The reason I ask is that I have an Android problem. I know this is not the proper forum for this, but I posted my problem @ Androidcentral in their help forum & after 2 days not even 1 person replied to my question
    Galaxy tab 10.1 says Skype not Available in Canada - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I am a PROUD BlackBerry User, Beside having great productive phones, we also have a great community that is always willing to help people out. I know a lot of BB users also have android phones or tablets. Bla1ze / Chris is a great example of that.

Here is my problem:

Galaxy tab 10.1 says Skype not Available in Canada

It was my understanding that Skype works on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 & that you can use it in Canada. However whenever my friend tries to DL it, she gets a message "Not available for download in Canada"

She has tried Google Play & going to skype.com/m directly.
    Both ways she gets the "Not available for download in Canada" message.

I have had BB since B4 Android even came out so I don't have much experience dealing with Android issues....making things even harder is that I have to provide support over the phone as she's 2000 km away.

Google searches didn't didn't show any similiar issues, if there's anything anyone could suggest would be greatly appreciated

BLACKBERRY BY CHOICE
    08-21-12 03:07 PM
    I'd suggest her getting the apk file from someone who downloaded it in the US and installing it on her device in Canada
    08-21-12 03:32 PM
    I have thought of that. I have found Skype_2.8.0.920.apk
    But she is not at all computer savy. Hooking the tablet up to her computer & then sideloading it will probably be beyond her.

It will also be quite hard to talk her through as I have never done it my self.

I just don't understand why she is even getting the error to start with. Skype is available in Canada
    08-21-12 03:45 PM
    I downloaded Skype three weeks ago from GPlay. No issues to report, works like it is supposed to. Said it was compatible with my device and carrier.

Last edited by Oniberry; 08-21-12 at 03:52 PM.
    08-21-12 03:50 PM
    There is a difference between licensing a product for use on phones and licensing a product for use on Tablets.
    08-21-12 04:03 PM
    There is a difference between licensing a product for use on phones and licensing a product for use on Tablets.
    True, but I google'd it to make sure the tablet was compatible & Skype came to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 last year.

This is what I like about BlackBerry. You don't have half the confusion & fragmentation ect that you have on Android.
    08-21-12 04:29 PM
    I installed on my GTab 10.1 no problems at all.

08-21-12 04:34 PM
    But she is not at all computer savy. Hooking the tablet up to her computer & then sideloading it will probably be beyond her.

I just don't understand why she is even getting the error to start with. Skype is available in Canada
    You don't need to "sideload" Android apps really.. you just download them through the browser. If the security settings are not enabled for it, a pop-up will come up with the direction on how to enable them.
    08-21-12 04:39 PM

why would you go through all of that. just email or dropbox it to her. all you have to download/install then
    OniBerry likes this.
    08-21-12 04:40 PM
    why would you go through all of that. just email or dropbox it to her. all you have to download/install then
    ^^ That too..

Security settings still apply though for apps from "Unlnown Sources" but that's simple.
    08-21-12 04:48 PM
    that did it....thanks for all the help guys
    08-23-12 03:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD