I've been a BB user for years, I recently got an iPhone 5 for Apps and being able to get a good browser. Now that I have all that I hate typing on the iPhone, the keyboard is too narrow. I'm considering the Galaxy S3. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

P.S. I have a Mac and an iPad so iCloud is practical.
    12-29-12 10:01 PM
    My hubby just bought the Galaxy S3 and he is so frustrated with it ! You need two hands just to answer the silly thing. I've looked at the phone and it is awkward to use, if you're on the run forget about answering it. Surfing the net sucks because you get kicked out of the site you're on any time you want to go back a screen. When he phones home it sounds like he's calling from under the ocean. It does have a lovely big screen but that's it. To sum it up: I would never trade my Blackberry Bold 9900 for it, ever.
    12-29-12 10:17 PM
    My hubby just bought the Galaxy S3 and he is so frustrated with it ! You need two hands just to answer the silly thing. I've looked at the phone and it is awkward to use, if you're on the run forget about answering it. Surfing the net sucks because you get kicked out of the site you're on any time you want to go back a screen. When he phones home it sounds like he's calling from under the ocean. It does have a lovely big screen but that's it. To sum it up: I would never trade my Blackberry Bold 9900 for it, ever.
    Erm..that's not normal behavior for a SGS3. Two hands just to answer?? All you do is slide the green dot. The browser crashing when going back a page is not normal. I do that all the time. Call quality is below bb, but isn't that bad. Some of it might be network issues, but if there are problems with other aspects of the device it may be faulty all around. I'd definitely have your hubby exchange it. Why did you guys assume that was normal behavior given the popularity of the device?? For me it's the best device I've ever used, and I've had a fair number of them.
    AbuYazeedUK, cdf3 and HKain7 like this.
    12-30-12 12:05 PM
    Erm..that's not normal behavior for a SGS3. Two hands just to answer?? All you do is slide the green dot. The browser crashing when going back a page is not normal. I do that all the time. Call quality is below bb, but isn't that bad. Some of it might be network issues, but if there are problems with other aspects of the device it may be faulty all around. I'd definitely have your hubby exchange it. Why did you guys assume that was normal behavior given the popularity of the device?? For me it's the best device I've ever used, and I've had a fair number of them.
    Hmmm, good to know I'll let him know - I did actually suggest that he run it back to Bell but he felt he should perservere.
    Thanks
    12-30-12 12:22 PM
    Hmmm, good to know I'll let him know - I did actually suggest that he run it back to Bell but he felt he should perservere.
    Thanks
    Sure thing. I hope the replacement treats him better. Also, have him take a look at the SGS3 tips and tricks thread in this section. Lots of good info there!
    12-30-12 03:05 PM
    Sure thing. I hope the replacement treats him better. Also, have him take a look at the SGS3 tips and tricks thread in this section. Lots of good info there!
    Tips and tricks - I was looking for that - thanks again !
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-30-12 03:57 PM
    Give it a while to get used to. The iPhone can take a bit but you can type very well once you get used to it. Android has the option of Swiftkey keyboard which is really good though as well. I came from BlackBerry and did just fine with the iPhone but it took me about two weeks. I had an android in between and I like it as well but I like the iPhone's keyboard better than the android keyboard, even with swiftly.

My three friends with the galaxy S3 absolutely hate the signal quality on Verizon. I also find the screen brightness very low.
    12-30-12 04:13 PM
    Ive had bb for years 8330》9550 》9330 》9930...i got an S3 a month ago because my bold went kaputz (hardware issue). I gotta tell you, bb is gonna have to really impress me in the future for me to return.

I love everything about this device and i am a longtime bb fanboy. Still am.
    tsells and AbuYazeedUK like this.
    12-30-12 06:12 PM
    Yes almost 6 years bb. Got iPhone. That lasted less then a year hated all there rules! ITunes is garbage. Only choice was a android. I'm Happy with my phablet. Lol lg intution. Love it.
    01-01-13 09:04 PM
    Completely agree with FuzzyB. I had a 8310>9000>9800>9810>SG3. I loved the BB platform for many years and was always saying that the physical keyboard and e-mail capabilities of BB were the reason to not go Android. I got the SG3 in August and hated it for about two weeks. After learning and getting used to it, I do not feel that there is any way for me to go back to BB (even if BB10 is great). E-mail and typing on the SG3 is fantastic and there is nothing that BB currently does that the SG3 cannot do the same or better.
    Note: If you get the SG3 you need to get a better keyboard app. Swype Beta (free from the Swype Beta site) or Swiftkey Flow, or Swiftkey 3 are all fantastic, and will make your touch typing experience much better (especially if you are a one finger typer like me).
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-02-13 07:07 AM
    Get the s3 - you won't regret it. Even I get jealous and I have a Galaxy Nexus.
    01-08-13 12:22 AM
    Don't play musical phones like I did. If you liked your BlackBerry, get a new BB10 device. I am going back to BlackBerry 10 when it is released.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
    01-08-13 12:26 AM
    If I could turn back time i would switch back this android for my blackberry . LOVE BB way better!
    01-08-13 12:33 PM
    I am trying to keep an open mind about BB10 but it will take a lot to switch back. I have had just about every BB on AT&T from the 8310 to the 9900. My GS3 is my daily driver while the 9900 is for work.
    01-09-13 09:18 PM
    3 years of BB, 1 month of Iphone and jail broken and I got bored with it, sgs3 3 months but android multitasking sucks. Browser gets closed if ram gets full, if I open like 5 applications, or after a few hours. Wtf, so I'm looking forward to bb10

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    01-09-13 10:00 PM
    Having upgraded 17x since I signed up back in 2009 it's exactly how I switched.

Bold 9000
    Bold 9700
    Bold 9780
    Torch 9800
    32GB iPhone 3GS Black
    32GB iPhone 4 Black
    Google nexus S
    hTc EVO 3D
    iPhone 4S
    16GB Galaxy Note White
    16GB Galaxy S3 Pebble Blue
    16GB hTc One X 16GB White
    16GB Google nexus

64GB iPhone 5 Black. This release reminded me how Apple is starting to be like RIM. I got tired of Apple. Sold it after two weeks.

16GB Galaxy Note 2 Grey* with 64GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC. It's basically my "5.5" iPod LTE." Since I wasn't happy with Apple's new iPad mini.

16GB Samsung ATIV S. I didn't really want two Note 2's and wanted to try Windows 8. I love the OS but the lack of Apps is the reason why I sold it after 3 days.

16GB Galaxy Note 2 White*

*Own two Note 2's.
    Last edited by bembol; 01-10-13 at 01:02 AM.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    01-10-13 12:51 AM
    3 years of BB, 1 month of Iphone and jail broken and I got bored with it, sgs3 3 months but android multitasking sucks. Browser gets closed if ram gets full, if I open like 5 applications, or after a few hours. Wtf, so I'm looking forward to bb10

Just curious, how do you think Android multitasking "sucks?" I've had my browser crash a couple times but that doesn't mean RAM is full, and I've never had it close because I'm opening other apps, and when I leave it be fore a few hours it's still on the page I've left it on, along with the other tabs still holding their place.
    01-10-13 06:47 PM
    Yeah - I did. But I like trying different tech too. I'm about six months in now.

- Works (mostly) beautifully with my other Apple gear
    - The camera
    - The video games
    - iCloud integration
    - Solid OS - I don't think the device has ever 'frozen' on me outright. It can get sluggish at times, but is generally fluid. Can't say the same for my iPod Touch though ... that thing lags like no tomorrow.

So So
    - The PIM apps ... some things are original and intuitive, other things I miss
    - The browser ... iOS fans made it sound like I'd switch from my 9900 and have this glorious browser. In reality, I noticed a little bump up but not much ... at least to what they bragged about
    - The battery. They've definitely improved it a bunch since I tried out an iPhone 3G. That thing barely went to 1 in the afternoon. But the 4S still struggles to get through a day. More or less like the 9900 I had ... maybe a little less. Wasn't pleased with the 9900s battery either

Dislikes
    - The multitasking. I used that a lot on my BlackBerry, on my PlayBook and my computer. Don't like the interation on the iPhone
    - The fracken trash icon right above the Home button. Want to know how many times I've accidentally deleted emails? Grrrr!
    - Typing and autocorrect. My iPhone friends swore I'd forget all about the 9900s keyboard. Not a snowball's chance in ****. Not after 6 months is it even remotely close. Not even a little
    - The Maps app. The stupid thing almost got the iPhone thrown out of the car at 70 miles an hour.
    - The Podcast app
    - The fact that it randomly flakes on my car
    - The home button gives me trouble
    - Notifications suck on. I miss the blinking light
    - The phone seems to drop calls a fair bit
    - no removable battery
    01-10-13 07:04 PM
    Just curious, how do you think Android multitasking "sucks?" I've had my browser crash a couple times but that doesn't mean RAM is full, and I've never had it close because I'm opening other apps, and when I leave it be fore a few hours it's still on the page I've left it on, along with the other tabs still holding their place.
    What phone do you use? Try opening like 5 tabs on the browser, play games, open like 3 apps, then go back to your browser. Browser will refresh all your tabs--sucks right?

Android is power hungry needs at least 2gb ram. Plus I'm using samsung which codes aren't optimized.

01-10-13 07:51 PM
    What phone do you use? Try opening like 5 tabs on the browser, play games, open like 3 apps, then go back to your browser. Browser will refresh all your tabs--sucks right?

Android is power hungry needs at least 2gb ram. Plus I'm using samsung which codes aren't optimized.

AFAIK the browser refreshing doesn't have anything to do with how many apps or games you open before returning to the browser. It's after a specific time that the browser refreshes. You can be browsing the net and go do chores and leave the phone idle and the browser will refresh when you come back to it, same as if you've used other apps or games on the phone in the meantime.
    Greenghost likes this.
    01-12-13 09:06 AM
    I went from years of Blackberry and recently upgraded into a Samsung Galaxy S3 first and then into the Droid Razr Max and finally into the iphone 5 which is what I am carrying now. Here is my feedback:

I loved my Samsung Galaxy S3 except for the fact that when syncing up to my exchange server it would bog down and take up to 10 seconds to refresh. The phone would bog sometimes as well but that was less often. The fact that it would bog continuously while checking my email made the phone a no go for me.

The Droid Razr Max was a great device, emails worked flawlessly along with everything else on the phone. I made the mistake of upgrading the OS over the air and was one of the few that updated into battery problem. My battery would often die by 2 in the afternoon when being taken off the charger at 7 in the morning. I did endless research on the device and found the OS update was at fault. I couldn't wait for another OS to drop so I traded it in for the iphone 5.

I have been using the iphone 5 for about 3 months now and have gotten used to the keyboard and the use of the phone. I miss my indicator light on my Blackberry and the physical keyboard but I do like the app support that I have on the iphone. I don't use a bunch but the ones that I use aren't available on the Blackberry currently but I am crossing my fingers it is for 10.

Overall I have always preached Blackberry and I am going to be one of the first to get my hands on the new device when it comes out. I will support Blackberry as long as they show they are listening to the consumer and making changes where need be. (I do think they are doing this)
    01-12-13 09:50 AM
    My first BB was the Bold 9700 since then i've used the older BB's then got a 9780 then i got the 9900 then i decided to get something else (was thinking GS3) but i switched to an iPhone 4 for a while see if i could get used to the touch screen (didn't like it). Then by the time i got round to buying a GS3 the Nexus 4 was out so i got that instead, I got used to the touch keyboard almost instantly because of this Swype feature and i can say im quicker at typing on my N4 than i was on my 9900 and i was someone who hated touchscreen phones, and the smoothness of this phone is crazy no lags/freezes. I still use a 9780 for BBM i'm waiting to see what BB10 has if i aint impressed then i'll keep the Nexus 4 (and say bye bye to my BBM friends).
    01-12-13 10:40 AM
    AFAIK the browser refreshing doesn't have anything to do with how many apps or games you open before returning to the browser. It's after a specific time that the browser refreshes. You can be browsing the net and go do chores and leave the phone idle and the browser will refresh when you come back to it, same as if you've used other apps or games on the phone in the meantime.
    Yes, that's how android multitasking works. If it reached limit for memory, it will kill apps. That sucks.

In ios multitasking, it pauses the app. Hence, for browsing you can get back to your browser without refreshing.

So you're okay with browser refreshing again and again? That's annoying. And that's how android handles apps. Kinda stupid

01-13-13 12:26 AM
    The main thing that drew me to iPhone 5 over the sgs3 was the size. The i5 is just more pocket friendly. Each device has its pros and cons as well, but that was pretty much my deciding factor. Theyre both top tier phones.

I've got an original SGS running ICS as well and I love it. If the SGS3 came in the same form factor, with the same internals and maybe a slightly better screen, my decision might have been much different.
    01-13-13 08:40 AM
    Yes, that's how android multitasking works. If it reached limit for memory, it will kill apps. That sucks.

In ios multitasking, it pauses the app. Hence, for browsing you can get back to your browser without refreshing.

So you're okay with browser refreshing again and again? That's annoying. And that's how android handles apps. Kinda stupid

Of course I'm fine with my browser pages refreshing if I haven't been to them in some time. On my network or wifi it takes a second or two. Big flippin deal. You make it sound like multitasking makes the browser crash, leaving it up to you to set up your tabs again. I've had the same 4 tabs up on the browser all weekend while also listening to music, checking weather alerts and maps, surfing around the my24 app, making to do lists, and etc and have not had a single stutter or crash.
    01-13-13 09:51 AM
37 12