I'm currently leaving BlackBerry for Android. I've come to love my BlackBerry over the years. I'm looking forward to using the Android operating system. Below are apps I would like to have on my Droid device.

Can anyone recommend some good apps for the following?

- Notepad

- Tasks

- File Manager for SDcard (Create folders & zip files on media card)

- Profile Management (Different ringtones for different accounts)

- Keyboard with Autotext

- RSS Reader

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cdf3; 02-02-11 at 07:56 AM.
    02-02-11 01:40 AM
    If you love BB why are you switching? Just curious
    02-02-11 07:18 AM
    I'm currently leaving BlackBerry for Android. I've come to love my BlackBerry over years. I looking forward to using the Android operating system. Below are apps I would like to have on my Droid device.

Can anyone recommend some good apps for the following?

- Notepad

- Tasks

- File Manager for SDcard (Create folders & zip files on media card)

- Profile Management (Different ringtones for different accounts)

- Keyboard with Autotext

- RSS Reader

-Notepad
    notepad | All | By date, Androlib, Android Applications and Games directory

-Tasks
    SimpliTask ~ Android Application v1.0.2 By dWise Solutions & Services Pvt. Ltd. | Productivity

-File Manager for SDcard
    ASTRO File Manager ~ Android Application v2.5.2 By Metago | Productivity

-Profile Management
    Kit - Profile management ~ Android Application vBETA 1.5.6 By Team Migo | Tools

-Keyboard with auto text
    FireKeys Auto Text FREE ~ Android Application v4.25 By Keyboard Shortcuts | Productivity
    Smart Keyboard PRO ~ Android Application v3.12.0 By Dexilog, LLC | Tools
    Better Keyboard ~ Android Application vUnlock key 1.0 By Better Android | Tools

-RSS Reader
    gReader (Google Reader | RSS) ~ Android Application v2.0.4 By noinnion | News & Magazines
    FeedR News Reader ~ Android Application v2.0.31 By Weekend Coders, LLC | News & Magazines

This is, by no means, a complete list. Just a few suggestions.
    02-02-11 07:45 AM
    For your sound profile I recomend two good apps for it:

Simple Sound Profile Widget and Audio manager (this one comes in a free and paid version)

For keyboards:

The gingerbread keyboard has a good auto text feature and it is free!!

For Tasks:

There is a calander app called Jorte that has a pretty good task functionality.
    02-02-11 07:47 AM
    If you love BB why are you switching? Just curious
    In need of a better browser.

02-02-11 07:57 AM
    Does Android OS (Froyo, Gingerbread) support auto-off and auto-on like BB does?
    02-02-11 01:02 PM
    I'm thinking it does. I could be wrong. If it is there, it'll require some digging.
    02-02-11 01:38 PM
    Does Android OS (Froyo, Gingerbread) support auto-off and auto-on like BB does?
    Why would you need that feature? It's not like a BB, where you almost have to do a reboot daily to keep everything running smooth.

I put my X on the charger at night, put it on my Night profile (Quick Profiles) to silence notifications, and forget about it.

+1 for Jorte! and Astro File Manager.
    02-02-11 02:32 PM
    +1 for Quick Profiles (sound profiles).

If you aren't running Gingerbread, then there is Smart Keyboard Pro, which has autotext. Personally, I found that once I got away from the physical keyboard, I didn't miss autotext as much as I though I would. Swype has turned out to be a better input option for me, but I still do use Smart Keyboard Pro now and then.

I had my our set up to turn on the clock when charging, and go into bedside mode at night (changing the sound profile). I use the Bedside app on my SGS to get the same effect.
    02-02-11 03:43 PM
    quick profiles i think beats BB in sound support IMO
    02-02-11 04:12 PM
    Since almost all stock android apps have the profile management built into the app I dont care to bother downloading another app for profiles. I've just always used the SilentMode OnOff widget. It allows you to switch from Normal, vibrate(seems like froyo eliminated the option for vibrate mode altogether), and silent.
    02-02-11 05:21 PM
    i use Silent Time Lite to toggle between sound profiles. i mainly have my phone on normal or silent. but u can choose from vibe and silent. it lets u put in the time(s) day(s) u want it to swap. unlike bb which was either mon-fri and sat/sun. i need sun-thurs, and this app does the trick

Silent Time Lite
    02-03-11 12:05 AM
    i use Silent Time Lite to toggle between sound profiles. i mainly have my phone on normal or silent. but u can choose from vibe and silent. it lets u put in the time(s) day(s) u want it to swap. unlike bb which was either mon-fri and sat/sun. i need sun-thurs, and this app does the trick

Silent Time Lite

Never knew BlackBerry had a feature to swap times a certain times of the day. How did you do that?

02-03-11 04:44 AM
    Never knew BlackBerry had a feature to swap times a certain times of the day. How did you do that?

u cant swap the TIME on the bb. the bb has an auto ON/OFF feature. the only choices u had were on/off for mon through fri or on/off sat and sun. neither of those worked for me. i needed sun through thurs. my only option was to set an alarm for those days and power my bb off. when the time came for the alarm to sound the bb would power on. this app silent time lite gives me the same option minus having to shut my device off. i put in my times that i want it to be silent and it will silent it for me during my sleep hours.
    02-03-11 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD