ARCHOS

Does anyone here in the CB Community have the Archos 5 Internet Table W/ Android?

I'm interested in it and wanted some more feedback on it, particularly about a few features that Archos advertises.

#1 is the ability to tether the Archos to your 3G phone. Has anyone tried this with a BB or other 3G phone? Is it just for voip calls, or can you tether your phone's 3G and browse the web on the Archos via 3G?

I understand that the device doesn't run on Android completely, it's like a mix of the Archos OS paired with Android. You have no access to the Android Marketplace, but I have read rumors that Archos may strike a deal with Google/Android to change that with Android 2.0... Seems doubtful though.

I understand what this device is capable of media wise, I previously owned an Archos 605 Wifi for a short time and video recording and playback was excellent.

If the 3G questions above could be answered along with some positive feedback from people who might own the device here, I would easily drop my iPod Touch 32gb for it.

Sorry that this isn't a post about an Android phone, but I figured I should post this here because it does relate to Android in a way. If a mod feels this shoud be moved to a different sections, please do so.
    11-06-09 04:49 PM
    I am looking at this as well.

I am a bit disappointed to see it's loaded up with all the TV recording stuff... while a great feature, it really bloats the price.
    11-06-09 06:34 PM
    I am looking at this as well.

I am a bit disappointed to see it's loaded up with all the TV recording stuff... while a great feature, it really bloats the price.
    Yeah, it doesn't bother me because if I did get the device, I would get the dock for it as well. Glad to see someone finally posted back, but I guess no one here owns the device.
    11-06-09 07:12 PM
    I've been looking into this as well, Archos sais that BB just didn't implement it
    and that's it, which I think is pretty arrogant. I do use my BB with my mac without any problem though.
    As far as I can see the problem is that Archos implements pan tethering
    and BB uses dun for bluetooth tethering.

As soon as you're able to find a dun client for the Archos I think it 'll work.
    I've been looking for one, but all my search hits end up with people
    wanting their Android phone to be a dun modem.

There are pan solutions in the BB app world, but they seem to buggy or slow
    or not working at all.

pretty frustrating
    11-20-09 01:26 PM
    Check out the link below. A user was able to get his Archos 5IT (w/ Android) tethered to his Blackberry Storm. I am probably going to get one and test it out with my 9700 later this month.

Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - List of Bluetooth tethering phones that work
    01-13-10 01:17 PM
    Tether for BB and PDANet for BB and Android do PAN. Can you not use one of those?
    01-13-10 02:02 PM
    don't get me wrong here because i am all about gadgets.. but if you already own an android phone, or even storm, why would you put money here? i think it was a huge mistake for them not to put a cellular modem in this.. im all about the 5 inch screen, but i dont want to carry around another device, when will we get a large screen cell hpone with all the right hardware in it?
    01-14-10 12:03 PM
    i just got this a few days ago i just found this tread, everything works well except fo the tetering on the bb the video rocks and the wifi works but im still looking for a solution for it to get data off y 9000 it says that it can tether with the bold but i know its just a matter o time for this. i really like this device i got to for loading up some videos to watch on the go and even use google maps when walking the gps is useless without connection and please note that archos charges just about for everything even the hd codec to play 720 files. i will check the link above to see if i can get this tether to work. i really got this to replace my other sony ike once piece grabber that i use to record tv shows it holds a 16gig hc card nice and gets the shows but getting the shows in hd will be nice i will be back to post if i deicde to keep this i will let you guys know.
    02-25-10 02:18 PM
    I had tried one of these devices about a month ago, just after they launched the newest firmware. It was very stable and I added the "hack" that allows Google Maps, and the market. It works well and battery life was ok. Beautiful screen on that tablet. Nice and thin. I did spend a lot of time reading and some people have had success tethering a few BB with it. Jump over to Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Bluetooth tethering & AD-Hoc Wifi and read all about the hacks and tethering capabilities.
    Last edited by bubbarob1978; 02-25-10 at 11:53 PM. Reason: change link
    02-25-10 11:52 PM
    i found out only the storm support dun the 9700 and the 9000 dont which i got, im getting my storm in 2 days so im pleased about that, i have bin using this a lot these days and i must say, that i have learn what rim want to make the surepress its really a great idea i gave the storm 2 a spin at first i really didnt like it how the corners are and its not as flat as other touch phones are but there's a very good reason for that. I think rim did this thing really slick with out pointing out what it was really all about. I like it now, far better than the touch and slides on other products, it will be nice having my archos surf the web aside from using my storm on rainy days and if im walking it will be cool to use it with google maps. this is great. only thing i find that all rim phones should be for all carriers not like how the storm is only for verizon, which can also be used on other networks but to much hassle to get full functions working on the fly. And all these VSM loaders should be disabled as well, we should only see blackberry when our phones boot up. all the focus on the iphone with there apple logo all the time we people should stand up and demand our carriers stop editing our products and taking credit for products that they in return give us a hard time when something goes wrong. Well at lease it works on a blackberry.
    03-07-10 06:52 PM
    I'm looking into this device right now.

Is it really worth it?

Basically, I would get the archos instead of an Ipad...
    I would essentially use it is a mini laptop/netbook for school and stuff.

My main thing... is there a Microsoft word type app that works on the archos? So that I can connect a bluetooth keyboard to it and take notes on the device.

Also... how is the connection with Apple? Will I be able to set up my Archos with my iMac or MacBookPro??

Thanks for any answers!!
    04-03-10 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD