has anyone tried using gTalk on Android? is it the same as BBM on BB device where as the msgs are pushed to the BB unit?

I'm using a Bold to communicate with my family members from China and Taiwan via BBM. My brother though do travel quite a bit. The thing with BB for international user who doesn't want to pay the roaming data charge (or company's paying for your cell phone plan) is that you don't really get BIS service anywhere you go. My brother's using BIS service from Hong Kong carrier to roam in China, it's still much cheaper than roaming using AT&T, but he will be going to Poland and some other eastern european country soon. We've been thinking about using Android gTalk with just regular data plan however we are not sure if it's used in the same regard as BBM.

On the iPhone i use Beejive for IM tasks..but that's more like a desktop experience where you are online when you run the software, and it drains battery quick.

I'm asking here because well, only BB user know how convenient BBM can be, so please share with me your experience with Android if you have it!

D
    09-27-09 02:53 AM
    never mind, we've tested it on a hero today and it seem to work pretty close to BBM.
    09-28-09 01:56 AM
    One thing I love about GTalk is the fact that you can be signed in at multiple locations and receive incoming messages at each. I have two phones, so I can be signed in on both and have access if I choose to leave one at home.
    10-21-09 02:33 PM
    it's nice because not only can you use it threw gmail, just about every device has the mobile version of it and it has a stand alone messenger client for pc so you can always contact each other when needed
    10-21-09 05:03 PM
    I like google talk, I use it all the time on my PCs and my BB.
    10-21-09 08:49 PM
    Google talk is great but most of my friends don't use it. My biggest loss going to android is bbm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 10:13 PM
    Google talk is great but most of my friends don't use it. My biggest loss going to android is bbm.

Same boat with you. It will be a lose for me. But I was fine before it and I'll be fine after it.
    10-21-09 11:28 PM
    can you put/install bbm on the andriod? i dunno if its possible but i use my bbm alot and kinda dont wanna lose it. thanks
    10-22-09 09:51 PM
    Same boat with you. It will be a lose for me. But I was fine before it and I'll be fine after it.
    Same here, my gf and I use BBM all the time. Looks like I'll have to get unlimited messaging now. BBM was just sooo convenient.

can you put/install bbm on the andriod? i dunno if its possible but i use my bbm alot and kinda dont wanna lose it. thanks
    Nope, only for BB's on their servers. Sorry.

BTW, that sure doesn't look like a Saleen in your avatar...
    10-23-09 07:48 AM
    Same here, my gf and I use BBM all the time. Looks like I'll have to get unlimited messaging now. BBM was just sooo convenient.
    If you both have smartphones I would assume you both have data plans? Just use aim/yahoo/google talk/msn/etc
    10-23-09 10:10 AM

Nope, only for BB's on their servers. Sorry.

BTW, that sure doesn't look like a Saleen in your avatar...

haha yeah thanks for noticing. well thats what the plan was with the car but i started seeing too many so i decieded against it.

damn i was really hopin for a way to get bbm on an android phone as i use the bbm very often
    10-23-09 09:04 PM
    Good friend of mine (Erdude) just left BB for a Hero, and we now chat on GTalk. It works really well. The interface is very similar to BBM, but you have to get people on a gmail account, and for some strange reason, not everyone wants to do that...
    10-23-09 09:06 PM
    Good friend of mine (Erdude) just left BB for a Hero, and we now chat on GTalk. It works really well. The interface is very similar to BBM, but you have to get people on a gmail account, and for some strange reason, not everyone wants to do that...
    I didn't know we were friends.

Look at you all Genius of Geniuses and stuff.
    10-23-09 09:11 PM
    I didn't know we were friends.
    You know we love ya bro, lmao!
    10-23-09 09:15 PM
    You know we love ya bro, lmao!
    Yeah you know I like to give the Sultan a hard time.
    10-23-09 10:22 PM
    Same, that will be the only thing Ill miss from the Storm.LOL
    10-23-09 11:17 PM
    Yeah. I suppose since there is a gtalk app on bb I could get my gf on that.

10-25-09 07:13 PM

Ya, Im going through having separation issues. Love my Moto Droid but luv my bbm So, I carry both devices with me at all times! I wish someone would develop an IM application for the droid that supports all commonly used im'ing services or maybe learn to do it myself...
    11-07-09 12:58 AM
    The issue karma is that bbm is proprietary to blackberries. It utilizes pins to communicate over their bis servers. It cannot be integrated with other IM clients.

11-07-09 09:18 AM
    Yeah. I suppose since there is a gtalk app on bb I could get my gf on that.

I'm in the same boat. I guess I just need to get my gf to use gtalk if I get a droid

11-07-09 09:40 AM
    Ya, Im going through having separation issues. Love my Moto Droid but luv my bbm So, I carry both devices with me at all times! I wish someone would develop an IM application for the droid that supports all commonly used im'ing services or maybe learn to do it myself...
    Android already supports the major IM applications. I know SO many more people that use aim/gtalk/yahoo than BBM it's ridiculous so I never even really used it.
    11-07-09 10:27 AM

me too...the only thing keeping me from getting the Nexus is BBM; everything else i can get with nexus...plus, most of the apps in a BB are useless for me because i have google apps and i use it for company too, so i keep using docs, contacts, taks, calendar and mail from it...the BB apps are just connecting to the google ones.

BBM, thats a whole different story...i have lots and lots of contacts...some of them took a shot at learning how to use BBM and getting their contacts...so changing to gtalk would be a hardone...more on that, they require an XMPP server, or a google apps or gmail account, believe me, some people still dont have one.

Another side of this is Push technology, it keeps the BB from draining out of battery because BBM and Email are not online all the time; you just get content when there is content to get, so having that technology inside an Android for all those apps i mentioned would keep the phone from going out of energy...syncing every 5-10 minutes is not a solution, push technology is.

I would pay for having push technology and BBM on an android...that is the ONLY reason i have not changed to android and i probably wont untill i have at least BBM or gtalk gets to be the standard defacto for online messaging. Sure, Gtalk is better, but every user with a blackberry uses BBM...not even all android users use gtalk
    02-10-10 03:32 PM
    Yeah, I really wasn't a huge BBM guy and losing that wasn't a dealbreaker at all. But, I loved that it was always connected when people had to get hold of me as yahoo and AIM will often disconnect and didn't suck battery like an IM client does.

At least AIM has an official release on android now, time for yahoo....
    02-10-10 05:20 PM
    Yeah, for the most part, my BB friends used it to tell me when I lost connection and went offline with my Yahoo app, that's about it, haha...
    02-10-10 06:56 PM
    This is so cool that I found this thread! My gf jus upgraded to the hero and now she has a google account, she has always used aol and she still does for email. I use gmail for email and a BB8330m so I suggested that we use gtalk u kno see how it is! And it is AWESOME we love it, very responsive! I suggested for the BB users out there and there friends that's jumping on the andriod ship its a great way to communicate besides sms!

Oh and I love BBM I have over 15 contacts and some of us are still holding on to the beloved BlackBerry!!!

02-11-10 10:39 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD