I believe you would have had better results with the PP SE.
    I did have the SE.
    12-04-20 11:39 AM
    I did have the SE.
    Fair enough then.

In my case though, I always typed a lot faster and much more accurately on the SE rather than the Keyone or the Priv.
    12-04-20 11:42 AM
    Fair enough then.

In my case though, I always typed a lot faster and much more accurately on the SE rather than the Keyone or the Priv.
    Which is inconceivable due to the significantly increased thumb travel.

But the Priv was a horrible, horrible keyboard - so I'll give you that one.
    12-04-20 11:47 AM
    Which is inconceivable due to the significantly increased thumb travel.

....And yet true....for me, the increased thumb level was not an issue really; what made the difference was the wider form and the bigger keyboard. Having said that, I still find it very curious that with the Priv I was consistently faster than with Keyone too!
    12-04-20 11:53 AM
    I believe you would have had better results with the PP SE.
    How so, I don’t see any real difference with AT&T Passport and SE Passport from a PKB standpoint.
    12-04-20 11:53 AM
    How so, I don’t see any real difference with AT&T Passport and SE Passport from a PKB standpoint.
    Correct. No real difference, but both these devices had a more pronounced chin than the PP OG, therefore handling of the device while typing was a lot better, therefore faster and more accurate typing. At least for me.
    12-04-20 11:56 AM
    Correct. No real difference, but both these devices had a more pronounced chin than the PP OG, therefore handling of the device while typing was a lot better, therefore faster and more accurate typing. At least for me.
    For me it’s missing a row of keys ;-D
    12-04-20 12:24 PM
    It wasn't that bad, especially for one with a very slim profile that has to hide behind the sliding display.

Not to mention its essentially IP rated design and extremely reliable keyboard swiping to autocomplete.

The Priv's keyboard does not get enough credit imo. It's not one that people needed to worry about finding a spare part for, because they'd never need one.

The operating system, processor, battery health would have become problematic far before the PKB ever would on that phone.

And even if it did fail, you could keep it closed and just use it like a slab in the meantime. Unlike say a candybar where you'd be staring at and losing display size to a non-functioning keyboard.
    saint300 likes this.
    12-04-20 01:15 PM
    In any of this keyboard comparison threads.... I end up seeing just how fractured this niche is.
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-04-20 02:32 PM
    Am i the only one here who really hated Titan's pkb? It is worse than even Priv.
    05-03-21 11:56 AM
    Am i the only one here who really hated Titan's pkb? It is worse than even Priv.
    I thought it was awful, but I'm glad someone is at least making the attempt.

But the fact that it comes out of a random Chinese warehouse already precludes me being able to use any of their devices as a serious daily driver.
    05-03-21 11:58 AM
    In any of this keyboard comparison threads.... I end up seeing just how fractured this niche is.
    Lol. It's fractured because individual techniques vary so much. Techniques vary some on VKB but without such significant impact. Also, PKB users might be mostly seeking to maximize their output quality & quantity. While minimizing impacts of visual distraction on topic development. A fair portion of VKB users might prove ok with "ok"? In my experience with users around me, at least.

Surprisingly little forum space seems invested in technique sharing and collaboration. Imo.

Some examples of technique variants that I've identified and labeled are "flat thumbers", "edge thumbers", "tip thumbers" and "nail thumbers". As defined by my personal observations. I'm mostly a "nail thumber". "Flat thumbers" generally prefer much larger KBs than "nail thumbers" like me do. As one example.

Yet, I'll grow thumbnail slightly (1 mm?) longer just to assist reaching, with more effective angle of incidence, the far column of larger keyboards. Yet again, for smaller sculptured keyboards like 9900, I trim thumbnail shorter to achieve hybrid of something like 90% "nail thumbing" and 10% "tip thumbing"... Lol. Including some thumb tip flesh better informs muscle memory of tactile clues & cues. For example.

Nail trimming to achieve desired technique is old hat to this old musician. Guitars, violin, mandolin, harp, banjo, piano etc each demand technique specific nail trimming. "Playing" Agent99 proves no different. Lol.

Another technique variant involves lift elevation during travel to the next target. My fastest typing is achieved without lifting thumb from kb at all. Lightly dragging thumb nail/tip across the keys while in route to next target further informs muscle memory with additional tactile cues. A total mess on capacitive UX, tho. Lol.

The "dragging" technique minimizes time & energy expended to lift thumb into the air higher than necessary. While also assisting to hold the handset in place during "out-of-position" situations. Or to damp chassis bounce when a given device's harmonic critical of its natural frequency is approached.

Every item in the universe possesses a definable natural frequency response to external excitation. (Even including quanta... Depending... Lol). PKB chassis dynamic natural frequency criticals can be fairly quickly identified by inducing rocking couples with common words. Like the word "company"? For example. Just type the word "company" repeatedly, faster & faster and you'll start feeling chassis "bounce" at certain frequencies. Different words generate different responses on different handset designs in different hands. Further "fracturing" the niche? ?? Lol.

I personally contend that SOMEone at RIM enjoyed a pretty solid command of engineering principals invested into Dakota development. Mike? Idk. An engineering "art form" too soon to be forever lost, imo. Fwiw.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-04-21 at 04:58 AM.
    05-04-21 04:12 AM
37 12