I am in the market for a new toy, and was debating between an apple touch or one of the new android tablet. I am having a hard time deciding between the two and would like peoples input.

This will not replace my phone at all, and I plan on tethering device with my blackberry device (I know it cannot be done yet, but we all know the itouch will be jailbroken and don't know if I can do this on the tablet (can you?))

My options

A.) Ipod touch 4th generation ($299 for 32gb)

Few specs to ponder about.

- Face Time (dont really care)
    - Retina Display (really cool)
    - Hd Recording (indifferent)
    - Game Center (could come in handy)
    - A4 1ghz processor
    - Google voice + built in microphone = second phone (its alright, but bb will do the trick)

B.) Archos 7o Internet tablet ( 250gb for 349.00)

- High resolution screen, WVGA 800 x 480 pixels, 7'' TFT LCD, 16 million colors
    -Android 2.2 Froyo7
    - ARM Cortex A8 at 1 GHz with DSP
    - HDMI output

C.) Archos 101 Internet tablet (16gb for $349.00)

-same specs as above with larger screen

The main purpose of this device will befor web browsing (since bb doesnt quite do the trick for me).

Which one would you prefer? I know ipod touch would be a great device since it will be portable and a music device (but I already have a nano for an mp3 player) and the apps. As for android tablet, the froyo 2.2 web browsing should be 2x as fast as the iphone, is it true? and have a larger screen for viewing web (makes it nice, wish itouch had it) however I dont think it compares to the retina display (does it make a difference?)
    09-13-10 10:25 AM
    Interesting article I found online if anyone is considering between the two.

Electric Echoes: Apple iPod Touch 4G vs Archos 43 Internet Tablet
    09-13-10 10:54 AM
    IMHO - iTouch and rooted Android = FTW
    09-13-10 11:48 AM
    Don't choose a device, choose a network. That's as far as I care what you choose.
    09-13-10 12:16 PM
    Don't choose a device, choose a network. That's as far as I care what you choose.
    the Archos and the iPod Touch 4 are both wi-fi only devices... so um.... any network......
    09-13-10 12:24 PM
    IMHO - iTouch and rooted Android = FTW
    I cant give up my blackberry, i love BBM too much.

BB + (itouch or android) = FTW
    09-13-10 12:31 PM
    the Archos and the iPod Touch 4 are both wi-fi only devices... so um.... any network......
    Exactly...
    09-13-10 12:41 PM
    Exactly...
    so you basically have no input on this topic, besides choosing a network that has nothing to do with these devices
    09-13-10 12:47 PM
    so you basically have no input on this topic, besides choosing a network that has nothing to do with these devices
    ding ding ding ... we have a winnar ..... Sally tell them what they have won.......
    09-13-10 12:53 PM
    Think Charles...wifi only...IMO=limited. I have already stated my input. Whether you need a degree to understand how I stated it is always up for debate I couldn't resist ha ha.
    09-13-10 12:53 PM
    never does from what i've seen. think the internet world would consider him a "troll", no?
    09-13-10 12:59 PM
    Think Charles...wifi only...IMO=limited. I have already stated my input. Whether you need a degree to understand how I stated it is always up for debate I couldn't resist ha ha.
    Being that this is in the "android" section.....

Android phones are capable of being turned into a wi-fi hotspot.... with that being said ALL androids /as of current/ are 7.2Mbps capped... so 7.2Mbps download portable hot spot is "useless".... Please. i would love to hear this

.... I can cruise down I-275 doing 65MPH and turn on my wi-fi hotspot and i could /but i'm driving/ get on my netbook or my iPod touch, or my wife could get on her iPod Touch @ ~3.2Mbps download speeds and she can get ~5.3Mbps down....

how is that "pointless"....

and considering almost every major public building has open wi-fi. Stores, restaurants, libraries.... you name it.....
    09-13-10 01:04 PM
    OK slow down haters. I am not always tactful, but that is intended. I should know by now not everyone takes things as lightly as I do. I am saying "get a tablet that has network capabilities." That is what I would do. I am not God, and it is my opinion. For the chap that knows me from what he has seen, "you should be a site moderator, you are so thoughtful"
    09-13-10 01:09 PM
    I am saying "get a tablet that has network capabilities." That is what I would do.

question : what about those of us who have a rooted phone, with wi-fi tethering..... and we DO NOT want another data package.... and our current provider is proven faster than Big Red... why would i spend more money on a slower device????
    09-13-10 01:13 PM
    question : what about those of us who have a rooted phone, with wi-fi tethering..... and we DO NOT want another data package.... and our current provider is proven faster than Big Red... why would i spend more money on a slower device????
    logic and intellectual thought process seems to be beyond this guys grasp. or he's like me and speaks (writes) before he thinks. it's called foot-in-mouth syndrome.
    09-13-10 01:15 PM
    OK slow down haters. I am not always tactful, but that is intended. I should know by now not everyone takes things as lightly as I do. I am saying "get a tablet that has network capabilities." That is what I would do. I am not God, and it is my opinion. For the chap that knows me from what he has seen, "you should be a site moderator, you are so thoughtful"
    no, that's not what you said. might've been what you meant to say, through your fishing for argument style of backward and sideways talk, but you're not fooling anybody from what i can tell.
    09-13-10 01:17 PM
    logic and intellectual thought process seems to be beyond this guys grasp. or he's like me and speaks (writes) before he thinks. it's called foot-in-mouth syndrome.
    Yea. I would agree there. Apple does make nice devices, Archos makes nice devices. and when i can couple the with HSPA+ tethering they make for some wick jealous "carrier locked" people.....
    09-13-10 01:19 PM
    That is a very good point and should be considered. I am rooted but I would prefer an option to stream data via wifi or a network. I see your point and wouldn't want to pay for the extra data either. When tablets get powerful enough to do functions my computer can do, I think I would switch over to one as my primary device. I love the form factor and I would Kill my home net connection and pick up a network based one. I am waiting on LTE. Though. Now those are both great devices. I would just hold off for them to get a little more power. If you can't, then either one will work. Did someone say BB is making a tablet? Don't get that one roflmao.
    09-13-10 01:28 PM
    That is a very good point and should be considered. I am rooted but I would prefer an option to stream data via wifi or a network. I see your point and wouldn't want to pay for the extra data either. When tablets get powerful enough to do functions my computer can do, I think I would switch over to one as my primary device. I love the form factor and I would Kill my home net connection and pick up a network based one. I am waiting on LTE. Though. Now those are both great devices. I would just hold off for them to get a little more power. If you can't, then either one will work. Did someone say BB is making a tablet? Don't get that one roflmao.
    But the point you are missing is this. you originally said that you would only get on tied to a carrier. now you are switch the topic and trying to turn the tide.... wow... tis call i can say.
    09-13-10 01:32 PM
    But the point you are missing is this. you originally said that you would only get on tied to a carrier. now you are switch the topic and trying to turn the tide.... wow... tis call i can say.
    I would just choose a network first. I have apple and android products. I am sure I would choose one that works on LTE.
    09-13-10 01:39 PM
    I would be OK with USB network modem capabilities too. Good luck with you choice.
    09-13-10 01:48 PM
    Android hands down. Iphone is boring
    09-13-10 04:33 PM
    for me it comes down to size, as long as it can be considered a "handheld" item, that'd be the choice i'd opt for. i looked at the iPad and Kindle, etc, but they're all too big. if it can't fit in my pocket and affects my mobility/freedom, then i'm turning my nose up at it immediately.
    09-13-10 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD