For 'consumer' use, especially for a 17 years old, BB is a hard sell at the moment.
    BB wasn't around when I was 17, back then Nokia was all the rage and I loved the customizable aspects (for the state technology was in at the time), something I wouldn't care all that much about nowadays.
    That said, if you already have an Apple with all the apps you'd possibly want and are an avid messaging user, and all you need is a phone (not a computer, a phone) to make calls and send e-mails and texts, then Blackberry is still very hard to beat. Battery life in the Bold series is excellent (important on a night out when you don't have access to a charger) and BBM, if your friends also have it, will save you more than you've paid for it in text charges, which for someone who's 17 and texts a lot has a lot of importance.
    Don't know in the Netherlands, but in London the vast majority of young people you see on the Tube (underground) has got a Blackberry and the reason for that is BBM, coupled with a few other things like being able to survive quite a bit of abuse and being usually cheaper than an iphone on most plans from major carriers. I don't see many youngsters here with Android devices,I believe the target demographic for those is still biased towards the geekiest and late 20-early 30s with a passion for technology. Based on my interests when I was 17 (texting and girls, mainly) if someone back in the day made a phone that would do ICQ for free (that was the only messenger in use back then), I'd probably have gone for it without a second thought. Since BBM is pretty much the ICQ equivalent for modern UK teens (and BB would do MSN messenger as well, or whatsapp if your favourite girl rocks an iphone) I'd say screw megahertz, if your comms device is more likely to get you a girl, that's the best one to use at age 17. And around here, it's definitely a BB
    01-19-11 06:19 PM
    I just made the choice today to get a Bold 9780 instead of a G2 because I have an iPod Touch already and don't need another device that is all apps. It's all going to depend on what you want it for.
    I personally have seen my friends have more issues with Android phones then I have with the friends I have that have Blackberry's. Not speaking for everyone but that is what I have seen.
    01-19-11 08:45 PM
    I just made the choice today to get a Bold 9780 instead of a G2 because I have an iPod Touch already and don't need another device that is all apps. It's all going to depend on what you want it for.
    I personally have seen my friends have more issues with Android phones then I have with the friends I have that have Blackberry's. Not speaking for everyone but that is what I have seen.
    This is my consensus too. Do I think Apple makes a cool iPod touch and Macbook? absolutely. Playing on an iPod touch is fun, it has netflix, games, all kinds of stuff. But I don't want to use that sort of toy as a phone. I have a lot of friends with Android phones. My co-worker has an Evo and when we have nothing to at work a lot (often), I spend hours on that thing. Angry birds on the Evo is the best, really fun on that big screen. It has a facebook app and a twitter app, but the second I want to check either or want to type in a website for something, I go to my 9780. Sprint's 4G isn't everywhere, so the Evo's 3G is pretty much the same to me as my Bold's. All the Androids have that Google search button, and even the slightest of touches interrupts WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING and takes you to Google, which means you have to press the Back button, and if you press it too many times, you're right back out in that insane homescreen with a boatload of apps (some useful, some crap). The battery on Evos also seems to be ****. Or maybe both of my friends have just had bad ones? After about 6 hours of a few phone calls, some texts and a few rounds of Angry Birds or Teeter, their batteries are almost dead. One, who had left his Curve 8330 for the Evo, returned it to Sprint and switched into a 9330, because apparently, despite it all being Sprint, the Evo's radio never picked up reception in his room...both of the Curves, however, did.

so, to make a long story...a little bit longer, I guess if you're fine with keeping a charger around (I have other friends with the Droid X and the Incredible, and other models with superhero-like names with super awful batteries), and having a phone that's gaming & entertinment 1st and efficiency 2nd, then the Android line is right for you. And as far as some people talking about BlackBerrys being outdated the day they're released...they're not. They're just different from the Androids and iPhones, and it's actually the Androids that get "outdated" the quickest... a new Android phone will come out next week that will blow away whatever Android you buy tomorrow and will be tied to for the next 2 years.
    01-19-11 09:09 PM
    9780 FTW! Best keyboard, best battery life, lots of memory
    01-19-11 09:44 PM
    I'd go for the bb I have tried a htc desire and its not as good as the bold 9780.
    01-20-11 08:25 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD