Google Nexus One Review, Android Thoughts � Boy Genius Report

Best, most unbiased review yet. His commentary at the end was very iPhone biased, but the actual phone review was not.

Reading this has entirely changed my mind on getting the Nexus One. I will hold on to my Storm2 for a while.
    01-09-10 11:03 AM
    Good review. Bias, but good. I agree with him. Android cannot compete overall with the iPhone OS. It is too beautiful, smooth and designed extremely well. But, like he said, Android isn't for everyone. You know if Android is for you or not.

The N1 is extremely nice, but like I said by the time it gets to Verizon, something better will be ready. Plus Apple is probably going to **** on anything coming out this year.
    01-09-10 11:28 AM
    From the review: "Getting over the sunlight issue, the screen isn’t as rich as the Motorola DROID’s display, unfortunately. We didn’t miss the actual resolution in terms of having more room, but the DROID’s display doesn’t show pixelation like the Nexus One does, and just honestly seems like a better product. Now, before you get too worked up, the Nexus One display is in and of itself great, but if you’d like to know the best of the best, it would have to be the DROID’s display."

This really surprised me. Didn't see that one coming at all...
    01-09-10 11:53 AM
    Does anyone else feel like phone reviews these days are becoming way to critical? I've played around with the S2, Droid and even the Nexus One and I can say all 3 phones are really great in there own ways. I feel with the recent reviews these websites have done they only focus on what the phone doesn't do and how it falls short instead of it's features and benefits. I'm not an iphone hater by any means but It really makes me wonder what would be said if the iphone 3Gs was reviewed under today's standards. I will say I am very stoked to see where cellphones are going and how fast they are progressing. It makes me wonder what they will be like in a couple years with the Tegra 2 inside.
    01-09-10 01:31 PM
    I heard the nexux is one awesome phone that could be huge competition for blackberries and iphones I wonder if both apple and RIM are going to respond with awesome phones.
    01-09-10 01:43 PM
    I don't like how at the end he kept comparing it to the iPhone but of course, that's where we are with devices.... how they match up the iPhone. I mean as soon as the device dropped you have articles, blogs, users either declaring or denying this is an "iPhone killer". Kind of the measuring stick for touchscreen devices and new OS. With that, I do agree with some of the things. I do wish the OS was a little more polished but at the same time it's not a bad OS so I don't feel as strongly as he does. All in all, I like Android devices and I will try them out as they come and OS updates.
    01-09-10 01:46 PM
    I heard the nexux is one awesome phone that could be huge competition for blackberries and iphones I wonder if both apple and RIM are going to respond with awesome phones.
    Android in its current form can't hope to compete with a Balckberry's most important feature: Email.

Everything else can use improvement, but email has always been where Blackberry's shine. The rest has always been meh.
    01-09-10 02:45 PM
    Someone here reminds me of Cardstorm. Hmmmmm
    01-09-10 02:46 PM
    If that was directed at me...LOL.

I don't think anyone can argue that Blackberry doesn't handle email better than Android.

The rest of the OS sucks, as I mentioned, but for email, its second to none.

That said, I will take my Droid over BB because email is not my primary focus in a phone.
    01-09-10 03:11 PM
    With this phone, it seems like Google is becoming like Apple. NOT A GOOD THING.
    -Worrying too much about the aesthetics
    -Marketing primarily to stupid teenage children (pop culture bulls**t)
    -Over pricing.
    -Trying to snag as much money as possible, relying on societal rules to convince people to buy the phone. Because having the newest, greatest, most expensive thing out there is "cool"
    01-09-10 03:17 PM
    Overpricing?

Really?

I disagree. I think the price is nice for whats in it. Pity there is no hardware keyboard, or I would be all over it.

FWIW, companies don't make money by portraying that what you have is good enough. They make money by convincing you that you need or want the latest and greatest.

Google isn't a charity.
    01-09-10 03:20 PM
    If that was directed at me...LOL.

I don't think anyone can argue that Blackberry doesn't handle email better than Android.

The rest of the OS sucks, as I mentioned, but for email, its second to none.

That said, I will take my Droid over BB because email is not my primary focus in a phone.
    Nope not directed towards you.
    01-09-10 03:39 PM
    Overpricing?

Really?

I disagree. I think the price is nice for whats in it. Pity there is no hardware keyboard, or I would be all over it.

FWIW, companies don't make money by portraying that what you have is good enough. They make money by convincing you that you need or want the latest and greatest.

Google isn't a charity.
    The price is going to be upwards $500 USD. They only offer the phone unlocked, unlocked phones are not popular in the US. I would not want a slide out keyboard on this phone. You are completing correct. They try to convince you that what you have is "uncool" and outdated. They rely on the public to help them out with that. Google is not a charity, but that does not mean that they have to jump ship and become like Apple. All we need in this world are people that resemble Apple Fanboys...
    01-09-10 03:43 PM
    Nope not directed towards you.
    Well, shucks.

My apologies then.
    01-09-10 03:46 PM
    With this phone, it seems like Google is becoming like Apple. NOT A GOOD THING.
    -Worrying too much about the aesthetics
    -Marketing primarily to stupid teenage children (pop culture bulls**t)
    -Over pricing.
    -Trying to snag as much money as possible, relying on societal rules to convince people to buy the phone. Because having the newest, greatest, most expensive thing out there is "cool"
    Unfortunately, this is what all the companies are doing now. They realize that it's the younger people that buy these devices impulsively. Older people tend to stick to device for a longer period time. And how do you get younger people to buy? By making something that's "cool". The argument of having the newest things can be pinned on RIM, Apple, Google and anyone else. RIM wants us to put away the old storm and get the new one because it's cooler. Google wants people to upgrade to the Nexus from the mytouch because that means they sold that customer 2 devices. Apple will want all iPhone users to upgrade to the next one. Just how it's going right now. I do think Apple started this, but hopefully it will work for our benefit to get better devices and services.
    01-09-10 03:47 PM
    The price is going to be upwards $500 USD. They only offer the phone unlocked, unlocked...<snip>

I think your data is a bit dated.

It can be bought unlocked, subsidized through T-Mo, and later this year, subsidized through VZW.
    01-09-10 03:48 PM
    I really don't see what the fuss is with the iPhone (yes I did own a 3G for over a year) every comparison bleats on and on about oooOOO the app store has 100,000 apps! Whereby most are absolute shoddy and the vast majority are copies or different versions of the same apps. How many types of papi jump games are there?

Still this is a major selling point, the phone and the features itself is a hindsight.

How many nexus or droid comparisons praise them for multitasking? Barely any instead slag off the said android device and say well the scrolling is smoother on the iPhone.
    What is it? Does iTunes brainwash the low IQ people?

Let's compare, multitasking, let's compare putting mp3's onto the phone. Let's compare sharing files between devices. Let's compare customisation. Let's compare openness in the platform. Let's compare the 'real' qualities of a smartphone not who's scroll is smoothest or how many versions of fart apps there are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 04:14 PM
    I really don't see what the fuss is with the iPhone (yes I did own a 3G for over a year) every comparison bleats on and on about oooOOO the app store has 100,000 apps! Whereby most are absolute shoddy and the vast majority are copies or different versions of the same apps. How many types of papi jump games are there?

Still this is a major selling point, the phone and the features itself is a hindsight.

How many nexus or droid comparisons praise them for multitasking? Barely any instead slag off the said android device and say well the scrolling is smoother on the iPhone.

Let's compare, multitasking, let's compare putting mp3's onto the phone. Let's compare sharing files between devices. Let's compare customisation. Let's compare openness in the platform. Let's compare the 'real' qualities of a smartphone not who's scroll is smoothest or how many versions of fart apps there are.

I agree completely
    01-09-10 05:54 PM

That would require too much thought. It's much easier to "review" based on fart apps and scrolling!
    01-09-10 09:03 PM
    My take on this is, if Android would make use of the f***ing GPU in their devices...then none of this would be said about it. It all comes down to what looks nicer in the end and at the moment the iPhone still holds the crown. Everything is smooth and consistent. On Android, its smooth about 75% of the time, but I cant tell you how annoyed I get to scroll through my messages app and have it jump around.

If they would polish it up and use that GPU for animations and such, it would MOST DEF be an iPhone contender.
    01-10-10 03:41 AM
    Android in its current form can't hope to compete with a Balckberry's most important feature: Email.

Everything else can use improvement, but email has always been where Blackberry's shine. The rest has always been meh.
    email and syncing with outlook in my book. without outlook, my day falls to pieces before my very hands
    01-10-10 04:02 AM
    My take on this is, if Android would make use of the f***ing GPU in their devices...then none of this would be said about it. It all comes down to what looks nicer in the end and at the moment the iPhone still holds the crown. Everything is smooth and consistent. On Android, its smooth about 75% of the time, but I cant tell you how annoyed I get to scroll through my messages app and have it jump around.

If they would polish it up and use that GPU for animations and such, it would MOST DEF be an iPhone contender.
    i feel like its only a matter of time before they polish everything. there have been so many updates within the last year and a half, i would not be surprised if they polished everything by the end of this year. afterall, it is google right?
    01-10-10 04:04 AM
    I heard the nexus is one awesome phone that could be huge competition for blackberries and Iphone I wonder if both apple and RIM are going to respond with awesome phones.
    I think that the Nexus is the response to RIM and Apple's awesome devices. To be honest with everyone, I think that the smartphone technology seems to be moving forward faster than we are. I may be wrong, but these devices are coming with some great features that I don't think people will use. Its kind of similar to computers that have vast capabilities, when the ordinary consumer uses them for the web and burning CDs. I really like the looks of the Nexus, Droid, Iphone, and all of the other fancy smartphones, but at the end of the day, the only thing I will have used my smartphone for are: making calls, text messaging, IMs, emails, light web browsing, task list, calendar, and snapping the occasional photo to upload to Facebook. I can do all of this with a BlackBerry that I had two years ago. I suspect that there are a lot of people out there like me. I don't know for sure, but it is just a hunch. I think that there is a small population of people out there that actually take advantage of the full potential of some of these "super devices".

01-10-10 05:57 AM
    I think that the Nexus is the response to RIM and Apple's awesome devices. To be honest with everyone, I think that the smartphone technology seems to be moving forward faster than we are. I may be wrong, but these devices are coming with some great features that I don't think people will use. Its kind of similar to computers that have vast capabilities, when the ordinary consumer uses them for the web and burning CDs. I really like the looks of the Nexus, Droid, Iphone, and all of the other fancy smartphones, but at the end of the day, the only thing I will have used my smartphone for are: making calls, text messaging, IMs, emails, light web browsing, task list, calendar, and snapping the occasional photo to upload to Facebook. I can do all of this with a BlackBerry that I had two years ago. I suspect that there are a lot of people out there like me. I don't know for sure, but it is just a hunch. I think that there is a small population of people out there that actually take advantage of the full potential of some of these "super devices".

I have a Droid and I don't use it at it's full potential. I use it pretty much as you describe. The difference however is speed. To use the web on a Blackberry takes forever, with Droid it's just so amazingly fast it puts a Blackberry to shame. Being faster makes a big difference IMHO. Also the OS works smoother, no daily battery pulls, nor a need for an app that does one. It manages memory so much better then a Blackberry does that you can put an amazing amount of apps on the phone.

So even for the casual user this phone is a better phone even if I don't use it for everything it can do. By the way I liked your comparison with computers, that was an excellent analogy.
    01-10-10 06:36 AM
    email and syncing with outlook in my book. without outlook, my day falls to pieces before my very hands
    Yes. Syncing Outlook on Android is a PITA and requires you to jump through a bunch of hoops. There should be a better answer.
    01-10-10 06:40 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD