View Poll Results: How do you feel about Android gathering location data?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • eh, doesn't bother me at all

7 50.00%
  • I wish they didn't but I'll live with because of Android

1 7.14%
  • What am I going to do, go back to blackberry? Yeah right!

5 35.71%
  • It does bother me a lot

3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Apparently, Android also gathers our location data like the iOS report from a couple days ago. To be honest, I'm not even surprised especially because it's Google. They make money from knowing their users. Expected from an advertising company. What do you think? Do you care?
    04-22-11 12:24 PM
    i thought it was known that google did this honesly. Any phone that has apps that use GPS software for location have data collected. To what extinct this is used i cant say. it doenst bother though since i have nothing to hide. im not dumping bodies out in the middle of a field somewhere.
    04-22-11 12:35 PM
    It probably should bother me, but I'm just not a very cautious person. Nor am I someone who does anything that I fear being tracked by anyone. You wana follow me to my home, work, and girlfriends... sh!t, go right on ahead. Come meet me at Crazy Sushi and we'll grab some bulgogi and tempura rolls.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-22-11 12:38 PM
    i thought it was known that google did this honesly. Any phone that has apps that use GPS software for location have data collected. To what extinct this is used i cant say. it doenst bother though since i have nothing to hide. im not dumping bodies out in the middle of a field somewhere.
    He!l Matt, no worries there man. I just leave my phone at home when I'm droppin' doughnuts off the Broadway! Pick up a burner for those situations, ya dig?!?
    04-22-11 12:47 PM
    I really thought this has been known for a while.
    04-22-11 12:53 PM
    It has, some people are just slow to the table... if you catch my drift.
    04-22-11 12:58 PM
    Yeah I thought it was a given. But apparently it hasn't been really proven until now.

And I agree, it doesn't really bother me.
    04-22-11 01:11 PM
    This **** just gets old. All of them are doing it. Do I agree with it? No. Am I going to boycott the platforms I enjoy to use, and use the one I can't stand? Absolutely not.
    04-22-11 01:39 PM
    Does bb do this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 01:52 PM
    Does bb do this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ideally a 3rd party app could if you allowed the permissions, but the OS and native apps do not store it on it's own.

One thing I miss on Android compared to BB is the ability to restrict and control specific permissions per application...
    04-22-11 02:20 PM
    im sure lookout or other security software that has remote lock/wipe/find capabilities could very well have a database full of your movement if they wanted. You allow them permissions to collect all the data they need
    04-22-11 02:30 PM
    im sure lookout or other security software that has remote lock/wipe/find capabilities could very well have a database full of your movement if they wanted. You allow them permissions to collect all the data they need
    Exactly. I use the Find My iPhone service. I'm sure they always know where I am anyways.
    04-22-11 03:35 PM
    Problem is you have to verify they actually store all of the information. Typically remote location only finds the current location of the device or the last known location (there is no actual need to store all of the information, which is the entire problem in the first place).
    04-22-11 03:44 PM
    Googles response...

All location sharing on Android is opt-in by the user. We provide users with notice and control over the collection, sharing and use of location in order to provide a better mobile experience on Android devices. Any location data that is sent back to Google location servers is anonymized and is not tied or traceable to a specific user.
    Google: Android location tracking is opt-in | BGR
    04-22-11 03:44 PM
    Doesn't bother me, especially since it is opt-in, and not permanently on the phone, like the iPhone has currently.

Apparently, it was reported to be a "bug" on the iPhone, and wasn't supposed to keep the data forever. Oops....
    04-22-11 04:29 PM
    damn i completely forgot about that checkmark....but yeah that makes all the sense in the world. they are upfront about it
    04-22-11 05:01 PM
    ****, when you load Google.com it prompts you to opt to share your location. Anyone who says they didn't know when you're clearly prompt is a liar.
    04-22-11 11:30 PM
    The issue isn't that your phone tracks where you are and provides that information for ads, marketing etc... all smartphones with gps or radio location services does that. Even BB's. It's nothing new. It's up to you as the user whether or not to maintain location aware services.

The recent issue with iOS is that it maintains a running log (that apparently keeps the log entries for up to a year) that is in a plain ascii/txt format without any encryption. So anybody could write an app that can read and understand that information.

Basically the same oversight/screwup that Skype had with its database and their Android app.
    04-22-11 11:45 PM
    Locations have always been gathered by Cellphone Providers. Law Enforcement needs a subpoena to get any of the info, and its a hassle having to deal with legal departments for most carriers. The issue with iOS is that Apple is collecting this data. There is software, that when installed on a PC will push all of your location data, call logs, you name it, right into iTunes and its not encrypted.

For the people who don't care, well you should. Part of the problem, especially with the 20 somethings, no offense, is that they just don't care about stuff because they think it doesn't effect them. If you allow the Government to take away the 4th Amendment, you'll never get it back, so you should care.

Whether you have nothing to hide is irrelevant. Our constitutional rights are being breached more and more, and people just don't give a crap.
    04-23-11 12:27 AM
    How some of the people posting here seemed to completely miss what the problem even was is beyond me...
    04-23-11 02:01 AM
    How some of the people posting here seemed to completely miss what the problem even was is beyond me...
    Its one of the main reasons that I fear that these people will be running the country someday.
    04-23-11 02:41 AM
    By that time they will no longer be under the influence long enough to be able to really understand all the ramifications.
    I was concerned until I verified what I'd set on my device.
    This is the reason I don't use apps such as Loopt nor do I "check in" on Facebook in my BBerries.
    04-23-11 06:44 AM
    The issue isn't that your phone tracks where you are and provides that information for ads, marketing etc... all smartphones with gps or radio location services does that. Even BB's. It's nothing new. It's up to you as the user whether or not to maintain location aware services.

The recent issue with iOS is that it maintains a running log (that apparently keeps the log entries for up to a year) that is in a plain ascii/txt format without any encryption. So anybody could write an app that can read and understand that information.

Basically the same oversight/screwup that Skype had with its database and their Android app.
    Thank you! With android it comes up plain as day in your face and informs the user. With IOS its more subtle and the nature of the info and how it's gathered is more shady. So no it's not exactly the same.
    K Bear likes this.
    04-23-11 08:35 AM
    Locations have always been gathered by Cellphone Providers. Law Enforcement needs a subpoena to get any of the info, and its a hassle having to deal with legal departments for most carriers. The issue with iOS is that Apple is collecting this data. There is software, that when installed on a PC will push all of your location data, call logs, you name it, right into iTunes and its not encrypted.

For the people who don't care, well you should. Part of the problem, especially with the 20 somethings, no offense, is that they just don't care about stuff because they think it doesn't effect them. If you allow the Government to take away the 4th Amendment, you'll never get it back, so you should care.

Whether you have nothing to hide is irrelevant. Our constitutional rights are being breached more and more, and people just don't give a crap.
    Why bother when we have folks like you to look after us...

You're just another form of government telling people what they should do any why, instead of letting them decide for themselves.

You boast freedom then chastise those that choose to exercise it in a way that opposes your point of view.

The apathetic rarely have the ambition it takes to get into government, so put your fears to bed, and give the preaching a rest.

I wake; I breathe; I eat; I sleep, the rest is just filler. If people want to track me and create codes to see where I've been then let it be known to the world. Let them follow l'il ol' BeyondTheBoxy around all inconspicuous-like and provide me these impending-doom advertisements. They've got until 12/21/2012 do have their fun!
    04-23-11 12:17 PM
    This isn't a social or morality argument.

The apps do not need to collect all of the location data and archive it. That's it. End of story.
    04-23-11 03:44 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD