Having a little extra change in my pocket due to a pretty big sale, I found a Droid Eris for about $60 and bought it, I am one of those idiots who has both an AT&T and Verizon account (the Verizon is for work and the AT&T for personal use), and the Storm 2 I had on Verizon was driving me nuts since I obtained the Torch, so I thought trying the Eris would be a good experiment.

The Eris I bought was barely two months new and the guy warned me that he had a Torch and I would see the difference. I've had some experience with Android devices through my son who has a Drlid X, but it was the first time I had hands-on experience. I am very disappointed. What in the world has made this such a sought after phone? I have no idea.

The Eris is a nice size with a nice screen. That's about it. Maybe I'm a businessman and need my email to be all in one place (I have 4 addresses), but it was a pain seeing my Torch get emails instantaneously and waiting for a minute or so for the Eris to catch up. The Torch screen is better (even better than the Droid X), and the screen is more responsibe. The Android marketplace is filled with apps, but trying to find that unique app (WVU fight song or Cincinnati Reds wallpaper) is just as frustrating as on BB's App World. Add that to the camera (5MP) that is not only non-responsive, but takes lousy pictures (mush worse than my old 3.2 MP Bold or my Storm 2) and I have to wonder what is all the excitement? Oh yeah. The virtual keyboard sucks.

Having a iPod Touch and my son having the new generation (which I think is based on the iPhome 4), all I can see is applications. Kid stuff. And hype.

The Torch is a wonderful phone--the best I've ever had. There is nothing that the Android and Apple phones can do (outside of all those things that kids like and old men like me can do without).

BTW, the Eris battery lasted a grand total of 15 hours before it pooped out today. My son's X usually gets about the same. My Torch, which has taken 20 phone calls today and heavy web usage following the baseball playoffs still has 50% battery.

What is the big deal?
    10-08-10 12:03 AM
    I'm in the same boat. i've got my torch, i've used i4's - and I see no "benefit" from the iphone. I get my rock solid software and hardware with the torch - and i love it.

to date - i'm still claiming best phone i ever got.

Now if i could get wifi sync'ing of my mp3's...that'd be gravy
    10-08-10 07:32 AM
    I really like the Torch too, and after three years with iPhones and Android, I don't miss them. At the same time, I acknowledge that without the iPhone there would be no Android. There would be no Torch. There would be Nokia S60 and Windows.
    10-08-10 10:40 AM
    Having a little extra change in my pocket due to a pretty big sale, I found a Droid Eris for about $60 and bought it, I am one of those idiots who has both an AT&T and Verizon account (the Verizon is for work and the AT&T for personal use), and the Storm 2 I had on Verizon was driving me nuts since I obtained the Torch, so I thought trying the Eris would be a good experiment.

The Eris I bought was barely two months new and the guy warned me that he had a Torch and I would see the difference. I've had some experience with Android devices through my son who has a Drlid X, but it was the first time I had hands-on experience. I am very disappointed. What in the world has made this such a sought after phone? I have no idea.

The Eris is a nice size with a nice screen. That's about it. Maybe I'm a businessman and need my email to be all in one place (I have 4 addresses), but it was a pain seeing my Torch get emails instantaneously and waiting for a minute or so for the Eris to catch up. The Torch screen is better (even better than the Droid X), and the screen is more responsibe. The Android marketplace is filled with apps, but trying to find that unique app (WVU fight song or Cincinnati Reds wallpaper) is just as frustrating as on BB's App World. Add that to the camera (5MP) that is not only non-responsive, but takes lousy pictures (mush worse than my old 3.2 MP Bold or my Storm 2) and I have to wonder what is all the excitement? Oh yeah. The virtual keyboard sucks.

Having a iPod Touch and my son having the new generation (which I think is based on the iPhome 4), all I can see is applications. Kid stuff. And hype.

The Torch is a wonderful phone--the best I've ever had. There is nothing that the Android and Apple phones can do (outside of all those things that kids like and old men like me can do without).

BTW, the Eris battery lasted a grand total of 15 hours before it pooped out today. My son's X usually gets about the same. My Torch, which has taken 20 phone calls today and heavy web usage following the baseball playoffs still has 50% battery.

What is the big deal?
    ^^^You can get instant email on both iphone and android devices. I think the file management system, and notification system on BB's is a lot better than apple's and android's platform. I agree with you about the app stores being filled with a lot of junk...if you are a business user you will find that the apps that target business users are a superior on apple and android...I think having the option to video chat with a spouse/child/love one is pretty cool also...Virtual Keyboard is more so user preference....I like surepress(hate the clicking sound), and i also like the iphone's keyboard.....
    10-08-10 11:45 AM
    Android isn't for everyone.

And the Torch screen is awful compared to the X...or most any phone out there. It's the only bad thing I noticed about the phone when I used one.
    10-08-10 11:57 AM
    ...And the Torch screen is awful compared to the X...
    ...unless you want to be able to comfortably put your cell phone in your pocket. That thing is way too big for a phone.
    10-08-10 12:52 PM
    Android isn't for everyone.

And the Torch screen is awful compared to the X...or most any phone out there. It's the only bad thing I noticed about the phone when I used one.
    Not as good as others, yes. Bad? Not at all IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 01:32 PM
    Very, very far from awful...

The screen is great and the OS works excellent at the resolution, which it was obviously designed for.

The only real benefit would be more real estate for web browsing (which is part of the reason that BB6's auto word wrap + text re-rendering is nice)... Also going down from a 4.3" display to a 3.2", the pixel loss isn't exactly 1:1 visually...
    10-08-10 01:38 PM
    all the iphone is: electronic babysitter , for the young and old. i have 10 friends with an iphone who rave day a night about it. i have 250 bbm contacts and many more bb friends who simply will never switch. i will put up with the random lag (wifi sync smh) because the torch is a PHONE not a baby sitter. each one of my iphone buddies have one vocal defence "look at the apps" sure the apps are great but can u make a call without a rubber case NO! i love the ipod touch so i bought one cuz its better than the iphone will never in my life get a iphone. blackberry owns all other companies when it comes to syncing cant be touched
    10-08-10 01:49 PM
    That phrase "Android is not for everyone" is one that I keep hearing....what exactly does that mean?!?!

10-08-10 01:56 PM
    ...unless you want to be able to comfortably put your cell phone in your pocket. That thing is way too big for a phone.
    Yeah the size itself is a matter of personal taste. He was referring to the resolution and the responsiveness of the touchscreen, in both categories the X has the advantage.

Not trying to say the Torch is a piece or anything, I like the phone a lot, but there are just some things that are objective not subjective, and the screen quality is one of them.
    10-08-10 04:26 PM
    That phrase "Android is not for everyone" is one that I keep hearing....what exactly does that mean?!?!

It means the same as the following:

"The iPhone isn't for everyone."
    "Blackberries aren't for everyone."

Everyone has something they'd ideally like a phone to do and a budget they'd like to stay within, each platform has its advantages and disadvantages. Folks, hopefully, pick the platform where they find the most advantages that fit their needs and wants.
    10-08-10 04:27 PM
    Lol @ electronic baby sitter....what does that mean?
    10-08-10 04:29 PM
    Very, very far from awful...

The screen is great and the OS works excellent at the resolution, which it was obviously designed for.

The only real benefit would be more real estate for web browsing (which is part of the reason that BB6's auto word wrap + text re-rendering is nice)... Also going down from a 4.3" display to a 3.2", the pixel loss isn't exactly 1:1 visually...
    Yeah I guess awful was a poor choice of words. I just hoped for a slightly sharper screen, but there's always that trade off, higher resolution = shorter battery life.

I, personally, get sent lots of videos and take lots of short videos on my phone, I personally like the screen because viewing photos and videos are incredibly nice on it, plus it has DLNA so I can display/play them on my HDTV if I'm nearby.
    10-08-10 04:29 PM

It means technology isn't for everyone.
    10-08-10 04:30 PM
    It means technology isn't for everyone.
    Have friends isn't for everyone either. It's ok Tucker.
    10-08-10 04:44 PM

What is the big deal?
    The only person you're BS'ing is yourself !!!!! If you have Blackberry and like it stick to it but you know damn well BB doesn't offer anywhere close to the speed or app availability that Apple or Google offers so stop it please.
    10-08-10 05:47 PM
    The entire argument is subjective. My preferences make the Torch my ideal phone. My family, however, love toys that can make phone calls (aka the iPhone). My best friend loves to watch movies on his big screen Android based phone. They each have their positives and negatives. Gotta' love the American marketplace!

10-08-10 05:53 PM
    The entire argument is subjective. My preferences make the Torch my ideal phone. My family, however, love toys that can make phone calls (aka the iPhone). My best friend loves to watch movies on his big screen Android based phone. They each have their positives and negatives. Gotta' love the American marketplace!

Well, "make phone calls" is kinda subjective in that case...
    10-08-10 06:04 PM
    What kind of pants does he wear that putting a phone in his pocket is not comfortable?

10-08-10 06:12 PM

^^^Please tell me why the iphone is considered a toy?
    10-08-10 06:22 PM
    What kind of pants does he wear that putting a phone in his pocket is not comfortable?

Probably those feminine skinny jeans these kids wear now.
    10-08-10 08:35 PM
    ^^^Please tell me why the iphone is considered a toy?

No particular reason...
    10-08-10 08:38 PM

No particular reason...
    LMAO!

10 Characters
    10-08-10 08:51 PM

No particular reason...
    ^^^lol...you're joking right.....just because developers are choosing apple and android over BB's that doesn't make them toys(if anything it tells you what a lot of developers think about R.I.M).....try harder....The iphone is far from a toy....I'm just as productive on my I4....Besides Retina display> Cataract display....
    10-08-10 08:51 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD