Because each of those sites that I have gone to for overclocking,
    rooting, and upgrading to 2.1 have so much info it can be overwhelming
    and confusing. Thats how I found Droid life just searching for an easy
    way to do this stuff. Spac did try send some links an I do appreciate that
    but I am sure that a lot of others who may want to root upgrade and
    overclock may have the same issues.
    Tell u what if someone decides to take on the challenge please make it soooooo
    simple a first grader could read it and do it.
    Thanks
    TP
    02-01-10 09:05 AM
    I overclocked when I went to AdamZ's ROM. However, I just reverted back to stock but kept 900 Mhz overclock (by unselecting boot in the restore).

Need to download SetCPU (.99) in the market.

That is the start.

Need to download the overclock file from somewhere and put in Nandroid folder.

That is as far as i fel comfortable taking you, someone can go from here.
    Last edited by LTLFTCer; 02-01-10 at 10:07 AM.
    02-01-10 10:03 AM
    I overclocked when I went to AdamZ's ROM. However, I just reverted back to stock but kept 900 Mhz overclock (by unselecting boot in the restore).

Need to download SetCPU (.99) in the market.

That is the start.

Need to download the overclock file from somewhere and put in Nandroid folder.

That is as far as i fel comfortable taking you, someone can go from here.
    Thanks..............
    02-01-10 11:02 AM
    These are the easiest steps I have found to flash an image on to your ROM:

Make sure you have sprecovery 2b
    Make sure you have flash_image on your system, in /system/xbin/ or /system/bin
    Make sure you perform a nandroid backup first
    Make sure to enable usb debugging on phone

1) Copy evilboot8.img to the root of your SDCard
    2) reboot into sprecovery mode
    3) select mount options
    4) mount /system
    5) mount /sdcard

from adb on pc:

6) adb shell /system/xbin/flash_image boot /sdcard/evilboot8.img
    (where xbin is xbin or bin depending on location of flash_image file on phone)

7) unmount system
    8) unmount sdcard
    9) reboot

However if you want you can flash a ROM to your phone that has the droid overclocked to 950 MHz but setable to 800, 550, etc etc... you can find this by going here: AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast [950MHz & Wifi] V0.7.2 (2/1/10) and download the file. Than just re-name it to update.zip, put it in the root of the SD Card, reboot into revcovery, and install the update. Like mentioned earlier you need the "SetCPU" app from the marketplace, but its only 99 cents. If you have any questions PM me.

Edit 1: The ROM I told you to use, is amazing, has wireless tethering capability, along with pinch and zoom browser, and some other goodies.
    02-01-10 11:11 AM
    Thanks..............
    Having hacked other OS's before, it is taking me awhile to get used tot he google hacking, even though it seems easier. Just not used to it. Ultimately after all is said and done, it really is easy looking back, but I have never felt comfortable giving instructions on it.

The ROM he posted looks promising though I have not used it. Maybe in the future I will (just get tired of resetting everything on the screens daily.) Might want to just install that as it seems easy enough to follow.
    02-01-10 11:23 AM
    Ya I use that ROM and its amazing. I previously flashed my phone (before that ROM was out) to run at 1 GHz, and it wasnt bad. But after using the ROM I wont use anything else. The Wireless Tether + pinch and zoom browser from the Milestone + Overclock = amazing droid experience!
    02-01-10 11:31 AM
    Ya I use that ROM and its amazing. I previously flashed my phone (before that ROM was out) to run at 1 GHz, and it wasnt bad. But after using the ROM I wont use anything else. The Wireless Tether + pinch and zoom browser from the Milestone + Overclock = amazing droid experience!
    Does he still have swype loaded on it? I didn't like it on Adams ROM and he did not state it was in there other than the first reply stating it was.
    02-01-10 11:39 AM
    No he has the 2.1 keyboard w/ voice input. I love it, so great for speaking text messages while driving (texting while driving is illegal in ohio now).
    02-01-10 11:51 AM
    Thanks; a lot of these steps I am sure I will have to do on a computer correct?

I read and I just answered my question sorry about that.

6) adb shell /system/xbin/flash_image boot /sdcard/evilboot8.img
    (where xbin is xbin or bin depending on location of flash_image file on phone)

Also where do I find adb shell? Thanks
    Last edited by TrendyProfessional1; 02-01-10 at 12:00 PM.
    02-01-10 11:55 AM
    This is nice; I'm tired of waiting for the updates..........
    AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast [950MHz & Wifi] V0.7.2 (2/1/10
    02-01-10 12:01 PM
    I was just getting you a walkthrough. But if it were me I would just install the ROM. Takes about 30 seconds once its placed on the memory card. Make sure you have SetCPU downloaded, and let it "autodetect" or else it wont show you capable of overclocking the ROM to 950 MHz.
    02-01-10 12:06 PM
    Did you get sprecovery installed? That is important to get to the boot screen. I use terminal emulator on the phone for that work, but adb is found in sdk, at work so I can't link right now.

ah , found it.
    SDK Tools Notes | Android Developers
    02-01-10 12:12 PM
    02-01-10 12:17 PM
    Sorry double post
    02-01-10 12:18 PM
    DroidRootPro is the best app I have used for rooting needs. It installs SP recovery, busybox, etc etc. Well worth 2.49 for it IMO.
    02-01-10 12:23 PM
    DroidRootPro is the best app I have used for rooting needs. It installs SP recovery, busybox, etc etc. Well worth 2.49 for it IMO.
    This would be a better option if you are new to this. This will help install all of the necessary files without bricking your phone.
    02-01-10 01:34 PM
    Yes but you can take it back to stock as long as you make a backup first. Rooting is painless and take a total time of 1-2 minutes. I recommend it
    02-01-10 02:13 PM
    yes, make a back up as it allows you to restore easily right form the phone without doing anymore. However, there are stock flashes out there for download if it gets corrupted or lost.
    02-01-10 02:18 PM
    Just bought it. Thanks.....................
    02-01-10 02:37 PM
    No problem Trendy, lemme know how everything goes for you. To dman, its worth rooting the droid, you get wireless tether (great for alot of reasons), overclocking (my droid is lightening fast), custom roms w/ different features (pinch and zoom, 2.1, etc etc). Like I said it take 1-2 minutes to do and the same time to get it undone.
    02-01-10 02:47 PM
    Ok starting it now.........wish me luck
    02-01-10 03:12 PM
    I know but my Droid is already fast. The only thing that needs fixing is the browser lag on certain websites. I've only had my Droid for a week and even though I'm already used to it, I think it's too early for me to root now that I think about. Give me some time and I'll probably root it.
    I thought I saw somewhere someone mention unchecking Java, did you try that?

Oh, and good luck TP.
    02-01-10 03:42 PM
    Didn't mean to delete my post but I just saw a video of a Droid overclocked at 800MHz and am now sold. If someone can recommend me a good (and free) backup app then I will happily root my Droid.
    I am at 1Ghz and am running just fine. If you are rooted, you can perform a nandroid backup, basically backs everything from your phone, from settings to apps, an exact copy of your current state of your phone. There are good paid apps out there that will allow you to back up most of the stuff on your phone, but not to the extent that a nandroid backup will. And yes it is free.
    02-01-10 05:53 PM
    1Ghz here and smooth as butter.......to all the doubters go for it...
    02-01-10 06:20 PM
    Thanks and I just rooted my Droid.

Now I just need some easy steps of how to overclock it. If someone can please post a helpful guide that would be great.
    Try to look for droid root helper in the market. Get that and install busybox and all that good stuff through it, and install the flash image, along with the recovery image. From then on you can just install a nandroid backup of just the overclock (found here: AllDroid - View topic - Droid is stable at 800MHz. Nuff said *950MHz, 1.1GHz added* ) and just flash your boot and it will give you the overclock kernel.
    02-01-10 06:24 PM
135 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD