So I went down to verizon to check on the Droid-X or Droid 2. Oh wow did I hate it so fricking much. Hate the touch screen, hate the navigation, hate the calendar (mainly because I hate the touch screen) I would tap and somehow miss the time I wanted to create an entry, I would constantly miss the text field I was aiming for etc. Sure it was fast and all, the browser was better. But I understand why people call the Android a "play" or "entertainment" phone and the Blackberry more geared towards productively. I can't imagine being all the productive and organized with a Droid, compared to the Blackberry.
    08-26-10 07:11 PM
    I'm glad we are open to state your opinion. But there are millions of people who disagree. And I am one of them.

Posted via iPod touch powered by android wifi hotspot tethering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 07:28 PM
    I'm glad we are open to state your opinion. But there are millions of people who disagree. And I am one of them.

It takes two devices to do the job of one Blackberry.
    08-26-10 07:37 PM
    Actually when today's BBs are considered lacking in features (by pretty much the entire tech industry), it takes more BBs to do what one high-end Android or iPhone does.

There, corrected it for you.

Oh, and that email thing. Hotmail is about to turn on Exchange support - so now if you have one of the big three email services (gmail, hotmail, yahoo) and you use an Android device, you have full push and sync for email, contacts, and calendar for all of them.

Yeah - that whole BBs for communications BS just keeps getting easier to crap on.
    08-26-10 07:44 PM
    Actually when today's BBs are considered lacking in features (by pretty much the entire tech industry), it takes more BBs to do what one high-end Android or iPhone does.

Oh, and that email thing. Hotmail is about to turn on Exchange support - so now if you have one of the big three email services (gmail, hotmail, yahoo) and you use an Android device, you have full push and sync for email, contacts, and calendar for all of them.

Yeah - that whole BBs for communications BS just keeps getting easier to crap on.
    @johnling just got PWNED lol!!!!
    08-26-10 07:52 PM
    I have to agree with the OP. I've never had a good experience with an android phone.

08-26-10 07:53 PM
    Well this is why I still have a BlackBerry cause the android just don't do what I like on my BlackBerry .

08-26-10 07:55 PM
    ...I would constantly miss the text field I was aiming for etc.
    Were you drunk?
    08-26-10 07:58 PM
    So I went down to verizon to check on the Droid-X or Droid 2. Oh wow did I hate it so fricking much. Hate the touch screen, hate the navigation, hate the calendar (mainly because I hate the touch screen) I would tap and somehow miss the time I wanted to create an entry, I would constantly miss the text field I was aiming for etc. Sure it was fast and all, the browser was better. But I understand why people call the Android a "play" or "entertainment" phone and the Blackberry more geared towards productively. I can't imagine being all the productive and organized with a Droid, compared to the Blackberry.
    I'm sure you'd have no problem with a Torch or a Storm right.
    08-26-10 08:05 PM
    @johnling just got PWNED lol!!!!

He had to prop up his Droid with an iPod to get the job HALF done.

Again, BB's are the only phones to get the job done by more people everyday. The droids and iphones will never reach the top as BB's have.

Time to close the thread! We have heard all the kiddies try to argue the facts too many times.
    Last edited by johnling; 08-26-10 at 08:11 PM.
    08-26-10 08:08 PM
    Its completly user preference i love my droid x you have to try it with an open mind when coming from blackberry though its a big change one that i think is for the better, although i don't use my phone for business.
    08-26-10 08:13 PM
    I'm sure you'd have no problem with a Torch or a Storm right.
    Don't like the Storm touch screen, haven't tried the Torch I might like that since it has a BB OS which I like better then android.
    08-26-10 08:14 PM

I don't disagree the Droid can do more then the BB, just that for me and what I do the BB will keep me organized better. Simple as that, my issue with the touchscreen notwithstanding.
    08-26-10 08:23 PM
    I am sure it is a learning curve getting use to a touch screen but most people seem to love their androids! Had a cousin that went from a BB curve to a droid. He said it took a couple weeks to get use to it but now having it for 4 or so months said he can type faster on that then he could with his BB. If RIM doesn't have a web browser that is as fast as androids next time around might have to give android a chance! But would not be suprised to be back here complaining about it after returning it! Who knows?
    08-26-10 08:55 PM

Dude it was a joke.... 100% a joke....

do me a favor ... Tether your Blackberry to a NetBook, and iPad, and a iPod all at the same time at HSPA+ speeds @ the same time. Then we'll talk

and i think it's funny a co-worker of mine uses my Wi-Fi tethering for faster speeds than his Tour on VZW can provide....

Last edited by mjneid; 08-26-10 at 09:03 PM.
    08-26-10 09:00 PM

Again, BB's are the only phones to get the job done by more people everyday. The droids and iphones will never reach the top as BB's have.

Time to close the thread! We have heard all the kiddies try to argue the facts too many times.
    Holy condescending post, batman!

First of all, if you didn't realize the reason he mentioned being able to post from the itouch via the wifi hotspot generated by the droid was to tout one of droid's cool innovative features, there's little hope of ever convincing you to give android an honest chance, or possibility of you admitting that android is a very powerful OS, with some extremely powerful devices.

The android devices have all manner of useful features that BB can't do/can't do well. The wifi hotspot feature, for example, would be rather handy. The internet browser seems more useful, the email, as mentioned, is steadily improving on the androids.

I've been playing with various devices in the stores and you have to remember, they are different from BB and there will be a learning curve for these devices, just like the learning curve there was when you first got accustomed to the BB keyboard and OS.

Attacking the proponents of android surely does nothing to strengthen the argument that BB is the best option for everyone.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 08-26-10 at 10:24 PM.
    08-26-10 10:20 PM
    What I find hilarious is, Android Lovers on a BlackBerry Site, and I'm sure you will find BlackBerry users there, which is stupid as well. My two cents is, my BlackBerry phones does everything I need it to do. Now, exactly what is this "push" thingamajig someone stated earlier? Is that when someone sends you an email to your (lets say) Gmail account and it immediately goes to your phone? Is this what this "push" thing do?

My best friend has a MyTouch 3g phone, and I played with it and I don't like touch screens. For the reason someone mentioned, very irritating trying to type a text message and have to keep re-typing stuff. Would have had three texts typed and sent with my trusty BB in the same amount of time. Now, who actually buys a "Smart Phone" to browse the internet? Really, come on now. Sure, wud be nice to have blinding speed, but let's be realistic here.

Ok, who buys a "Smart Phone" to watch videos? 40,000 Apps? 500,000 Apps? Really? Will anyone actually use/buy them all? Games, can't forget the games! One guy got mad at me because I told him if he wanted a phone to play games on, then go get a iPhone. Probably holds true with the Android phones. Particularly Droid X and Droid 2. I don't know about you, but I didn't buy my BlackBerry to play games, play videos and to be a speed demon on the Internet.

My biggest weakness is, I DO listen to music on my BlackBerry, so I'm guilty for that. If my calculations are in the ballpark, I should be able to listen to my BB for the whole 13 hour flight from LA to Inchon South Korea! :-) Couldn't do that with my 8900, but my Bold 9700 ROCKS!

Bottom line is, people will like what they like, but my advice to a lot of people I know who are teetering, is know what you want out of the phone BEFORE committing to one. Don't go with the hype. The Droid X hype is slowing down now. The Palm Pre was almost like the Titantic. Didn't help they went full bore with Sprint! The BlackBerry is taking a beating in some areas and yes, some of it is on RIM, but, and that's a BIG but, the BlackBerry is still #1 in the arena it was originally created to play in. Still the most secure smart phone out there and this is one of the reasons some countries want to ban it.

These my phone is better than your phone is almost as childish as the Mac vs PC threads......

WTF is PWNED any damn way? Too bad they don't teach English in school anymore! SMH!
    08-26-10 10:26 PM
    Just dropped in because I saw a link to this thread on Blaze's Twitter. Some of you are drinking the BB koolaide way too much. Switched from a BB to a Droid Incredible and I will never switch back to BB. Literally nothing that my BB did that the Incredible cannot and there is a lot the Incredible can do that the BB couldn't. Anyway to each his own I guess. Carry on.
    08-26-10 10:57 PM
    I agree. Android phones are full of fail.
    08-26-10 11:03 PM
    There are touchscreen people and non-Touchscreen people. People who mainly use the device to communicate and people who mainly use the device for entertainment. As of now no device fits everyone, regardless of what Apple thinks.
    BUT
    Android is closing the gap and becoming a better communicator. RIM is closing the gap and becoming more entertaining. IMO RIM has more work to do than Android does if they are to meet in the middle, if you discount the security aspect which a lot of people do.
    For now we each have to choose a device that fits us best. The best of us will realize that wants and needs differ and respect the choices of others. The rest I figure will hang out here and trash the devices the forum was made for. Kind of like going to a hockey game and talking about how much hockey sucks.

08-27-10 12:21 AM

Okay sir/miss let me inform you of something.

I was a AVID Blackberry User for YEARS. Since the 8100 was released. I've owned an 8100/8310/8900/9500/9700. LOVED the devices when i had them. And they still make GREAT devices. I never once bad mouthed RIM. and said they "suck" or they are horrible devices. But to set there and claim they are the best devices on the planet is extremely limited to one aspect of a the smart phone experience. I LOVED my 9700. fast, speedy, quick, But it lacked on the Media end, it lacked on the browser end. and Tethering the device was EXTREMELY slow... like super slow. And i sat in the same boat you are setting it. "blackberry ROCK!!!" and would believe nothing else. until i picked up my Android phone. and WOW!! The browser, the not-downsized E-Mail, the media, the speed it's like driving a Porsche after i've been driving a Caviler for 5 years.

Make a long story short.

you bash me for "bashing" RIM, when i never did. And i've walked more than a mile in RIMS shoes.

Before you bash Android, Apple or WebOS, when did you walk more than a mile in their shoes.

AND before you do start wondering why i still linger on a RIM site. I still poke my head in the 9700/8900 forums and help people out. but when i see people bashing the device i use... i have every right to defend it, just like you defend yours.

Last edited by mjneid; 08-27-10 at 08:50 AM.
    08-27-10 07:44 AM
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with the OP on this. While I love the blackberry as much as anyone (and the hardware keyboardn oh the keyboard) android os and higher end devices are really great, especially if you know how to program.

Sure, blackberry devices tend to last longer than other phones in terms of battery life and physical build quality, and tend to have best antennas among the devices of its class. But if you think the OS isn't aging badly you didn't spend enough time with other newer mobile operating systems. The reason why we're not seeing tons of innovative programs on the blackberry platform isn't because it lacks developers, it's because the platform is physically incapable of accomodating innovative features on the operating system.

And for those who think having a large apps marketplace is for entertainment, I'll have to disagree with that a well.
    I'm a student working part time in a lab and blackberry marketplace lacks just too many of the programs that are essential to my everyday work, like pdf viewer (yeah sure, you can pay for third party viewers, while android and iphone users use free adobe-built native readers), scientific caculators (again, blackberry ones are expensive and many of them doesn't even work quite right, I.e. No scientific notation, while ios and android device users have multiple free versions to choose from), applications to search through pubmed databases, and etc etc. Truth is the moment you stray from email, texting and instant messaging, blackberry devices don't quite stand up to other devices (of its class, BBs are still loads better than other lower end devices), and newer operating systems are quickly catching up with BBs on emails and other business oriented features as well.

I just hope that total os refresh for blackberry devices is just around the corner, otherwise RIM will cease to be relevant in the next two or three years.

-sent via my 9800

08-27-10 08:42 AM
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with the OP on this. While I love the blackberry as much as anyone (and the hardware keyboardn oh the keyboard) android os and higher end devices are really great, especially if you know how to program.

. Truth is the moment you stray from email, texting and instant messaging, blackberry devices don't quite stand up to other devices (of its class, BBs are still loads better than other lower end devices), and newer operating systems are quickly catching up with BBs on emails and other business oriented features as well.

I just hope that total os refresh for blackberry devices is just around the corner, otherwise RIM will cease to be relevant in the next two or three years.

-sent via my 9800

Good points. What I find interesting is how the majority of the pro-BlackBerry users who are going to Android and iPhone and coming screaming back to BlackBerry, are none other than the physical keyboard device owners. If Androids were physical keyboards like the BB, do you think these BB lovers would stay loyal to BlackBerry?

I don't see Storm or Torch users among the majority that are bashing Android and iPhone, yet Storm and Torch are BlackBerry devices. When I see Storm users saying Android is a great platform, that tells me that this "great communication device" debate is really just an issue of physical keyboard versus touch screen. If you like touch screen, you may like Android & iPhone, but if you prefer physical keyboard, you'll likely want to stay with BlackBerry.

I also think it's user habits, too. It's hard to have to change what you are used to. It takes a little time to get adjusted. Unfortunately, time is not in abundance when you deal with carrier contracts. I think with those short return periods, users are trying out the phone and making decisions based on initial impressions. If you are more comfortable with the BB platform, naturally you may decide against Android. But if you really test out your Android for a variety of features you like about your BB, and more importantly, for the features that your BB doesn't offer that the Android does, you may find yourself content with Android.
    08-27-10 01:28 PM
    For me it has everything to do with a physical keyboard. I have had all iphones, several several androinds, i have tried swyping and nothing beats for ME a bberry keyboard. Nothing is perfect and i decided to sacrifice Media capabilities for a great typing device.
    08-27-10 01:33 PM
    For me it has everything to do with a physical keyboard. I have had all iphones, several several androinds, i have tried swyping and nothing beats for ME a bberry keyboard. Nothing is perfect and i decided to sacrifice Media capabilities for a great typing device.
    The first honest post i've seen here.

08-27-10 01:52 PM
337 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD