I had a 1st gen iPhone on T-mobile a few years ago and then switched to Verizon and picked up the Storm because Tmobiles service was horrible. I loved the iPhone as a phone but with Tmobile it really contained it.

I've had the BB Storm for almost a year now and has gone through the many OS leaks and now on the official 5.0 OS and the phone is a whole new phone but I'm starting to get bored with it and wondering if I should upgrade to Droid.

Are there any others who went to the Droid from the BB Storm? I'm not considering Storm2 because it really isn't that different than what I have now, only better responsive screen and wifi.
    11-08-09 03:54 PM
    I came from a year on the S1 to the Droid for the very reason you stated...I got bored with the RIM OS. The Droid brings a new level of capability and customization.

I had the S2 for a week and it is a very nice device with nice hardware improvements over S1. However, it was the same old stale OS and I felt like I needed something new to satisfy my tech cravings.
    11-08-09 03:59 PM
    I used an 8830 previously and loved it. But when our company switched to the Storm I wrote Blackberry off for good. I don't think RIM will ever catch up with Android or Apple.
    11-08-09 04:28 PM
    I picked up my Droid this afternoon. Customizing it now and looking for apps.
    11-08-09 04:34 PM
    I went from a S1 to the Droid and my wife inherited my old S1. I went through all the leaks like you said and it was nice. But the Droid is at a whole different level for me. It runs smoother and I had about 25 apps running at the same time and no lag for me.

I didn't even get to install 25 apps on my old S1 or it would putt along slowly.

Anyways this hardware and for the months to come seeing what will be done on teh 2.0 OS from Google. Its impressive to think of what will be on this. Personally I love google as a company always have. So will be fun to see where it goes but for me personally going from a S1 to a Droid was a HUGE HUGE improvement for things I personally wanted to do.
    11-08-09 04:38 PM
    Do you guys think it's worth the $550 price tag? I just signed up to Verizon and have a 2 year contract with them. When I bought my iPhone I bought it straight up and was worth it to me. How much could I sell the Storm for do you think?

I thought I'd love my first BB since I was starting my corporate job, but the OS and the phone is just boring to me. How is the e-mail service on the Droid? I just use gmail for my casual account, but sooner or later I'm hoping that I can get my company address to push through to the phone.

Also, does Google Wave work on this phone? I have a Wave account and have been using it and loving it.

I'm heading to Verizon right now to go play with it and see how I like it.
    11-08-09 04:46 PM
    You'll only know after you try it for yourself. I went in today to check it out and trade in my Storm 1 with OS 5. To make a long story short, after 1 minute of texting, I left the way I came in. In a twisted sort of way, as Pis*** as I was before the new OS, I am now very comfortable with what I have. I'm gonna upgrade to the Storm 2. You may love it after you try it out. I actually felt inferior after giving the Droid a try and not liking it. I actually thought something had to be wrong with me.... If EVERYBODY is jumping ship, am I stupid? Am I ignorant? Am I in love with the wrong phone? No, I am comfortable with my BB. It does what I want to do.
    11-08-09 05:05 PM
    the DROID for sure! but i would more prefere the HTC DROID instead of the motorola. only because I like the HTC's better.
    11-08-09 05:20 PM
    You'll only know after you try it for yourself. I went in today to check it out and trade in my Storm 1 with OS 5. To make a long story short, after 1 minute of texting, I left the way I came in. In a twisted sort of way, as Pis*** as I was before the new OS, I am now very comfortable with what I have. I'm gonna upgrade to the Storm 2. You may love it after you try it out. I actually felt inferior after giving the Droid a try and not liking it. I actually thought something had to be wrong with me.... If EVERYBODY is jumping ship, am I stupid? Am I ignorant? Am I in love with the wrong phone? No, I am comfortable with my BB. It does what I want to do.
    I went from the Storm to the Tour... with MUCH satisfaction (it was before the 5.0 update)!.... but after ONE MINUTE of texting... that's not enough at all to come to proper conclusion to a good phone. Texting became a learning experience withe the Storm! So how can you say that 1 min with the DROID is enough to know that is the wrong phone!

Don't let people believe the hype. I went to the Verizon store last night and tried out the Droid. It's so much better... touch blah blah blah.... every phone you buy you have to get use to their interface. You JUST HAVE TO GET USED TO IT!
    11-08-09 05:29 PM
    all I'm saying is.... it takes TIME to come to a conclusion.... an hour... two hours .... etc. at the store... IS NOT ENOUGH.... to come to a conclusion on a PHONE!
    11-08-09 05:32 PM
    I haven't gone to the store yet, but I agree that it will take a while to adjust to whatever phone you get. When I had a sidekick on Tmobile, I could type on that thing without looking and very quick. Went to the iPhone and I was slow! Adjusted to the keyboard and I was as fast as I was, likely faster due to iPhone having auto correct. Went to the Storm after and was really slow, but again adjusted to it.

So the short message to this, no matter what phone I get, I know that I text enough that I will adjust to how different it is so I'm not worried about that. I just feel with Droid as an open source, more options, customization, apps will be available compared to Blackberry. Also, I feel as though Google as a company is always pushing the boundaries, where RIM is not.
    11-08-09 05:57 PM
    Exactly! More apps will available with the DROID... RIM may not "push the boundaries".... but at least Android knows where they are going... OPEN SOURCE!... I can't believe even Apple hasn't gone this direction.... it's crazy!
    11-08-09 06:08 PM
    Let me clarify. Now remember, I went in "wanting" it. I was ready to buy. I'm not gonna get all negative but after one minute of holding, examining, praying (I really did) and texting I felt the phone was not for me. My son who is 21, merely looked at my face and said, "You aren't gonna get it, are you?" Drew, 1 minute really was long enough for me to make my decision. If I sit in a car and don't like it then it is pointless to even text drive it. If the hardware is not to my liking then I'm not gonna even gonna get to the software. It was sort of like me going back to the old pair of jeans my wife hides from me hoping I won't wear them out in public. They feel good, fit good, and the holes in them are from working. Not the factory...
    If it doesn't feel good in my hand what's the point? 1 minute is more than enough for drawing "that" conclusion.
    11-08-09 06:10 PM
    I'll admit I didn't like the Droid while playing with the display unit in the store. But taking a leap of faith and taking it home and using it non-stop for hour sold me on the device. It takes at least that long to get used to a brand new device like this.

I never liked the Storm from day one but I thought I could get used to it. Boy was I wrong on that one.
    11-08-09 06:15 PM
    NO "anything".... 1 minute is enough to draw a conclusion to SOME things.... but a phone? This is something you are gonna be okay with for 1-2 years... it's not a pair of jeans... this is something you are gonna stick with!

Either way, I'm sticking with the DROID for $400 :P ... And I don't even need to justify thanks to the sale of my Tour!
    11-08-09 06:17 PM
    I would suggest anyone looking at the Driod over Storm2 - go to the Verizon web site and you will see the issues people are having.
    11-08-09 06:18 PM
    I'm 23 and I know that the DROID is an awesome phone... "for you" is a personal opinion... but a great phone with the best features is right. The Droid is THE phone right now
    11-08-09 06:31 PM
    Just got back from the Verizon store and I can say this:

First of all they only had two demos and EVERYONE and their Mom was in the store doing the same thing trying to figure out if they wanted it or not. When I was finally able to get to it, the first thing I did was went to text. It reminded me of the Omnia that I returned because the keyboard is WAY to skinny for my fingers but the auto correct really helped me out just incase my fingers did hit a seperate button. Is there a way to use the keyboard that BB has where it's two letters per button? QW, ER, TY, UI, OP, etc etc?

Second thing was the amount of apps already on the device. Yahoo Fantasy Football was loaded on there, Google Stars (wtf is this app?) and I'm sure there are plenty more that are coming with the open source. This is something blackberry lacks.

The OS in general is just a lot quicker than the BB. Everything is smooth and transitions well. Right now I think they are about even but that's because I've gotten used to the BB and just started playing with the Droid but in the long run I believe that the Droid will easily jump pass the BB with everyone starting to jump on the wagon and developers come (just like the iPhone).

P.S. I also played with the Storm 2 and thought the screen clicked WORSE than my Storm right now. Basically a Storm with Wifi, big whoop.
    Last edited by HardHitter; 11-08-09 at 08:27 PM.
    11-08-09 08:19 PM
    the droid is the bomb make the switch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 08:28 PM
    Ok so I'm wanting to make the switch but I don't have an upgrade discount so would I be able to do the following...

If I add a $9.99 line, I can get the 2 year contract. I get 19% off my bill so, that will really make that $9.99 only $8 extra a month. Now if you multiply $8 by 2 years (24 months) it comes out to be an extra $192 onto my bill over two years plus the $199 cost or so of the phone which comes to be around $390 which is still way cheaper than paying $550.

Are you able to do that? You have your main line (So my Storm line) I add a line and put the Droid to the line that the Storm is on now? Do I need to buy a POS phone for the other line (I want to sell the Storm to makeup for the Droid cost) or can I just not even have a phone on that line?

Also in order to access our company e-mail and calendar and so forth if we are not using our own network, we have to log into the network using VPN. Is the Droid able to do this over the 3G and Wifi? So if I log into VPN, it will sync with my Microsoft Outlook e-mail and calendar?
    11-09-09 02:16 PM
    I played with a Droid yesterday for about 10-15 min. I liked it. It types about the same as the Storm2 but the features are way cool and the screen is great too. The minus is that it's a heavy load (6 oz. vs about 4.3 for the new HTC droid phone they had) and the slideout keyboard is pretty lame. I wish they'd make a model without it that was a little more aesthetic. The Driod is kind of a brick imo.
    11-09-09 02:37 PM
    We bought two Storm 2s. My wife's has been locking up a lot and she is now going back to Verizon to get another Storm 2. I am find that browsing isn't so great with lots of fields not allowing me to enter anything or I have to play with it for too long.

I have a feeling that in 3 to 6 months the Motodroid will be running smoother and will have thousand more apps. I tired to download Zagat to Go directly to the Storm 2 but I could not do it and even if I could, the cost is $3.99 per month and the Iphone & Droid Versions are $9.99. Now I just was able to download it but it says:

Error starting Zagat_BB:Module "Navigation' not found

I have about two weeks left to make the switch. Can you switch to the Droid and switch back to the Storm2?
    11-09-09 04:10 PM
    I've had the droid for 4 days. I just reactivated my Storm.

1. The droid was unreliable loading email. Over 2 states, it would load, not load and then reload the same email 10 + times over a days time.

2. Once done with a phone call the screen just goes black ? You can't see if you hang up, the other person hangs up.... etc? BAD.

3. Fold out keyboard with the onscreen keyboard? DUMB. The fold out keys are too small for me to use. This just makes the phone bigger than needs to be.

4. Plenty of cool apps to look at but.... I have a PC for LOTS of apps., etc. (an Obama app? HA!)

The phone was fun, nice graphics, but for business use, phone calls, email, etc... Unreliable and slow getting in and out. I'm back to the Storm 1, looking at getting Storm 2. After a year into the phone, BB finally got it right. It's a shame they initially released a faulty product.

My 2 cents..
    11-09-09 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD