, but I love the little extras with gboard such as a search function for emojis, trackpad on the spacebar, etc. The 'swipe to delete a word' feature on gboard only works if you start on the backspace, and doesn't work every time, which is very annoying. Swiping back on the BB VKB works from anywhere, but I'll adjust...

Even more odd...gboard doesn't auto-capitalize the letter "i" ...
    Well we do live in a world where lower case "i" are pretty common
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-04-20 10:17 AM
    Hold down the spacebar and select another installed keyboard (when the keyboard is being used).

Yeah - that's what I did with mine - couldn't remember where I got it or what I did and that was just 4 days ago! Yikes.
    08-04-20 10:28 AM

That was the setting I was looking for! Thank you!
    08-04-20 10:28 AM
    Well we do live in a world where lower case "i" are pretty common
    Hah, well I would rather have it autocapitalize when it is on its own. It works fine to start a sentence, but gboard won't capitalize it otherwise. The BB VKB capitalizes "i" automatically every time.

Man, I keep swiping up for suggested words on the gboard. I will have to readjust to clicking on them instead of flicking/swiping up. I'm constantly trying to swipe down for symbols and swipe left to delete too. I know I can continue to use the BB VKB, but who knows it will ever be updated. No search function for emojis is kind of silly.
    08-04-20 10:31 AM
    Hah, well I would rather have it autocapitalize when it is on its own. It works fine to start a sentence, but gboard won't capitalize it otherwise. The BB VKB capitalizes "i" automatically every time.

Man, I keep swiping up for suggested words on the gboard. I will have to readjust to clicking on them instead of flicking/swiping up. I'm constantly trying to swipe down for symbols and swipe left to delete too. I know I can continue to use the BB VKB, but who knows it will ever be updated. No search function for emojis is kind of silly.
    No reason to update it.... the Phones and OS they run are static now.

Was some talk of BlackBerry switching out the engine so they could offer it as part of the suite to everyone.... not sure how far that really got. Or if they were able to really do it without stepping on SwiftKey's IP toes.... you know there would have been scurrility.

I had pretty much "Microsofted" my S7 for a while. Launcher, Keyboard, Outlook, Office Apps, OneDrive, Edge....
    08-04-20 10:42 AM

Holding down the spacebar does nothing for me. Even tried it in various apps when using keyboard.

I do routinely get prompted to select the BB or Gboard keyboard. I hit Cancel and move on, but it's annoying.

LG G7, Android 10, Cobalt's BB Manager
    08-04-20 10:48 AM
    Holding down the spacebar does nothing for me. Even tried it in various apps when using keyboard.

I do routinely get prompted to select the BB or Gboard keyboard. I hit Cancel and move on, but it's annoying.

LG G7, Android 10, Cobalt's BB Manager
    It's an Android thing. It always works. The keyboards have to be installed properly prior.
    08-04-20 10:49 AM
    I don't understand. If you want a different keyboard, can you not just disable Gboard? What am I missing? Please enlighten an idiot.
    08-04-20 10:51 AM
37 12