Hey people
    currently i have a blackberry 8220 (flip) and i'm looking to upgrade..

Android vs Onyx 9700

i'm posting a similar forum on android sites so i can see the trash talk on each device.
    09-27-09 07:23 PM
    Well I'll be gettin an android device device next month (htc hero). I tried to really give a RIM a chance but there devices aren't progressing like I hoped they would. Htc hero looks like what I was dreaming of.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 01:20 PM
    Blackberrys are really good phones. But I feel like we are getting left behind. The os are outdated they are really a dependable phone. I will be picking up my hero on oct 17.
    09-28-09 06:41 PM
    I too will getting rid of my Tour for the HTC Hero.

Reasons:

1. Constant self reboots
    2. Freezes
    3. Calendar entries duplicate themselves, last one was duplicated 18 times (a no I don't sync my phone to anything other than the big G. For the record the appointments aren't duplicated on Google Calendar.)
    4. Push Email on Android is best w/Gmail
    09-28-09 07:26 PM
    Here are links to a couple good You Tube review videos

Personally like the one below by Noah at PhoneDog.com

Part 1:
    Part 2:
    Part 3:
    Last edited by ERDude; 09-28-09 at 07:38 PM.
    09-28-09 07:32 PM
    Good videos I seen those last night. I've read and have been doing a lot of research with the hero. I have always seen good reviews about this phone. I want bash my berry it has been a really good phone. The os part is ancient and outdated. If Black berry had a better os like iphone or hero I would never leave. I think its time to move on. Maybe in a few years blackberry will get their act together.
    09-28-09 11:07 PM
    I was checking out the latest Android phone which, by the way, isn't out just yet. It's the Motorola Cliq with MOTO BLUR technology. Anyone know anything about this and have an opinion? It's looks really interesting. I'm really wanting to try an Android phone and so far, this one has me the most interested.
    09-29-09 08:51 AM
    I currently have a Bold with too many issues and tried a Dream for a bit. There are too many limitations with Android that I won't be keeping it. So right now, I don't know what to get.

FYI, Android HTC Dream;

Won't sync to Outlook other than calendar. No tasks or notes/memo applications
    Voice dialing is weak. You don't get a digital playback and have to have the phone in front of you to make it work.
    Tethering is weak only possible with a cable and you have to add an application to handle it.
    Bluetooth only supports headset.
    09-29-09 05:30 PM
    I currently have a Bold with too many issues and tried a Dream for a bit. There are too many limitations with Android that I won't be keeping it. So right now, I don't know what to get.

FYI, Android HTC Dream;

Won't sync to Outlook other than calendar. No tasks or notes/memo applications
    Voice dialing is weak. You don't get a digital playback and have to have the phone in front of you to make it work.
    Tethering is weak only possible with a cable and you have to add an application to handle it.
    Bluetooth only supports headset.
    HTC Hero not only is an Android Phone but also has HTC's Sense UI. All the items you listed as limitations are available on the Hero according to reviews from the major tech sites.

Although they all admit that Android works best with Gmail for push mail. Which is great for me as that's all I use.
    09-29-09 07:50 PM
    HTC Hero not only is an Android Phone but also has HTC's Sense UI. All the items you listed as limitations are available on the Hero according to reviews from the major tech sites.

Although they all admit that Android works best with Gmail for push mail. Which is great for me as that's all I use.
    I try whenever possible to use those things that work best with my device whether it's hardware or software. If I end up trying out an Android phone, I'm definitely doing it with a full concentration on Google apps. I believe that is where the phone will really shine. Why fight it? It is also my belief that the Motorola Cliq could be a real special phone although it may not be for everyone simply because of its concentration on social networking. Still... very inviting.
    09-30-09 07:19 AM
    The hero looks very promising and with us already in October now there are a lot of reviews coming out for the hero on youtube. Not sure if I'll be able to get it on launch day becuz of financial reasons but this will definitely be next device. As for the moto cliq I haven't researched it a whole lot, that's becuz the Hero has all of my attention

10-01-09 05:27 PM
    Don't bother with the Cliq. Wait for the Nokia N900. That will be a true power house phone. Maemo software | Nokia � Nokia N900 mobile computer
    10-02-09 11:33 PM
    Don't bother with the Cliq. Wait for the Nokia N900. That will be a true power house phone. Maemo software | Nokia › Nokia N900 mobile computer
    Now that looks like a pretty sweet phone. Wonder if it's coming to Sprint. With GSM and CDMA support I wonder if it will be the next World phone.

The subsidized Euro price is $500 Euro that puts the US subsidized price at $749, that's a little steep for a phone, a first gen phone at that.
    Last edited by ERDude; 10-03-09 at 12:06 AM.
    10-02-09 11:42 PM
    Now that looks like a pretty sweet phone. Wonder if it's coming to Sprint. With GSM and CDMA support I wonder if it will be the next World phone.

The subsidized Euro price is $500 Euro that puts the US subsidized price at $749, that's a little steep for a phone, a first gen phone at that.
    I'm pretty sure the N900 will be going to Tmobile.
    10-03-09 01:42 AM

I checked the HTC site and it still won't sync Tasks and Notes. The Dream could do this directly through contacts and indirectly through Google Calendar.

A lot of us run businesses with our phones and need Notes and Tasks.
    10-03-09 06:47 AM

No... You can pre-order the phone right now on Nokia's site for $650 US and it comes with a bluetooth headset. If it came to Tmo and was subsidized it would be even cheaper.
    10-03-09 09:08 AM
    10-03-09 07:15 PM
    No... You can pre-order the phone right now on Nokia's site for $650 US and it comes with a bluetooth headset. If it came to Tmo and was subsidized it would be even cheaper.
    That's still a hefty price to pay for a first gen phone.
    10-03-09 07:15 PM
    This might be my next phone. Coming soon to Verizon, running Android 2.0 OS:

* OMAP3430 � 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)
    * Dimensions 60.00 x 115.80 x 13.70 mm
    * Weight 169 g
    * Battery Li-ion 1400 mAh.
    * Standby 450 hours, talk time 420 minutes
    * 3.7-inch touch-sensitive display with a resolution of 854�480 pixels, 16 million color depth. Physical screen size is 45.72 mm by 81.34 mm.
    * 512MB/256MB ROM/RAM
    * microSD / microSDHC expansion slot
    * Camera: 5.0 megapixel with autofocus and video recorder
    * Connectivity: USB2.0, 3.5mm audio jack, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, Wi-Fi
    * Supported audio formats: AMR-NB/WB, MP3, PCM / WAV, AAC, AAC +, eAAC +, WMA
    * Supported video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, WMV
    * GPS navigation
    * Package Contents: Phone Motorola Sholes, battery, charger, USB cable, 8GB MicroSD memory card and other literature.

10-05-09 11:03 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    10-13-09 09:44 AM
    That's still a hefty price to pay for a first gen phone.
    It's the 4th in a series of 5 according to somewhere I read... It's just the first to have phone capabilities. Nokia has been making Internet Tablets similar to the N900 for a while now. For that hardware $650 is a reasonable price though. Find me a 32GB iPhone for that price, even if you could it will still be lacking the camera and other features though...
    10-13-09 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD