For those thinking about jumping from BB to Android, look at what might be in store for you? There is a price to pay for being on a popular system:
    More than 50 Android apps found infected with rootkit malware | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    03-04-11 06:44 PM
    Old news and every platform has been compromised in one way or another, PLUS the issue has been addressed by Google, so whats your point?
    Ntchwaidumela and howarmat like this.
    03-04-11 06:46 PM
    Care to elaborate on the extent on how other platforms have been compromised? This issue seems fairly serious if the malware allows a phone to be taken over and contact information to be accessed.

My point??? If you read the subject I was querying if this is an Android only issue.
    03-04-11 06:49 PM
    no its not, there are BB apps that will take your contacts and start spamming them with crap. those apps are STILL in the app world market. Google has addressED the apps report in their market and removed them
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-05-11 at 12:55 AM.
    DrewDT likes this.
    03-04-11 06:53 PM
    Search JaredCo, and Whatsapp (or whatever it's called) for BB. I believe (if I remember correctly), whatsapp had access to every contact on a BB if installed. Also, there are other apps in AppWorld that if you do not set the permissions correctly, can mine data. Check the news and rumors section there is a thread going on about it.
    03-04-11 06:53 PM
    Didn't know that. I wonder if Kik was doing something similar. Thanks for the info.
    03-04-11 06:56 PM
    It might be Kik that I am talking about. I don't remember. It is one of the BBM replacement apps.
    DrewDT likes this.
    03-04-11 06:58 PM
    it makes sense, like a certain app on the weekly round up now, why would a sms backup app be free? How do they benefit? I stay away from stuff like that
    03-04-11 07:03 PM
    Both platforms can compromise your security. However as a rep for every 10 androids I handle 7 of them i am having to wipe due to downloading crap that messes up the phone. Maybe 1 out of 10 bbs ever see this issue.
    03-04-11 08:22 PM
    Both platforms can compromise your security. However as a rep for every 10 androids I handle 7 of them i am having to wipe due to downloading crap that messes up the phone. Maybe 1 out of 10 bbs ever see this issue.
    What are they downloading? Simply deleting apps should take care of somethings. If they are downloading Malware, download Lookout or whatever and remove it.
    03-04-11 08:31 PM
    I'm also curious as to what was down loaded to mess up the phone. I do know that there are a LOT of threads on this forum concerning wiping and reloading the os on a bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 09:36 PM
    I heard that JaredCo did this. I just recently downloaded a JaredCo app and immediately deleted it, but they probably had enough time to take my contact info. Boo BB for not catching this and booting them!
    03-05-11 12:54 AM
    7 out of 10? I call B.S.
    03-05-11 02:20 AM
    7 out of 10? I call B.S.
    So do I. I think that is why he hasn't responded.

03-05-11 09:23 AM
    The one report I read had Google pulling these apps within 5 minutes of being alerted of them and what they were doing. It took RIM and CB...oh wait..they STILL haven't removed JaredCo..or released any statements..

Obviously being an open platform is going to have some negative impacts. Dooshe's can release all sorts of crap that can do potential harm..however the key is to be aware of what you're downloading..and don't download crap just because you can.

Hopefully we get some type of regulation in place for policing of apps. I like open..but not at the expense of someone hacking bank info or something along those lines.
    03-05-11 09:57 AM
    7 out of 10? I call B.S.
    Yea..i'm sure I read somewhere that the number of Android phones found with malware of somesort has increased from 4 out of 100..to something like 8 out of 100. I'll try to find the link again if I can..but 8% of phones vs 70% like Bengal is saying is a big difference..
    03-05-11 09:59 AM
    So do I. I think that is why he hasn't responded.

He never responds. He pops into an Android discussion, makes a comment about how terrible and inferior Android is to BlackBerry and then never returns to the discussion once he is called out on it.

Look through his posts, he is nothing more than a BlackBerry fanboy who believes his 9650 is superior in every way to the iPhone and Android platforms.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-05-11 11:48 AM
    He never responds. He pops into an Android discussion, makes a comment about how terrible and inferior Android is to BlackBerry and then never returns to the discussion once he is called out on it.

Look through his posts, he is nothing more than a BlackBerry fanboy who believes his 9650 is superior in every way to the iPhone and Android platforms.
    What is really funny is that he gets so b*** hurt when anyone talks down bb and is pi***d off that they are in a bb thread, try he bothers himself to post in the android forum.

03-05-11 01:05 PM
    What is really funny is that he gets so b*** hurt when anyone talks down bb and is pi***d off that they are in a bb thread, try he bothers himself to post in the android forum.

I think he and others like him just get so infuriated by the fact that we're here that he salivates at every opportunity to try bashing us in order to make himself feel better about what he uses.

These folks use false information and smear tactics against us, while we're just honest about the other devices.

Oh well I guess.
    K Bear likes this.
    03-06-11 07:44 AM
    It was Kik that had the privacy concerns. I don't think Kik actually did anything with the data, but it was a violation of the privacy TOS. I think they were working on a fix for it when RIM locked them out of the BB platform. I've heard enough from others about JaredCo to not download any of their apps.

iPhone had the security breach that was brought to their attention (SMS message gaining access to the entire phone) and they didn't acknowledge it, although an update came out about a month or so later.

Although one developer took advantage of the open Android platform, it was shut down pretty quickly. Plus, any devices running 2.2.2+ were not affected, since they already have security measures in place. Google has already been working on fixes for other versions.
    03-08-11 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD