If a T-Mobile user is under a current 2 year contract, and wants a newer phone and isnt eligible for an upgrade currently.

What are the choices to work around these obsticles (avoiding outrageous ETF).

I have a buddy who is drooling over the new mYtouch 4g

Can he put his current line on hold for a small charge during the rest of his contract and add a new line.

finaggle an early upgrade before his May 2011 annual upgrade

etc, any other tips, tricks, suggestion will be tremendously appreciated
    11-04-10 08:43 PM
    There is nothing you can really do, if you are in a contract you are in a contract. Bottom line.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-10 08:47 PM
    I vaguely recall reading a user put his phone on hold, vacation, sleep, etc. I cant remember the exact wording. Im hoping someone who has done something similiar can share how they did it.
    11-04-10 08:52 PM
    he could just activate a new line then put the sim card in his current phone in the new phone then put the new sim card in a dumb phone then drop the data plan. Then he would have an extra 9.99 per month for the extra line.

i have done this with verizon before. Yeah it sucks having the extra 9.99 but if you really want a new phone its the best option.
    11-04-10 08:54 PM
    he could just activate a new line then put the sim card in his current phone in the new phone then put the new sim card in a dumb phone then drop the data plan. Then he would have an extra 9.99 per month for the extra line.

i have done this with verizon before. Yeah it sucks having the extra 9.99 but if you really want a new phone its the best option.

True, if its only $10 to get the phone he wants thats a decent price to pay
    11-04-10 08:57 PM
    True, if its only $10 to get the phone he wants thats a decent price to pay
    But... 10*24=240 over the 2 year contract.. plus whatever the phone cost you are looking 440 dollars... not such a great deal imo.. Id try to find the phone used..
    11-05-10 03:10 AM
    But... 10*24=240 over the 2 year contract.. plus whatever the phone cost you are looking 440 dollars... not such a great deal imo.. Id try to find the phone used..

yeah but 10 dollars a month isn't going to hurt anyone. Besides the mytouch 4G is a 600 dollar phone and its brand new so there is no used market for it.
    11-05-10 12:43 PM
    yeah but 10 dollars a month isn't going to hurt anyone. Besides the mytouch 4G is a 600 dollar phone and its brand new so there is no used market for it.
    it's 449.00 off contract.

I know i'm planning on buying one @ full price.
    T-Mobile's Site for the MyTouch4G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mjneid; 11-05-10 at 01:32 PM.
    11-05-10 01:14 PM
    Besides the mytouch 4G is a 600 dollar phone and its brand new so there is no used market for it.
    Holy misinformation, Batman.

Anyhoo, there are no tricks or tips for this. All your friend needs to do is log into his My T-Mobile account, click either upgrade or shop for phones (can't remember which), & he'll select the MT4G. It'll show him the partial upgrade price he's eligible for. It'll be lower than retail, but higher than if he was eligible for a full upgrade. If he buys the phone, his contract will simply be extended for 2 years from the date he purchases it.

It's that easy. No adding lines, putting lines on hold, etc. The only question becomes if your friend is willing to buy the phone @ the partial upgrad price.
    11-05-10 01:24 PM
    Holy misinformation, Batman.

Anyhoo, there are no tricks or tips for this. All your friend needs to do is log into his My T-Mobile account, click either upgrade or shop for phones (can't remember which), & he'll select the MT4G. It'll show him the partial upgrade price he's eligible for. It'll be lower than retail, but higher than if he was eligible for a full upgrade. If he buys the phone, his contract will simply be extended for 2 years from the date he purchases it.

It's that easy. No adding lines, putting lines on hold, etc. The only question becomes if your friend is willing to buy the phone @ the partial upgrad price.
    Last time I did this, it was full retail...no partial anything. Thanks, Robin.

Edit: Should mention that it was with T-Mobile, 2yrs ago.
    Last edited by Strontium; 11-06-10 at 10:15 PM.
    11-06-10 10:11 PM

It's only $10 a month if he/she is already on a family plan (multiple lines), the first two lines cost full price every time, no exceptions. And actually, right now there's a promo going, so, depending on your plan and usage, if you do already have more than one line and are willing to add another to get the phone you desire, you can renew the contract on all lines and get on the promotion to make that new line $5 monthly for the duration of the 2 years. That all said, you'd be lucky to find a retail store manager that would be willing to remove the web feature from the new line, because it's against policy and T-Mobile execs/management are really cracking down on these types of things. Customer care will no longer do it, it's all to the discretion of the store manager, and they get reamed for such things. Find the right store that's near the end of it's month and hurting to meet their goals/quota and you might just get lucky, otherwise that $5 or $10 then becomes $35 or $40. The reality is you're simply going to have to wait, if you're at all logical/sound of mind. By then there will be all sorts of cool new devices and you'll be glad you did. The MyTouch 4G is super dope, no arguments there, and had it the awesome screen of my Vibrant I'd have one already, but I still push the Vibrant over it every time. The only two things it has over the Galaxy S is the flash for the camera and a forward facing cam for video calling/conferencing, which you can only currently do with those whom have the select few (emphasize FEW) phones with that feature.
    11-06-10 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD