Does anyone think that while there are more android apps, the quality of pre apps seems to be much better?
    Seems that many of the droid apps are pretty silly. There are useful ones, but a majority, atleast according to reviews are lousy...
    02-13-10 03:32 PM
    This is true for the iphone as well, tons of useless apps but the good apps are really bar none. Android is the same way, I have about 40 apps installed and can't live without any of em heh.
    02-13-10 03:34 PM
    frostman,

do you feel that the pre apps are just better quality?

I noticed on the palm website they are advertising nfl, assasins creed and brothers in arms and the images on the site look pretty dam good..
    I know the droid has some 3d apps as well..

Just having had the device (still do) and looking through the app catalogue , id say that while there nearly as many pre apps, the quality of them is just superior to those available for the droid..

I wonder why that is..maybe because many droid apps , since its open source, are developed by individuals and may not have the quality of a professionally developed app...i dont know..

im still trying to decide between my droid and my pre..
    I do think they are both neck and neck..comes down to personal pref
    02-13-10 03:42 PM
    Yea I believe it comes down to personal preference. My friend has a pre but not the pre plus from verizon, he is on sprint. It's a good phone and I enjoy using it. Both are very solid phones, but for myself I love a larger screen and overall the Droid seems to perform faster, and is highly customizable.

About apps I have used and compared some apps between his pre and my droid, both are pretty much just as good, but haven't had time to dig deep into all the apps available on the pre.

All in all, try both phones in store, see which one you like more, and which suits your personal preferences the most. I don't want to influence you to get the phone you don't like just because I personally like the droid more.
    02-13-10 04:04 PM
    There are a lot of nice apps for the Pre. There are a lot of nice apps for the iPhone and Android platform too, but they are hidden by the amounts of bad ones on there. You see the games for the Pre? The iPhone does them better. Android is the only one out of the 3 that doesn't really compare game wise. Other apps though are very good when comparing them across the platforms. Lots of developers port over apps from each platform.

To me, I wouldn't really be worried about the app quality because that can always get better. I would be worried about how terrible the Pre's battery life is, and how cheap the device feels. The Droid is made of metal. The Pre is made of plastic and oh boy can you tell that it is made of plastic. The iPhone is also made of plastic, but it has such a solid feel in hand that you almost can't even notice. I also believe the Pres screen is plastic? Both the Droid and iPhones are glass.

WebOS is awesome. It is very innovative and I'm sure it will really progress into something great. I just wont buy it until a device comes out that doesn't feel like the local dollar store would carry it. I know that is a little harsh, but that is my honest opinion.
    02-13-10 04:32 PM
    In terms of available apps and quality of apps, consider how long the pre has been out vs the droid...

The droid apps are progressing faster than the pre and will only get better with time. Look how long the pre has been out and its just starting to get more decent apps. Given the same amount of time the droid will be far ahead imo.

That said the apps I use on my droid now are perfectly fine, granted I don't do much gaming. When I had the pre there weren't many apps, but there were a bunch of other issues with that phone I just couldn't live with and had to go back to the storm while waiting for the droid.
    02-13-10 04:43 PM
    Seriously man, it just depends on the app. I've run into countless crappy iPhone and Pre apps. Palm is doing a bit better on the signal-to-noise ratio, but there's a few Android apps I refuse to give up now.

Remember, Palm also went through many of the same growing pains that Android is dealing with now, for starters the app2sdcard limitation. Palm figured out a way to get apps on the SD card in an amiable fashion where Google is still lost in the woods on that one.

There's a few logistics too, there is no common Android phone for a developer to work with, thus they have to maintain several different versions.

This might seem why there are cleaner apps on the Pre, but once there is a prevalent user base of Android users, and right now that looks to be the Droid, they will be catered to with higher quality apps.
    02-13-10 05:58 PM
    Playing emulated NES, SNES, GBC, and GBA games on the Droid > any of the standard Android, iPhone, and Pre games
    If you say so. Playing a multiplayer LIVE first person shooter > Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog. I'm not saying the emulators aren't fun, but to compare them with the graphics of a iPhone/Pre game is just naive.
    02-13-10 07:32 PM
    I feel you. It is all personal opinion. All I was saying that was "quality" wise, the Pre and iPhone have the "best" games right now. But when it comes to terms of fun, a simple game of solitaire might be more fun to someone than an emulator or racing game. All personal preference.
    02-14-10 09:21 AM
    This is true for the iphone as well, tons of useless apps but the good apps are really bar none. Android is the same way, I have about 40 apps installed and can't live without any of em heh.
    Yup.

I haven't really seen any of the apps on the pre but I'm pretty pleased with the ones on the Droid.
    02-14-10 01:38 PM
    How finicky is the Droid when it comes to apps?

A vzw rep told me that ,and it makes sense, droid apps being open source if written poorly can make the droid go haywire..

Which are the top ten apps most people use on this forum?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 04:03 PM
    They aren't really finicky but some apps will give you force closes a lot if they are written poorly or not designed for your device model. There are so many Android devices that the developers need to keep up with so that's the only downfall.
    02-14-10 05:23 PM
    Read a few reviews of an app before downloading it. If its rated 4-5 stars and you see good comments, then its good. If you see a low rating and users state that there FC or slow down etc etc problems then dont download

All of my apps are rated at 4-5 stars and are all quality.
    02-14-10 08:51 PM
    the Droid has 3D games with the same 3D Graphics as the pre-does.

Droid has that

As for the emulators, I personally like the capcom emulator! Capcom Vs Marvell! Super Puzzle Figher! w00t! haha.

Pre had major memory issues before too. very similar to blackberry, ran outta ram, reboot/battery pull. never had that issue with my droid.

I also have 50+ apps on here! Can't believe I ever settled for the storm and only had 5-6 3rd party apps for fear of memory!

Don't forget there's also homerun battle 3d, that you can play live on droid against people on their iphone!

Screenshot of ExZeus Arcade

HOMERUN BATTLE 3D v1.2.3 Game for Android | Arcade & Action

CPS2HD Emulator v1.7.0 Game for Android | Arcade & Action

Raging Thunder v1,0,7 Game for Android | Arcade & Action

First person Shooter 3D w/ multi-touch
    ToonWarz - LITE v1.0.7 Game for Android | Arcade & Action

Some of the BEST games don't necessarily have the best graphics...
    Tower Raiders BETA v1.14 Game for Android | Arcade & Action
    02-15-10 01:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD