Just read the updates from the Blackberry press conference & with all the additions BB has made, its definitely closer to the Android & iOS4 operating systems. IMO other than the google integration with Android, they've done a decent job with this attempt to catch up. What do you guys think so far?? Impressions? How do you think it compares as far as what info has been released so far?

BlackBerry Torch Specifications

Size (LxWxD) Closed: 4.4" x 2.4" x 0.57" / 111mm x 62mm x 14.6mm
    Open: 5.8" x 2.4" x 0.57" / 148mm x 62mm x 14.6mm
    Weight: 161.59 g / 5.7 oz (includes battery)
    Operating System: BlackBerry 6
    Memory: 512 MB internal flash memory/4GB built-in storage memory
    Expandable Memory: 4GB microSD card included/Supports up to 32GB microSD card
    Battery Life: GSM Talk Time: 5.5 hours; GSM Standby Time: 17 days/MTS Talk Time: 5.8 hours; UMTS Standby Time: 13 days
    Physical keyboard: 35 key backlit QWERTY
    Touchscreen keyboards: portrait/landscape full qwerty, condensed portrait
    Display: High resolution touch screen - Half-VGA+ display (360 x 480 at 188ppi)/3.2" (diagonally measured)
    Navigation - Capacitive traditional touch screen (no SurePress)/Optical trackpad
    Camera: 5.0 MP camera, flash, auto focus, face detection, image stabilization, scene modes, 2X zoom, video recording
    Video Camera: Normal Mode: 640 x 480 pixels
    WiFi: 802.11b/g/n, support for UMA (carrier-dependent)
    Bluetooth v2.1; Mono/Stereo Headset, Hands-free, Serial Port Profile, Bluetooth Stereo Audio (A2DP/AVCRP) and Bluetooth SIM Access Profile supported
    Last edited by YaBoiD; 08-03-10 at 11:29 AM.
    08-03-10 11:09 AM
    well i have been using OS6 for about...ooh thats right! no one has used it yet to give you any kind of actual answer
    08-03-10 11:12 AM
    Yeah this post may be better suited after os 6 is released, then you could get some real feedback...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 11:16 AM
    Well, as far as what we know right now on paper. Specs have been released for the device & features also.
    08-03-10 11:25 AM
    well i have been using OS6 for about...ooh thats right! no one has used it yet to give you any kind of actual answer
    What he said ^
    08-03-10 11:47 AM
    Comparing phones is so stupid.... buy what works for you.
    08-03-10 11:49 AM
    Those hardware specs are underwhelming at best but the os itself shows promise. I've never been a fan of BB's os in general but with the web kit browser and improved touch friendly UI, it should be more palatable to people who prefer touch only phones. With that said I can't help but think it might be a little too late. I hope I'm wrong though.
    08-03-10 12:51 PM
    If it weren't for the Storm I might not have had a BB. I don't like physical keyboards. Never have.
    If it were available on Verizon, I'd take a look at it.

Got no problem with comparing phones...as long as it is from actual USAGE of the phone. Stats on paper mean nothing.
    08-03-10 01:08 PM
    Nevermind Specs, the question is, what apps will be available for this device?

We are seeing more and more app support for Iphone and Android phones. Will the development community embrace OS6 or will they lean towards Apple and Android products?

Basic functionality of the device, Phone Calls, BBM, Email, Texting, etc etc, will not move this phone, unless Joe Six Pack can download a ton of apps to this device and not feel the need to move to another platform.

How will AT&T market this device, and how will RIM market this device? Two important questions.
    08-03-10 01:10 PM
    It sounds like the OS require better hardware than what RIM thinks is good enough. Kinda sad when your Flagship device with a newer, more "advanced" OS is using the same processor as a 2 year old device that uses 4.7.

According to Engadget-

but it definitely feels like the OS overwhelms the hardware a little when it's really cranking -- for example, the phone basically locked up while it loaded Engadget in the new Webkit browser, but when it was done loading it responded smoothly to panning and zooming.
    BlackBerry Torch first hands-on! (update: video) -- Engadget

It sounds like the the browser is in use it really puts a strain on the device. We'll see if thats the case after there are some in depth reviews.
    Last edited by avt123; 08-03-10 at 01:17 PM.
    08-03-10 01:14 PM
    It sounds like the OS require better hardware than what RIM thinks is good enough. Kinda sad when your Flagship device with a newer, more "advanced" OS is using the same processor as a 2 year old device that uses 4.7.

According to Engadget-

BlackBerry Torch first hands-on! (update: video) -- Engadget

It sounds like the the browser is in use it really puts a strain on the device. We'll see if thats the case after there are some in depth reviews.
    Either the user didnt know how to operate the device, or the operating system looks a bit unstable and the 3.2 inch screen looks a little cramped
    08-03-10 01:55 PM
    I smell more batt pulls
    08-03-10 03:32 PM
    EDIT: Nevermind. RIM is going to hit "Sanyo status" soon.
    Last edited by 12MaNy; 08-03-10 at 04:35 PM.
    08-03-10 03:58 PM
    Actually, it sounds like the device sucks and the only thing good is the build quality.

• The hardware (casing, build quality, feel) is typical RIM � it�s great. Very solid, actually a bit heavy, but a very good feel. The sliding mechanism is top notch.
    • The software is typical RIM � uninspired, old, clunky sometimes, and cluttered. Even with the new UI elements in OS 6, we experienced choppiness in the web browser, hangs navigating between screens, and a general feeling of well� claustrophobia sometimes. The simplified BlackBerry now sort of feels like too much has been added without thinking of the ramifications.
    • The keyboard is perfect � just like a Bold 9700, and it seems to not be dug in the slider mechanism, unlike the Palm Pre.
    • The internals of the BlackBerry Torch 9800 are disappointing. From the 624MHz CPU to only 512MB of RAM, to (sorry, confused RAM with built-in storage) the 1300mAh battery, it has us a little worried as it feels like the hardware is pushed to the max. On a brand new phone. That�s not even out yet.
    • The screen is laughable. For a company that is always �planning three years out� they surely didn�t get the memo that a 480�360, poor, poor LCD wasn�t going to cut it in 2010. That�s the focal point of the entire device, and it makes you feel outdated out of the gate.
    BlackBerry Torch 9800 hands on � Boy Genius Report
    08-03-10 04:21 PM
    God...that sounds like an awful device. I take back what I said earlier. It's going to take RIM 6 years to get to where everyone else is today.
    08-03-10 04:33 PM
    its BGR though which are always harsh on RIM. Although i dont expect alot new from OS 6 either. i still think its better than BGR states it is
    08-03-10 04:55 PM
    its BGR though which are always harsh on RIM. Although i dont expect alot new from OS 6 either. i still think its better than BGR states it is
    It's not just BGR. Everyone is harsh on RIM and there is reason for that. A 48x360 screen, are you kidding me? The OS is much larger now and more robust, and it has a slow processor. Several sites complained about the device locking up. BGR even says it feels like the device is pushed to the max. That is not smart. Unless the software still isn't ready, then it might be a different story.
    08-03-10 04:59 PM
    God...that sounds like an awful device. I take back what I said earlier. It's going to take RIM 6 years to get to where everyone else is today.
    Exactly. RIM is still behind with hardware. I don't get it.
    08-03-10 05:00 PM
    Well look at the competition from both Google and Apple. All the high end Phones for Android has 1 ghz cpu, 512 mb or more of ram, gpu and higher resolution screens. I give RIM credit for a 512 mb ram but why not expand to a faster then the Bold 9000/9700 cpu, add more built in space *like run a 16 GB card for the OS and Apps/User Data and let the OS use the Ram as what it is supposed to be Random Access Memory. Android is doing that and running great. Apple even has a 1 ghz cpu and I think 512 mb of ram but an even higher resolution screen.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    08-03-10 06:24 PM
    I think RIM did good with the torch. Bravo RIM, bravo.....
    08-03-10 09:06 PM
    wow i spit out my water when i saw that horrible looking phone of rim,locked up browser, and OS tisk tisk rim you could do better than that
    08-03-10 09:34 PM
    wow i spit out my water when i saw that horrible looking phone of rim,locked up browser, and OS tisk tisk rim you could do better than that
    That is because you are a fanboi
    08-03-10 09:50 PM
    BGR wasnt harsh on RIM back when the initial 9000 released, or the 9630. In fact they gave the phones glowing reviews. Times have changed, and RIM sadly has not.

Maybe OS6 doesnt suck, but that doesnt matter when the hardware powering it is struggling (is this why VZW killed 9550 testing of OS6?), and lacks items such as OpenGL , to compete on the level that Apple and Android are at in the consumer market.

This isnt even a big deal simply because its so underwhelming. These are features that should have been in OS5.
    08-03-10 10:23 PM
    That is because you are a fanboi
    no ur the bigger fanboy with the GB's
    08-03-10 10:34 PM
    no ur the bigger fanboy with the GB's
    Only cause you say so

Note to hot GF, I am cool with your GB's They just spit water out at the silliest things....oh those drama queens
    08-03-10 11:24 PM
123 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD