Hi all, so I went to verizon yesterday and it was WAY to packed to even get information. I was told about a way to get a droid (adding another line) but I was curious. How can I do this where I get a droid for $199 or $149 and still have unlimited internet/email and similar # of minutes. What will I have to do and what will I be paying? I appreciate it in advance!

Here is exactly what I have

Phones:
    Storm 1 upgrade due 07/2010
    Motorola l7c (not active, friend gave it to me)

My current plan
    5 Friends and Family #'s
    NATIONWIDE SELECT 900 $79.99 1107
    Monthly access charge: $79.99
    Monthly allowance minutes: 900 general
    Per minute rate after allowance: $0.40 peak , $0.40 off-peak
    UNLIMITED N&W MINUTES
    Included Features

Message Waiting Indicator
    No Answer/Transfer
    Call Delivery
    Call Forward - No Answer
    Friends & Family 5
    DECLINED INSURANCE
    3-Way Calling
    Call Waiting
    UNL TEXT MESSAGING

Additional Features Add/Remove Features
    How to Use Features
    Streamlined Billing
    Caller ID
    Basic Voice Mail
    IP UNRESTRICTED
    NEW EVERY TWO TIERED
    UNL PICTURE/VIDEO MSG
    INTERNATL DIALING ALLOWED
    Call Forwarding
    M2M NATIONAL UNLIMITED
    NATLACCESS ROAMING PAYU
    UNL NIGHT & WEEKEND MIN
    Email and Web for BlackBerry�

$104.32/month
    11-11-09 09:22 AM
    If you want to pursue the adding another line option it would switch you to a family share plan and it would be $9.99/mth for the line plus $29.99/mth smartphone plan (minus any discounts you qualify for) on top of the base family plan cost.
    11-11-09 09:26 AM
    I'm assuming the Storm is the main line? If you've had it a year, then you can do an annual upgrade. Otherwise you can do the above, get a dumb phone and activate it on the new line and then transfer the droid to your old line. This way you don't have 2 data packages. The closest family plan to what you have now is the 700 min family plan for 2 lines for 69.99 but has no friends and family number. They also have a 1400 plan that includes 1400min and 10 friends and family numbers for 89.99. Those prices don't include your data or texting plans.
    Last edited by PJnc284; 11-11-09 at 09:41 AM.
    11-11-09 09:31 AM
    I dont believe I can do an annual upgrade, my 2yrs is up 11/2010 but early upgrade is 7/2010.

So it will be dumb phone with my old number
    Droid will be new number

700min + data (for droid only) + unlimited texting (I think choice adds the text?)

Does this sound right? Will they give me issues? Did I miss anything?
    11-11-09 10:34 AM
    you could do it two ways. Add unlimited texting with the 700min Select plan which would be 99.99+29.99. So 129.98 before taxes or discount. Or you can add texting to just the new line($5 for 250, 10 for 500(unlimited IN), 15 for 1500(unlimited in), 20 for 5000(unlimited in). That'd be 99.98+text package.
    11-11-09 10:47 AM
    FYI if you do go to the 700min plan, you will lose your friends and family. Please, if you use them, go to the 1400min plan just so don't go over minutes on the 700 min pln thinking you still had your friends and family and then call into customer service complaining and wanting adjustments see it happen too many times.....
    11-11-09 11:16 AM
    Ok so then what do I do with the dummy phone? It has to stay active this whole time? Or could I cancel/remove it after I get my driod all setup?

I just looked over my bill and the only person I have on my friends and family is my girlfriend because she has AT&T but is switching to verizon next month so I think I might be fine with 700min only because 99% of the people I speak to have Verizon as well.

So my bill will be something like this?
    Nationwide Plus Canada Family SharePlan - 700Minutes $99.99
    Email and Web for BlackBerry $29.99/month (is it the same for the Driod $29.99 for unlimited internet/email?)
    $9.99 for additional phone

So $139.97/month? +tax
    11-11-09 12:11 PM
    The PDA/Smartphone Data add-on is just the data/email plan for non-blackberry smartphones. If the I7c from your friend is clean, you can activate that on your main line and leave it there in order to get rid of the data package from the storm. Then you'd just have the data package on the secondary line with the droid. The $99 for the family plans includes 2 lines so you wouldn't need the extra 9.99.
    11-11-09 12:30 PM
    I put a cheap flip phone on my new line, canceled my Tour off old line and added the Droid to existing number. I obviously had to get on a family plan $89.00 for 1400 some odd minutes $9.99/month new line $30.00 data plan
    11-11-09 12:37 PM
    Ok so then what do I do with the dummy phone? It has to stay active this whole time? Or could I cancel/remove it after I get my driod all setup?
    You could do that and pay the ETF that used to be $175, but I heard that pretty quick it will go up to $350 on Verizon because of people doing what you are considering. So if you're gonna do this you might want to look into that rule change fast. Verizon is really good at getting you to part with your money for new phones and services. That's why I'm no longer with them, but soon I may be back. I'll get my android phone for free from a 3rd party because I'll be a new Vzn customer (they get the best deals on phones).
    11-11-09 12:59 PM
    Hey CK and PJ so what would be my first step (first off my click on my storm is going insane again so I am having it warrantied, should I even reactivate it when I get it back?) Do I add the ghetto vanilla motorola so I have a working phone then buy a driod or how do I go about doing this without messing anything up. Because you all know if we go phoneless for anything longer then 7seconds we break out in hives
    11-11-09 01:01 PM
    You may not see that ETF increase.
    Post Tech - Update: Lawmaker to introduce bill on cancellation fees after Verizon's increase
    Lawmaker to introduce bill on cancellation fees after Verizon's increase

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) said Monday she plans to introduce legislation to keep wireless carriers from unfairly raising penalties on consumers who cancel their contracts early.

The decision comes after Verizon Wireless said last week it plans to double the early termination fees it assesses smart phone owners who ask to get out of their two-year service contracts. The new fees, which would total $350, are scheduled to go into effect Nov. 15.

Klobuchar wrote a letter to Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam Monday, telling him that the decision was "anti-consumer" and "anti-competitive." She said more and more households are relying on wireless services as they cut the cord on landline phones. Charging hundreds of dollars for leaving a contract, even if a customer moves to an area that no longer has service by their provider, hurts consumers, she said.

Wireless carriers responded last year to Klobuchar's criticism of the fees by pro-rating their penalties by the number of months served in a contract. The carriers say they try to keep customers in long-term contracts because they need to make up the costs they incur by selling phones at a steep discount.

Klobuchar also wrote a letter to Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski asking that the agency also investigate Verizon's move.
    11-11-09 01:02 PM
    Ok it seems I was misinformed a little. When I called to get a droid a week ago the lady said I am due on 11/2010 and early upgrade in july 2010. Well I was just told I hit 1 year on 11/21/2009 and I can do an early upgrade this 21st! So no crazy 2nd line needed thank god.

On a side note my storm died on me today (no bs, not good!) but I called and they are sending out a replacement, since I am getting a droid in 10 days, should I activate another phone and sell the storm unactivated or does it even matter if I sell it activated or unactivated?
    11-11-09 02:33 PM
    meth, how serious are you with this GF?

It would save her a lot of money if you add her to your plan on a share plan, instead of her getting her own plan.

Then you wouldn't have to wait till the 21st to get your Droid. Unless, your GF wants to port her number on AT&T to Verizon.
    11-11-09 02:42 PM
    Good point, I convinced her to do the quad package with verizon because she pays like $135 for TV/Inet and another $165 for ATT wireless (What a joke lol), with Verizon quad it will be $195 total.

Now I need to find a temp BB to hookup for 9 days and everyone is happy.
    I have a unactivated storm to sell
    I have my droid for $299-100 and same monthly payment
    Verizon locks me up for ANOTHER 2 years
    My GF saves $100 a month

That sounds about right lol.

now my question is do I activate the storm replacement for the 9 days or do i try to find a temp BB to hookup for 9 days and sell the storm unactivated? OR dont bother hooking up temp BB and just go 9 days with my current storm with no camera...
    11-11-09 02:47 PM
    meth, how serious are you with this GF?

It would save her a lot of money if you add her to your plan on a share plan, instead of her getting her own plan.

Then you wouldn't have to wait till the 21st to get your Droid. Unless, your GF wants to port her number on AT&T to Verizon.
    bad advice xliderider....it's a GF you NEVER do things jointly with a GF.....big arse mistake lol

GF's come and go all the time....once you cut them loose you don't want ANY strings attached.

Helll thats like marrying them : )

**damn it's all downhill from here meth. Should NEVER do those things with GF's**
    Last edited by cereal killer; 11-11-09 at 02:51 PM. Reason: can't save meth
    11-11-09 02:49 PM
    meth69, you can activate the L7c on the line for 7 days. Verizon will prorate your bill for those days that the data plan wasn't used.

cereal killer, I did ask meth69 how serious it was.
    11-11-09 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD