for corporate work, the only thing your sacrificing by going android is the RIM infrastructure, and the security. for consumer use, you're losing the "instant" email (only for yahoo, gmail and hotmail that i use, everything else is on the 18 min poll as i understand). consumer use is what i'll use it for, since i'll now have a work phone (blackberry), so i'll have best of both worlds.

one thing that came up in discussing this situation with my friends was that most companies are married to the BES infrastructure, they've invested tons and tons into the servers and licenses. the only thing we were concerned about was if there was a limit of licenses you can run on active sync and exchange. i don't think there is, but i might be wrong.
    Licensing in AD for ActiveSync is handled by your user licenses you purchased for normal AD use on the server. Normally companies are covered on that. If a user has access to AD login, they inherently have access to AS/Exchange.

Also, most companies that have BES most likely now run under Exchange for corporate email support anyway. So, that being said, they CAN support both platforms with no special configurations. There really is not excuse not to allow ActiveSync capable phones short of "preference" on the admin side.
    11-28-09 09:15 PM
    Also, most companies that have BES most likely now run under Exchange for corporate email support anyway. So, that being said, they CAN support both platforms with no special configurations. There really is not excuse not to allow ActiveSync capable phones short of "preference" on the admin side.
    Being in the position of a BES admin (kinda tacked onto the end of a laundry list of other widely varying IT responsibilities), I have to say preference has little to do with only supporting Blackberrys at our corp.

We'll basically allow end users to connect any handheld that has a (more or less) fully functional ActiveSync client and will even provide basic initial setup support (ie:enabling ActiveSync for their mailbox & providing server info) as time permits. The majority of them seem to fail the key tests of supporting remote wipes and on device encryption (which are required by our information security policies) and many are spotty enough in basic functionality like calendar, contact, address book syncing that the ensuing additional load of support issues make official support of anything but Blackberrys a total non-starter.

All that being said, I'm really hoping they get ActiveSync policy support on the Droid up to Windows Mobile/iPhone 3GS level so i can trade in my personal 1st gen Razr with ~8-10 hrs. of battery cycle left on a Droid and leave my corporate provided 8300 at work...
    Last edited by sidnitzerglobin; 12-22-09 at 10:51 PM.
    12-22-09 10:41 PM
    He did the test for business users. Why does a consumer need their e-mails the EXACT minute they're sent?

I use gmail anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
    this was a very dumb comment to make there are hundreds of reasons why a CONSUMER would need their emails at the exact minute they're sent. maybe they are their a contractor of sorts, run a personal business, or tons of reasons and dont have a need for BES because its just them. please refrain from making comments like this it just makes you look ignorant!
    12-22-09 10:54 PM
    He did the test for business users. Why does a consumer need their e-mails the EXACT minute they're sent?

I use gmail anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
    theres plenty of reasons why...like someone else mentioned i wont get into that..
    12-23-09 03:33 AM
    My company does not yet support AS for MS Exchange Server (the IT folks are in process of certifying its HIPAA security). I'm dying to get a Droid (way overdue for a new toy). Is there any equivalent to BB's desktop redirector that would allow me to bounce my Exchange mail from my desktop computer to my Droid?
    12-23-09 05:11 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD