Do you have one? If not will you be getting one? If so which one and Why?

For this phone I am finding naked is the best. It's far too beautiful to cover up(in my opinion). However I have to be practical, I should protect it. So far I have Tried 4 cases and none are perfect. The really good protection is both expensive and, to me at least, bulky. I know that many new SG3 owners are trying to find the perfect case so I just thought I'd throw it out there for comments, thoughts etc.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    07-26-12 10:11 PM
    The OB Defender is the choice for me.
    07-26-12 10:51 PM
    I have the Incipio Feather Shine, but I've found it's blocking my wifi signal at home! Instead of my typical 3-4 bars in my bedroom I'm getting 1-2. It's still functional, but fairly slow. I'm going to see about a handset exchange to see if maybe I can get one with a stronger radio. If not, I'll just have to deal with it. I really like this case because it adds minimal bulk and it looks great against the pebble blue of the phone. Plus, this case isn't really ideal to take on and off several times.
    07-27-12 09:57 AM
    Finally got my OB Def in the mail. Bajeezus!!! I was so scared of damaging this thing at work. Fits like a glove, doesn't add much bulk to the SG3, and the ratcheting holster is THE BEST!!!

I did try a few other cases (Commuter (Great case, no holster)), some 3rd party velcro ballistic pouch (ughhh), a few bumpers (metal, plastic, and wood)

So at work I use the OBD, and when I am off I take everything off and put it in my pocket without a screen protector or case.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    07-27-12 10:16 AM
    Finally got my OB Def in the mail. Bajeezus!!! I was so scared of damaging this thing at work. Fits like a glove, doesn't add much bulk to the SG3, and the ratcheting holster is THE BEST!!!

I did try a few other cases (Commuter (Great case, no holster)), some 3rd party velcro ballistic pouch (ughhh), a few bumpers (metal, plastic, and wood)

So at work I use the OBD, and when I am off I take everything off and put it in my pocket without a screen protector or case.
    I'm considering the Reflection Defender. It's a nice case.
    07-27-12 10:30 AM
    I use the OEM Samsung twin pack slim case. Adds some grip but no bulk at all.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by reeneebob; 07-27-12 at 11:45 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-27-12 11:01 AM
    I'm considering the Reflection Defender. It's a nice case.
    Never heard of that one before. Who makes it?
    07-27-12 11:34 AM
    Never heard of that one before. Who makes it?
    It's the Reflection themed OB Defender.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaez...laxy-s3-n3.jpg
    07-27-12 11:49 AM

That is a nice case. Is it a 2-piece? (That inner ring).
    07-27-12 11:55 AM

AAhhh, yeah I wanted the droid coloured defender. All they had at the time was the regular black Defender
    07-27-12 11:56 AM
    That is a nice case. Is it a 2-piece? (That inner ring).
    Yes, two-piece hard plastic (with attached screen protector), and a soft impact layer over the whole thing. Same as the Commuter almost, but the Defender also comes with a sweet holster.
    07-27-12 12:16 PM
    I've tried a few cases. I wanted something that would protect my phone if i dropped it and that absolutely didn't add any bulk or cover it up, or lessen my screenspace.

This one is the TPU S Case - Clear. It was $21.00 plus tax. At first I disregarded it for the Incipio Featherlite case ($34 plus tax) but when that one had to go back (no grip) I took another lookat this one and I found I quite liked it. I also have it in black (TPU X - Black) and it's very nice. It makes it look like I have a black phone.

The TPU - S Clear has a nice ridge along each side for grip add zero bulk, and because it's clear (well, partially clear on the back and clear on the sides)I can see the Pebble Blue of my phone. It also has a raised lip all the way around, important for when I turn it over.

I had a screen protector on my screen until today. But although I liked it, oil and dirt was beginning to collect in the corners (already!) and any cases that had raised sides were pushing back one corner of the screen protector. It was only tiny but it irritated me so much I took off the screen protector. I shall just have to be careful not to brush my screen against my keys or sharp objects because it seems SPs compete with the cases.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 07-27-12 at 10:31 PM.
    Drayk likes this.
    07-27-12 10:21 PM
    This was the case I had when I got my S3. Of all of them this is my favourite. Most of the time I had it folded back and as the back becomes the back of the S3 you have the true phone colour on show, plus the screen covered when you're not using it. It somehow manages to give enough grip in the hand even though it's so thin.

The only issues I had with it were that it doesn't offer much protection if you happen to drop the phone, and when taking photos you must hold the front cover away from the camera because it folds over it. It's possible to do but it can get tiresome, especially if you're giving your phone to someone else to take snaps of you.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    07-27-12 10:29 PM
    I've tried a few cases. I wanted something that would protect my phone if i dropped it and that absolutely didn't add any bulk or cover it up, or lessen my screenspace.

This one is the TPU S Case - Clear.
    This would be my intention as well. I love the "wafer thin" size of the Gs3 and I want to keep that feel.
    Plus......I dock my phone on my night stand to charge and for alarm clock so I'd like to find a case that will accomodate.
    ....but still......4 more days until its in my hands
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-28-12 08:32 AM
    I have a Cygnett Case. Kinda like a Case mate Barely There Case that keeps the phone very slim. Top and bottom are open and basically just the back is covered.
    07-29-12 07:35 AM
    I have a Cygnett Case. Kinda like a Case mate Barely There Case that keeps the phone very slim. Top and bottom are open and basically just the back is covered.
    This is actually what I'm trying to avoid. Every time my device gets away from me, it always seems to do cartwheels corner to corner, so covering the top and bottom are pretty important for me......
    Anyway....with all the info I'm getting from "here and there", I'll have this bad-boy dialed in PDQ!!!! (2 more daz. This is freakin killin me!!!!)
    07-29-12 07:57 AM
    07-29-12 08:27 AM
    Covering the sides as well as the back is important to me. I tried one case where the case was more like a battery cover. It looked beautiful. But that would be much good to me if I dropped my phone. I need protection for those corners.

07-29-12 09:34 AM
    And also this article from Engadget and the comments.

http://m.engadget.com/2012/07/28/ask...__comments_art

07-29-12 09:47 AM
    I hate to keep sounding like a broken record. The Defender would be best. As mentioned earlier, the GS3 is wider and longer than most smartphones so there will be some perceived bulk as opposed to real bulk. The majority of the bulk is the depth which is advantageous in a full face drop.

Corners are well protected in the event of accidental cartwheels.
    07-29-12 12:25 PM
    I hate to keep sounding like a broken record. The Defender would be best. As mentioned earlier, the GS3 is wider and longer than most smartphones so there will be some perceived bulk as opposed to real bulk. The majority of the bulk is the depth which is advantageous in a full face drop.

Corners are well protected in the event of accidental cartwheels.
    I just can't get away from the idea that it will add bulk to the phone. If I had a way to keep my phone slim yet protected I'd jump at it. Some say the Otterbox cases add bulk , others say they don't.
    I've seen the case on an iphone and it adds considerable bulk (in mine and the owners opinions)... but it certainly does protect their phone. When they dropped it, it literally bounced along the pavement. It just seems a shame to have this beautiful form factor of a phone (SG3) and then lock it away in a case.

The other thing is that, to me at least, the OB is expensive.
    07-30-12 03:54 PM
    I just can't get away from the idea that it will add bulk to the phone. If I had a way to keep my phone slim yet protected I'd jump at it. Some say the Otterbox cases add bulk , others say they don't.
    I've seen the case on an iphone and it adds considerable bulk (in mine and the owners opinions)... but it certainly does protect their phone. When they dropped it, it literally bounced along the pavement. It just seems a shame to have this beautiful form factor of a phone (SG3) and then lock it away in a case.

The other thing is that, to me at least, the OB is expensive.
    Bulk isn't noticeable. My 9900 is wider in the OB than the SGS3, and the height is about the same. It doesn't add much bulk, (at least to me). I was a little hesitant about grabbing one because I have seen OBs on the iPhone and other devices and thought the added weight and dimensions would hinder more than help.

I only keep it locked in it's case during the week while at work. When I am at home, the case easily comes off (easier than the 9900 imo).

Price - I have to agree, while this case can be rather pricey, I feel it is worth it. I have been using OBDs for the last 5 devices I have owned. Any defect, or wear and tear. I just have to send em an e-mail (they asked me to stop sending them the photos, as they believe me ) and they UPS/FedEx that case or replacement part ASAP! I paid $56 (tax icld), and again, it's a tad more than I was willing to spend, but after pros and cons, still decided to buy one. You can always opt for the commuter. My experience has been that with an OB, you need a holster or pouch to hold the device. Since buying a holster (that fits) and the commuter together would be about 70 dollars.....I justified it that way.

If you feel the iPhone's case adds too much bulk, then you probably wont be as happy with the OBD, as you would a lighter, less bulky case.

I can post pictures of the 9900 and SGS3 in their respective OBDs if anyone wants to compare.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    07-30-12 04:05 PM
    It just seems a shame to have this beautiful form factor of a phone (SG3) and then lock it away in a case.
    I concur....
    If I thought I could rock this bad boy commando....I would.
    About the time I whip it out to show it off, I'll drop it on the concrete.
    I kinda put the cart before the horse and picked up an IS HD screen protector and a clear gel case.....just until I find the "right case"

>>>>>> 2 more days <<<<<<
    07-30-12 06:27 PM
    Take a look at the video review that I posted. The overall bulk is less than the Defender on an i4s. You can still put it in your pocket. It has a deep rim around the screen to mitigate a full face drop. Deep recesses to protect the camera and flash. The Defender is well worth it. The time to realize this is not after you drop your phone.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    07-31-12 09:41 PM
    Take a look at the video review that I posted. The overall bulk is less than the Defender on an i4s. You can still put it in your pocket. It has a deep rim around the screen to mitigate a full face drop. Deep recesses to protect the camera and flash. The Defender is well worth it. The time to realize this is not after you drop your phone.
    I have to admit that I think you are right. I have the Otterbox Defender on my SIII right now. I decided to give it a try and if I don't like it I can exchange it or get a full refund (I went into Wireless Wave store to buy it, actually did an exchange with a different case that when on I couldn't charge my phone with it!).

At first the thought of adding bulk to the phone put me off but in fact it isn't as much as I thought it would be. What I have got is a feeling that should I drop my phone it will have a much better level of protection than most of the other cases I've tried so far (and I have tried al lot). It's very easy to press all the buttons, and I can see myself not worrying about the screen with this screen protector. It really does give a nice grip and really not particularly heavy.
    I need to work out how to take off the screen protector so I can clean it inside though. Any inside smudges will drive me nuts.

I love the slim form factor of the SIII and I am very careful with my phone but it's too expensive to not protect it. This really is a practical case, I'd even say it's probably the best for all round protection (in as far as you can protect a phone...)

Update: Love the Otterbox Defender on my SIII. In addition to the great protection it actually makes it easier to hold my phone.

However I did take off the plastic screen protector because it made my beautiful screen look grainy (and water-marky) and that was driving me nuts, hated how it looked with it on. I did try the talcum powder trick (Google it) but decided that with the protection of the main case I can do without the screen protector. I will just have to be careful not to put it with keys and other hard objects, which I am already careful with. For anyone wondering how I took it off - I was going to cut it out with a sharp knife but as I ended up simply pushing it off and then peeling off the glue around the edge. Now I have my screen in all it's glory. And truly, the case doesn't add much bulk to the phone at all... unlike with the iphone where it turns it into a tank.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 08-02-12 at 09:22 AM.
    08-01-12 02:34 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD