Also You can get Android without any Google services.(i.e cyanogenmod).
    I'm sorry, which phones can you buy with cyanogenmod (besides One Plus One). That's right none. Unless you ROOT the phone.
    08-10-14 03:42 PM
    neutral position in this forum instead of being a fanboy.
    LOL. You don't expect ANYONE to believe that do you? Why do you think he made the comment he made? You and Tre are leading the android pack.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    08-10-14 03:46 PM
    Seems an odd tweet as if Blackberry only a few users.... now many does Blackphone have???? BB10 has been out a year and no hack.... small user base or not... Blackphone is out a month or so with little or no user base... why bother hacking it?????
    LOL... I can't tell if he's being serious or just needling folks.

I'm sure a bounty had a role to play in the Blackphone effort. I wonder if pride will drive the BB10 adventure.

Give him some time, and then we can proclaim victory.
    08-10-14 03:48 PM
    LOL. You don't expect ANYONE to believe that do you? Why do you think he made the comment he made? You and Tre are leading the android pack.

I think your time on the forum will be more enjoyable if you ignore people you can't understand.
    propeller10 likes this.
    08-10-14 03:51 PM

I think your time on the forum will be more enjoyable if you ignore people you can't understand.
    Now I can't understand people?
    08-10-14 03:53 PM
    lay off the personal jabs. You all know better
    08-10-14 04:00 PM
    Pft. People post what they can hack. They are sure wont post what they cant hack.
    Yes, it's called paid endorsement.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 04:20 PM
    Like him or not, if you want to see whether there's any substance to his posts at all it is better to give him time to attempt what he is, apparently, attempting.

If everyone's throwing insults at him that's not going to happen.

Personally I'd like to see people attempting to find exploits in BB10, as it gives us a better idea of how secure it really is.

Posted via CB10
    tre10, TGR1 and Shadowyugi like this.
    08-10-14 04:32 PM
    Like him or not, if you want to see whether there's any substance to his posts at all it is better to give him time to attempt what he is, apparently, attempting.

Personally I'd like to see people attempting to find exploits in BB10, as it gives us a better idea of how secure it really is.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's a reasonable endeavor. BBRY might not appreciate folks egging him on, but it's good for consumers.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 08-10-14 at 08:52 PM.
    08-10-14 04:40 PM
    I don't like BlackBerry zealots at all, but I also don't like bragging douches. Would like to see his progress on territory which is not so well documented.
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_finland_202 using Tapatalk
    spiculated and southlander like this.
    08-10-14 04:45 PM
    The man is quite familiar with Android.

Would be somewhat ironic if he managed to find an exploit derived from the runtime.

I think that's the weakest part of the equation, and despite being "sandboxed" I think it can control some functions.

Not to mention exploits derived from cell antenna processor and stuff.

Depends on how well paratek patched that. Could be another hole in the system.

Posted via (hopefully) a passport A10
    southlander likes this.
    08-10-14 04:47 PM
    The man is quite familiar with Android.

Would be somewhat ironic if he managed to find an exploit derived from the runtime.

I think that's the weakest part of the equation, and despite being "sandboxed" I think it can control some functions.

Not to mention exploits derived from cell antenna processor and stuff.

Depends on how well paratek patched that. Could be another hole in the system.

Posted via (hopefully) a passport A10
    That would be interesting. I don't know enough about the subject matter to speak on it with authority, but if the runtime did happen to be an entry point, or would indeed be ironic.

Everything I've come to understand indicates that this should be impossible. But what really is?
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 08-10-14 at 08:52 PM.
    08-10-14 05:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hypothetically: If he's serious and manages to find an exploit, Chen should pay him a bounty and put him under NDA not to publish while BlackBerry patches it. If it happens to be through the runtime, then he should consider hiring him to continue to poke holes in it as a paying gig. Dude says he needs money more than fame, right?

Otherwise, if there is any available exploit and he publishes it, the media is going to cream BlackBerry and they don't need that right now. Yes, it would be a double standard if BlackPhone gets a pass on being exploited, but we all know the drill.

That's IF he manages to find an exploit of course.
    08-10-14 05:12 PM
    Hypothetically: If he's serious and manages to find an exploit, Chen should pay him a bounty and put him under NDA not to publish while BlackBerry patches it. If it happens to be through the runtime, then he should consider hiring him to continue to poke holes in it as a paying gig. Dude says he needs money more than fame, right?

Otherwise, if there is any available exploit and he publishes it, the media is going to cream BlackBerry and they don't need that right now. Yes, it would be a double standard if BlackPhone gets a pass on being exploited, but we all know the drill.

That's IF he manages to find an exploit of course.
    Considering in his Twitter profile he describes himself as "the biggest mouth in Android". I"m willing to bet he wouldn't go for it. In fact it would probably backfire horribly with him telling the Android base what he was offered.

Also did you see his latest tweet saying "If you want a secure android, buy Sony Samsung or Motorola". Is that for realz?
    08-10-14 05:23 PM

Also did you see his latest tweet saying "If you want a secure android, buy Sony Samsung or Motorola". Is that for realz?
    Probably referring to the ones with FIPS certs.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 08-10-14 at 08:53 PM.
    08-10-14 05:25 PM
    Must be. Another nice slam against Blackphony again.
    08-10-14 05:27 PM
    Considering in his Twitter profile he describes himself as "the biggest mouth in Android". I"m willing to bet he wouldn't go for it. In fact it would probably backfire horribly with him telling the Android base what he was offered.

No, I just checked out his Twitter briefly after reading through the thread.

I don't know what to make of that Tweet: is he saying LG, HTC, et al are less secure? Or that those three he listed are more secure than BlackPhone? Meh, I don't really care anyway to be honest. I'm fine with Android as a tablet e-Reader, browser and entertainment machine but if BlackBerry didn't exist I'd probably go back to iPhone (reluctantly). Android mobile is definitely not for me. Too clunky and I hate Google's policies like the forced Google+ integration into everything, amongst other things.

BlackBerry is imo the most secure platform but it's still coded by human beings so mistakes happen. I know someone figured out how to root the PlayBook (Dingleberry) briefly, and apparently an early version of BB10 had a vulnerability so it's always a possibility.

So IF he did manage to find something (most likely in BB10's handling of the runtime is my guess), then BlackBerry should act on it. The only downside is that the media is going to ride that puppy like there's no tomorrow if it happens so "if I were Chen" (Armchair CEO), I'd be preemptive about it. It wasn't that long ago that the press reported the RCMP "hacked" BBM to prosecute some Mafioso when the real story is almost certainly that they got legal warrants and presented them to BlackBerry who gave them access (as they should). But that didn't stop the sensationalist headlines. No no no.

And with the end of the restructuring, some tech blog excitement over the Passport and the sense that BlackBerry has 'turned the page', this is just not something that needs to happen publicly right now.
    08-10-14 05:41 PM
    Hmmm. Now I'm not saying there isn't a chance this could be true. (nothing is 100% absolutely secure) However, wouldn't hacking (or rooting, whatever) into a BlackBerry be a very prestigious thing to do and get you a TON of headlines? So why doesn't he do it then? Instead of calling BlackBerry user idiots? Why not 'shut us up?'

I'm assuming it's because he can't do it.

Posted via CB10 (Via limited WiFi connection)
    Well a lot of blackberry users are behaving like children and he's calling them on it. Don't be surprised if he makes a concerted effort at making a point now. Blackberry absolutely CAN be hacked. But a lot of people with no knowledge of the subject, evidenced throughout these threads, are saying A LOT of things they have no understanding of. So he may well take advantage of blackberry's legendary hubris. (For example, remember when they said the iPhone was impossible?)

And he's correct in what he says. A big reason bb10 has never been hacked is because of their miniscule install base.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-10-14 06:41 PM
    Chen would shut that down promptly.

Posted via Z30
    08-10-14 06:51 PM
    Well a lot of blackberry users are behaving like children and he's calling them on it. Don't be surprised if he makes a concerted effort at making a point now. Blackberry absolutely CAN be hacked. But a lot of people with no knowledge of the subject, evidenced throughout these threads, are saying A LOT of things they have no understanding of. So he may well take advantage of blackberry's legendary hubris. (For example, remember when they said the iPhone was impossible?)

And he's correct in what he says. A big reason bb10 has never been hacked is because of their miniscule install base.
    "Hey BlackBerry idiots, stop miss quoting me on your blogs. Your phone is only "secure" because it has few users and little value as a target". Justin Case

If this is the Tweet that instigated alleged BlackBerry users to respond like children. Well, then, are telling me your shocked a childish remark gets childish responses.

"Blackberry absolutely CAN be hacked". - tchocky77. Please prove it.

If 70 million is a minuscule install base (Canada + Australia). Then the Blackphone root was truly a non-event.
    08-10-14 06:53 PM
    And as you know, the FIPS certifications only indicate that software encryption modules comply with the published standard for (US federal processing) encryption requirements, and only when activated. They say nothing about any other aspect of security or privacy.
    lift likes this.
    08-10-14 06:55 PM
    "Hey BlackBerry idiots, stop miss quoting me on your blogs. Your phone is only "secure" because it has few users and little value as a target". Justin Case

If this is the Tweet that instigated alleged BlackBerry users to respond like children. Well, then, are telling me your shocked a childish remark gets childish responses.

"Blackberry absolutely CAN be hacked". - tchocky77. Please prove it.

If 70 million is a minuscule install base (Canada + Australia). Then the Blackphone root was truly a non-event.
    Saying there are few users and it has little value is the same argument that Windows users threw at Mac users about viruses when it came to the desktop back in the day, lol. plus �a change, plus c'est la m�me chose...

Having said that, I'm not on board with harassing the guy on Twitter. He posted about hacking BlackPhone and never mentioned BlackBerry so I'm not sure how it escalated in the first place.

It seems like the baby is getting lost in the bathwater. Everyone has their own definition of security from the NSA spying to identity theft. Assuming any platform can be "hacked", the real question is about which solution overall best meets the requirements of security. What choice gives you the most peace of mind? Especially Enterprise.

From my understanding (as a layman), the smart money is on BES regardless of platform.

Maybe someone should challenge him to hack BES and Secure Work Space instead of finding vulnerabilities in BB10 phones. And do the same for Good, MobileIron, etc. Wouldn't that be a better test?
    08-10-14 07:07 PM
    And as you know, the FIPS certifications only indicate that software encryption modules comply with the published standard for (US federal processing) encryption requirements, and only when activated. They say nothing about any other aspect of security or privacy.
    Agreed. I am not entirely sure what he's referring to.

FIPS is the only thing I could come up with with regards to the OEMs he mentioned.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 08-10-14 at 08:53 PM.
    08-10-14 07:30 PM
    Agreed. I am not entirely sure what he's referring to.

FIPS is the only thing I could come up with with regards to the OEMs he mentioned.
    That's twice now that you've added Z50's comment to a post. You're baiting for a response, let it go.

Stop trying to escalate the argument if you're not one sided about it.
    bungaboy and spikesolie like this.
    08-10-14 07:54 PM
    That's twice now that you've added Z50's comment to a post. You're baiting for a response, let it go.

Stop trying to escalate the argument if you're not one sided about it.
    It's supposed to be part of my signature. Mobile messed up.

LOL @ you referencing escalation LOL. Let's let bygones be bygones, and let's not derail the thread. Use the report button if you feel the disenfranchised are being picked on. Z is quite capable of defending himself.
    08-10-14 07:58 PM
472 ... 45678 ...