I am confused by what I have been reading - are these REALLY 4G LTE phones? I know that the data transfer will occur over the LTE network at 4G speeds, but why not the voice? It sounds as though the voice will go over the 3G network. Is this a temporary situation? Will Verizon eventually let us use the 4G for voice or is the phone not capable of using the 4G, even if Verizon upgrades the system?
    02-19-11 03:34 PM
    Yes these are 4g LTE phones, and you're correct that the voice is going over the 3g network. 4G was built for speed so why would you need voice on 4G? I think its better that voice goes over 3G and data goes over 4G maybe this will prevent dropped calls having voice and data seperate.
    02-19-11 08:25 PM
    I know I read somewhere that 4G voice offered some advantages/options that 3G does not...it either had a better sound or something. Does Verizon plan on having them both go over 4G eventually? And, if so, will the Bionic be able to do that?
    02-19-11 09:11 PM
    I know I read somewhere that 4G voice offered some advantages/options that 3G does not...it either had a better sound or something. Does Verizon plan on having them both go over 4G eventually? And, if so, will the Bionic be able to do that?
    Yes once VZW has covered its 3G map with 4G they will be switching to VoLTE (voice over LTE) and selling VoLTE only phones

VZW has said that the Bionic and Thunderbolt might do VoLTE, but the demos they did with it was on the LG Revolution. The thing with VoLTE is if you start a call on it and you drop down to 3G, you will lose the call since they cant hand off.
    02-19-11 11:11 PM
    Thanks Devil...I did a search on VoLTE and found this article: Verizon's HD LTE Voice Calling: Hands On | News & Opinion | PCMag.com which supports your post and pretty much tells us it will be hit or miss right now as Verizon isn't sure if a simple software upgrade will allow the current crop of 4G LTE phones to eventually use the VoLTE system. It does say that the talk quality was greatly enhanced during the VoLTE tests.
    02-20-11 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD