Well, what do you make of this device from Planet.

Check it out on Android Central's front page today.
    01-19-21 11:25 AM
    Seems to only support Tmobile's 5G bands (at least for now).
    01-19-21 11:49 AM
    Seems to only support Tmobile's 5G bands (at least for now).
    Who needs 5g anyway? You can achieve all your requirements on 4g.
    01-19-21 12:04 PM
    Well, what do you make of this device from Planet.

Check it out on Android Central's front page today.
    It was announced back in Spring 2020, but had delays due to covid. Glad to see it's back on track.

Looks very promising for anyone looking for something other than a slab or older BlackBerry where they can get some serious type done.
    01-19-21 12:16 PM
    It was announced back in Spring 2020, but had delays due to covid. Glad to see it's back on track.

Looks very promising for anyone looking for something other than a slab or older BlackBerry where they can get some serious type done.
    It's really a mini-laptop, not a phone.
    01-19-21 12:19 PM
    It's really a mini-laptop, not a phone.
    If by that you mean that you need a desk or some kind of surface to use the keyboard (unlike the F(x) Tec Pro 1 or BB Priv) then I get it.

But when closed, it'll really just be a slab that's thicker and heavier than most.
    01-19-21 12:24 PM
    Who needs 5g anyway? You can achieve all your requirements on 4g.
    It's specifically being advertised as a 5G phone.
    01-19-21 12:32 PM

But when closed, it'll really just be a slab that's thicker and heavier than most.
    An over 300g slab, ya.

50% heavier than a Passport or Note 20 Ultra.
    01-19-21 12:38 PM
    An over 300g slab, ya.

50% heavier than a Passport or Note 20 Ultra.
    So it's as heavy as the Unihertz Titan.

Different form factor for different use case though.

I think it's still a very cool device, and it looks a hell of alot more refined than their Cosmo Communicator and Planet Gemini.
    01-19-21 12:42 PM
    So it's as heavy as the Unihertz Titan.

Different form factor for different use case though.

I think it's still a very cool device, and it looks a hell of alot more refined than their Cosmo Communicator and Planet Gemini.
    I have no idea what the market is.

It's certainly no slab substitute, as it's double the weight of a Pixel 4a 5G.

Finding a spot to sit and slide out a massive landscape (but still cramped for 2-handed typing) mechanism is hardly an ultra-lightweight laptop substitute either.

It's basically the worst of both worlds.

To me, anything larger than a Passport keyboard (and I personally find that too big), is counter-productive until you get to the size of a laptop.
    01-19-21 12:45 PM
    I have no idea what the market is.

It's certainly no slab substitute, as it's double the weight of a Pixel 4a 5G.

Finding a spot to sit and slide out a massive landscape (but still cramped for 2-handed typing) mechanism is hardly an ultra-lightweight laptop substitute either.

It's basically the worst of both worlds.
    But why already so negative about how the typing experience will be? Have you tried a Cosmo at least?

I'm sure the folks over at Planet Computers tested out the ergonomics, and that their first two devices had some kind of success to warrant making a third one. If the typing experience was horrendous, I doubt they'd still be in the business.

And yes, it's gonna be a compromised device but would make sense depending on the individual's use case.
    01-19-21 12:51 PM
    But why already so negative about how the typing experience will be? Have you tried a Cosmo at least?

I'm sure the folks over at Planet Computers tested out the ergonomics, and that their first two devices had some kind of success to warrant making a third one. If the typing experience was horrendous, I doubt they'd still be in the business.

And yes, it's gonna be a compromised device but would make sense depending on the individual's use case.
    As I added to my previous post:

To me, anything larger than a Passport keyboard (and I personally find that too big), is counter-productive until you get to the size of a laptop.

It's all about tight, low-thumb-travel, high-velocity typing for me. If it's not that then I'd prefer a laptop.
    01-19-21 12:56 PM
    Like everything its personal. I like the Titan keyboard because I have meat paws..................mmmmmmmm meat paws.
    Attached Thumbnails Astro Slide 5g-001.jpg   Astro Slide 5g-drooling.jpg  
    01-19-21 01:01 PM
    As I added to my previous post:

It's all about tight, low-thumb-travel, high-velocity typing for me. If it's not that then I'd prefer a laptop.
    I get your point, but the key word here is "portability".

Just like anyone can get a very decent slab AND a mini tablet for less than the cost of a Z Fold 2, the fact that the latter is also a phone that fits in your pocket is the main selling point.
    01-19-21 01:02 PM
    I get your point, but the key word here is "portability".

Just like anyone can get a very decent slab AND a mini tablet for less than the cost of a Z Fold 2, the fact that the latter is also a phone that fits in your pocket is the main selling point.
    My point is that I would rather type on glass than on that monstrosity - either opened or closed.
    01-19-21 01:27 PM
    My point is that I would rather type on glass than on that monstrosity - either opened or closed.
    That’s agreed. The coolest phones once, Tilt and Tilt 2, I bought for the horizontal PKB slide and Windows OS but with BIS also installed. It wasn’t comfortable to use. I always remember thinking I should have learned the first time.
    01-19-21 01:33 PM
    That’s agreed. The coolest phones once, Tilt and Tilt 2, I bought for the horizontal PKB slide and Windows OS but with BIS also installed. It wasn’t comfortable to use. I always remember thinking I should have learned the first time.
    And imagine typing with two thumbs on THIS thing:
    01-19-21 01:37 PM
    And imagine typing with two thumbs on THIS thing: [IMG=695x429]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210119/380ed1ef415a4957f72f9bc08622e179.jpg[/url]
    I think it was a mistake for them to show that photo as a marketing item.

It's obvious that you'd be typing on it when it's laid on a flat surface, and not just handheld. That keyboard just isn't designed for the latter.
    01-19-21 02:08 PM
    I think it was a mistake for them to show that photo as a marketing item.

It's obvious that you'd be typing on it when it's laid on a flat surface, and not just handheld. That keyboard just isn't designed for the latter.
    And how exactly would you type on it sitting on a table? You can't properly type (as in type type), and you can't properly thumb. Now what?

And, as you know, Android still requires mostly touch screen action, so how would that work sitting on a table? No mouse, no trackpad - just a screen that has to be constantly swiped and tapped.
    01-19-21 02:13 PM
    You can't properly type (as in type type)
    How the hell do you know you can't properly type on it when sitting at a desk?

Are the engineers at Planet Computers out of their minds?

If you haven't tried a Cosmo, then you can't say that.
    01-19-21 02:16 PM
    How the hell do you know you can't properly type on it when sitting at a desk?

Are the engineers at Planet Computers out of their minds?

If you haven't tried a Cosmo, then you can't say that.
    I am referring to real typing - as in 10 finger typing.

So if you can't 10 finger, or 2 thumb, what typing style do you use?
    01-19-21 02:19 PM
    I am referring to real typing - as in 10 finger typing.

So if you can't 10 finger, or 2 thumb, what typing style do you use?
    I know what you meant, and what makes you say you can't "type type" with 10 fingers properly? Just cause it's a bit downscaled compared to a traditional desktop keyboard?
    01-19-21 02:21 PM
    I know what you meant, and what makes you say you can't "type type" with 10 fingers properly? Just cause it's a bit downscaled compared to a traditional desktop keyboard?
    The laws of physics?

Turn your phone on its side and pretend. It's looney tunes.
    01-19-21 02:23 PM
    The laws of physics?
    Lol, it's okay not to always have a valid argument.

And I'm sure they also planned ahead to add some more weight to the left side of the phone to avoid having the phone wobble around while touch typing on it.

On top of that, the renders of the back show that there are 4 raised bumps with rubber so that it's not slipping around.
    01-19-21 02:26 PM
    Turn your phone on its side and pretend. It's looney tunes.
    It has a 6.4" OLED screen with some bezel up top and down bottom.

Also, the height is supposedly 164mm tall, so turning your Pixel 5 (145mm) on its side isn't really indicative of how typing on the Slide would feel.
    01-19-21 03:17 PM
31 12