Below are for my "Motorola Droid", may work for other android devices.

Thought this might be a useful thread for hidden or little known tips or tricks that you have discovered about your droid.

*This thread is for posting tips and tricks for you to share with other forum members, PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS.

Got this idea from other forum so I thought I would make one here.

If you slide the bottom tabs to left or right you can hade 5 more icons on the bottom. Only on dxTop Home Replacements.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

before you pay for such services you should try to set up your Yahoo account via IMAP following the next steps:

- Go to mail icon
    - Add account
    - Enter email address in email address filed ([email protected])
    - Enter password at password field
    - Select MANUAL SETUP not next
    - Select IMAP
    * username= [email protected]
    * password = yourpassword
    * IMAP server= imap.mail.yahoo.com
    * port = 143
    * security = none
    * optional = blank
    - Select NEXT

You will then be prompted to sign in do so.

Will then be taken to the SMPTP settings which only prompts (going form memory) you for address which is smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com. leave the port as is. Then select NEXT. Sign in. Name your account and that’s it.

Special thanks to: JRSCCivic98 and to muddy00.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~The unit won't stay off during charging....

~~~it's a proximity sensor that turns the screen black (during call, etc.)

~~~When typing on the virtual keyboard you can swipe down to make the keyboard go away.

~~~from your home screen, press menu, then settings, then go to 'About phone'
    --> Status: i like that it shows you how much battery life you have left in percentage
    --> Battery use: Cool way to keep track of what is killing your battery

~~~Settings >> Applications >> Development >> Stay Awake (keeps screen on while charging)

~~~I like that the search/home buttons have separate "long press" functions.
    long press on Home gives you a list of running (or recently running) apps, and long press on Search brings up your voice search.

~~~The Droid doesn't have a speed dial list. Instead it has a favorites list. To add a contact to the favorites list:
    Go to contacts and touch the star in the upper right hand corner. When it is lit up, the contact is now part of your favorites list.

~~~If you want to add custom notification ringtones for your emails, sms/mms, ect., plug your Droid into your computer, access the SD card, create a new folder on the card called "notifications", and drop the ringtones you want to use into the folder. When the phone is unplugged from the computer, the Droid will be able to use the new tones.

~~~~To watch youtube videos in High Quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality

~~~~~you can also add the contact on your home screen by touching on the home screen and hold then a menu will pop up click shortcuts then pick a contact from there works great

~~~~Maybe a known step but took me a while to figure it out. While on the web, if you wanna save a picture (for wallpaper purposes or whatever). You have to hold your finger over the picture and the "save picture" message will come up.

~~~~On the virtual keyboards if you long press any button with "..." next to the letter or number it will bring up another list of options.

~~~~save album art images for music as folder.jpg to keep them from showing up in your gallery. also store mp3 ringtones in: /sdcard/media/ringtones to keep them from showing up in your music database.

~~~~Keyboard shortcuts:
    go to Settings > Applications > Quick Launch to view and set keyboard shortcuts.

~~~~just discovered you can use the barcode app to share contacts, bookmarks, etc...
    open Barcode, press menu button, select share
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

add yours
    Last edited by dukins; 11-25-09 at 01:49 PM.
    11-25-09 01:25 PM
    - The Droid doesn't have a speed dial list. Instead it has a favorites list. To add a contact to the favorites list:
    Go to contacts and touch the star in the upper right hand corner. When it is lit up, the contact is now part of your favorites list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - If you want to add custom notification ringtones for your emails, sms/mms, ect., plug your Droid into your computer, access the SD card, create a new folder on the card called "notifications", and drop the ringtones you want to use into the folder. When the phone is unplugged from the computer, the Droid will be able to use the new tones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - To watch youtube videos in High Quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality
    Last edited by dukins; 11-25-09 at 01:46 PM.
    11-25-09 01:26 PM
    Sticky Please
    11-25-09 01:34 PM
    Sticky in the droid forum not here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 01:36 PM
    On the virtual keyboards if you long press any button with "..." next to the letter or number it will bring up another list of options.

for example a long press on the "1" key will bring up options for "1 , 1/2. 1/3, 1/4, 1/8" or a long press on the smiley face will bring up other face options, there are many of these "..." keys
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

save album art images for music as folder.jpg to keep them from showing up in your gallery. also store mp3 ringtones in: /sdcard/media/ringtones to keep them from showing up in your music database.

Keyboard shortcuts:
    go to Settings > Applications > Quick Launch to view and set keyboard shortcuts.

Menu Shortcuts:
    Add(home screen) - menu+a
    Wallpaper(home screen) - menu+w
    Notifications - menu+n
    Settings - menu+p
    Search - menu+s
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

To forward a text message press and hold the screen on the text message to bring up options lock message, forward, delete, copy, or call contact.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

holding home shows ur 6 last apps

If your using Handcent than holding the search button will be allow you to use quick reply with voice if you have it enabled in your handcent in addition to google voice search. You can also choose it to be your default action when holding the search key if you like and your like me who finds the google search widget just as handy as holding search.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get into the programming menu, from the call screen, enter ##PROGRAM and press send. Enter code 000000.

In option 04, you can change the vocode option to EVRC-B, or 13K, it made my in-call audio sound better. I'm currently using the 13K setting. Your phone will reset after you exit and apply the new setting.

Warning: Be careful what options you change in the programming menu, you could potentially brick your phone.

Edit: Forgot to give the code of 000000 to enter at activation screen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to make direction shortcuts

Long Press on an empty spot on your home... and create a new folder..

Open "Folder" and Long Press on the top frame of that window. Rename it name it to whatever you wish.

Now go back to home and Long Press on an empty space. Select Shortcuts. Scroll down to Directions. Fill out the boxes with your destination address, choose mode of transit, give it a name, select an icon, and press Save.

A new icon will appear on your desktop.. named whatever you called it in the previous menu... Just move it to your new folder, viola.. one touch directions...

Home, Work, Liquor Store...

I'm sure you have found this...but when you're using the physical keyboard you can hold alt+dpad to jump all the way to the left/right/etc. Also alt+del = delete all text you've written. You can also click shift then alt+dpad to highlight all text.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to add custom alarm ringtones for your alarm notification "alarm clock" plug your Droid into your computer, access the SD card, create a new folder on the card called "alarms", and drop the ringtones you want to use into the folder. When the phone is unplugged from the computer, the Droid will be able to use the alarm new tones.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been suggested to set-up the card with the following structure:

/Media
    Alarms (Folder in Media)
    Ringtones (Folder in Media)
    Notifications (Folder in Media)
    /Music
    /Pictures
    /Videos

Where the Ringtones and Notifications can have duplicate files if you want.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Longpress on a blank area of the screen, select widgets>>picture frame. It lets you grab a picture from your gallery and place it on your scree, however it takes up 2 buttons worth of real estate, but it's a moveable picture.

When doing the *228 programming, you can dial *22899 and it will automagically do both the 1 and 2 keypress options.

You can easily add words to your dictionary while typing by long pressing on the word from the suggestion bar over your virtual keyboard.

First type the word as you want it to show, then execute a long press on the word in the 'word suggestion bar' next to the suggested words that highlight in bold orange... this long press will automatically save it to your dictionary.

If you add a word by accident, you can remove it by going to Settings ==> Language & keyboard ==> User dictionary, scroll down to find the word you input, select it, then press Delete.
    11-25-09 01:44 PM
    In addition to putting a contact on your home screen as indicated above, you can also set it up to dial a contact directly. Long touch on the home screen. A menu will pop up, click shortcuts and choose "direct dial" then pick a contact.
    11-25-09 01:45 PM
    Douple tap the ALT key to enable number lock. Double tap the shift key to enable caps lock.
    11-25-09 02:25 PM
    Awesome thread....good info....should be stickied for now since the phone is so new?
    11-25-09 02:28 PM
    New batteries are not fully charged. Plug the battery charger into your phone and an electrical outlet. Your phone might take several seconds to start charging the battery.

Tips:

•It may take several charging cycles for your battery to reach optimum performance.

•The battery charger shipped with this device is a high rate charger specifically designed for your DROID.

Other chargers might take longer to charge your battery, cause your calls to fail during charging, or cause your phone to continuously power cycle.

•You can charge your phone via USB cable but this charging time will vary based on computer specifications.

If battery is low, your phone will not immediately power up when you connect it to a computer via USB. Depending on how low the battery is, it may take up to 30 minutes for the phone to get enough power to powerup.

There are two built in tools to assist you in optimizing battery life.

1. Power control widget

The Power Control Widget gives you a quick snapshot of some of the tools that may be draining your battery. The widget provides information on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Location (GPS), Synchronization, and Display

To add the Power control widget:
    From the home screen, touch Menu > Add > Widgets > Power Control

2. Battery Use Feature

The Battery Use feature provides you with a real time view of what features or applications are using the highest percentage of your battery. It also provides tips on modifying these features or applications.

To access Battery Use:
    From the home screen, touch Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery use

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tips to extend battery life:

•Select a shorter backlight duration
    •Lower the display brightness
    •Use the AC adapter to charge your phone whenever possible
    •Turn Bluetooth off when not in use
    •Turn Wi-Fi off when not in use
    •Close any third party applications running in the background
    •Playing music, videos and viewing images in your phone will affect your battery life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Battery use & safety

•Motorola recommends you always use Motorola-branded batteries and chargers. The warranty does not cover damage caused by non-Motorola batteries and/or chargers.

Caution: Use of an unqualified battery or charger may present a risk of fire, explosion, leakage, or other hazard. Improper battery use, or use of a damaged battery, may result in a fire, explosion, or other hazard.

•Your battery can be charged without it being fully depleted, and can be charged every day if desired.

•Battery usage by children should be supervised.

•Important: Motorola mobile devices are designed to work best with qualified batteries. If you see a message on your display such as Invalid Battery, Invalid Charger or Unable to Charge, take the following steps:

•Remove the battery and inspect it to confirm that it bears a Motorola "Original Equipment" hologram;
    •If there is no hologram, the battery is not a qualified battery
    •If there is a hologram, replace the battery and retry charging it
    •If the message remains, contact a Motorola Authorized Service Center

•New batteries or batteries stored for a long time may take more time to charge.

•Charging precautions: When charging your battery, keep it near room temperature. Never expose batteries to temperatures below 0�C (32�F) or above 45�C (113�F) when charging. Always take your mobile device with you when you leave your vehicle

•When storing your battery, keep it in a cool, dry place.

•It is normal over time for battery life to decrease, and for the battery to exhibit shorter runtime between charges or require more frequent or longer charging times. Motorola batteries are designed to last between 350-700 charge/discharge cycles at room temperature. This amounts to approximately a year to a year and a half of battery use for most people.

•Avoid damage to battery and mobile device. Do not disassemble, open, crush, bend, deform, puncture, shred, or submerge the battery or mobile device. Avoid dropping the battery or mobile device, especially on a hard surface. If your battery or mobile device has been subjected to such damage, take it to a local service center before using. Do not attempt to dry it with an appliance or heat source, such as a hair dryer or microwave oven.

•Use care when handling a charged battery-particularly when placing it inside a pocket, purse, or other container with metal objects. Contact with metal objects (such as jewelry, keys, beaded chains) could complete an electrical circuit (short circuit), causing the battery to become very hot, which could cause damage or injury.
    Motorola.com
    11-25-09 02:38 PM
    Sticky This
    11-25-09 02:43 PM
    Access a whole keyboard's worth of extra symbols on your virtual keyboards by pressing the shift key while in the ?123 screen.

Last edited by xliderider; 11-25-09 at 03:40 PM.
    11-25-09 02:53 PM
    Sticky in the droid forum not here.

What "Droid Forum" ? If you mean androidforums central than thats an entirely different website not this one. Don't hate sprint user
    11-25-09 03:16 PM
    -
    - To watch youtube videos in High Quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality
    Is there a way to set up my droid to where it will automatically will play vids on youtube in high resolution instead of manually doing it to every vid? When i play youtube vids on my droid via wifi, it will automatically do it, but not when i play them through 3g. I think it does it automatically via wifi because it detects that wifi speeds are faster, is that correct?
    11-25-09 03:56 PM
    Is there a way to set up my droid to where it will automatically will play vids on youtube in high resolution instead of manually doing it to every vid? When i play youtube vids on my droid via wifi, it will automatically do it, but not when i play them through 3g. I think it does it automatically via wifi because it detects that wifi speeds are faster, is that correct?
    It should default to high quality when you're on wifi, but cannot be set as default on 3G (probably to conserve network bandwidth).
    11-25-09 04:46 PM
    I figured this one out on my own before I saw anyone mention it on a forum, I was so proud of myself.

On your lock screen slide the bar from right to left and you put the phone into silent mode.
    11-25-09 10:36 PM
    When you have an incoming call, you can also swipe/rotate the lock screen from left to right to ignore the call.

I figured this one out on my own before I saw anyone mention it on a forum, I was so proud of myself.

On your lock screen slide the bar from right to left and you put the phone into silent mode.
    11-25-09 10:56 PM

But if you have pattern lock this will not work.

When pattern lock is enabled click and hold lock button and it will bring up Silent Mode on/off, Airplane on/off and Power Off phone options.

Happy turkey day everyone!!
    11-26-09 03:52 AM
    Bumping the thread very useful.
    11-27-09 11:18 AM
    How about media management tips like how to keep folders of pics, sounds, etc from showing up in the gallery or music menu? Like I keep getting my YouMail messages that have downloaded in my Music list...that's annoying :P
    11-27-09 11:48 AM
    How about media management tips like how to keep folders of pics, sounds, etc from showing up in the gallery or music menu? Like I keep getting my YouMail messages that have downloaded in my Music list...that's annoying :P
    I agree. Any useful tips?

Also for media syncing DoubleTwist is a great program that can sync music pics and video.

If you need multitouch zoom in your browser, Dolphin Browser is a good alternative.

11-27-09 12:21 PM
    Bump................
    11-30-09 11:08 AM
    I was reading about the process to make mp3 files into ring tones. Not that it's that difficult but it certainly is much harder then a blackberry.

So I'm surfing around on the net I find this free app in the market place called Ringdroid. It allows you to make custom ringtones from recordings, mp3, whatever you like. No making folders or placing files in a particular order. Real simple to use. Check it out.
    11-30-09 01:40 PM
    I was reading about the process to make mp3 files into ring tones. Not that it's that difficult but it certainly is much harder then a blackberry.

So I'm surfing around on the net I find this free app in the market place called Ringdroid. It allows you to make custom ringtones from recordings, mp3, whatever you like. No making folders or placing files in a particular order. Real simple to use. Check it out.

Ringdroid is nice
    11-30-09 02:04 PM
    Subscribed. Getting num lock on the physical keyboard was driving me nuts - who would have thought to double tap. Thanks for the tips.
    11-30-09 07:34 PM
    Ringdroid is nice
    An emphatic +1!
    11-30-09 08:01 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD