Brand new article straight from Engadget with a video showing the works of Android 2.1 coming from the Droid. Best of all they hinted that it is coming SOON. Now I'm not sure if that means a few days to a few weeks or until the end of the month but this still gives me hope.

Android 2.1 looking fast, furious on Motorola Droid -- Engadget
    03-04-10 12:52 AM
    Its been on the way for a long time now. I am seeing more noise about the Moto Droid 2.1 release, so lets hope "soon" really is "soon".

Crossing my fingers...............................
    03-04-10 08:51 AM
    OK, I'm on board, crossing my fingers too!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

03-04-10 09:10 AM
    If there is one thing I have learned from owning a Blackberry is waiting on new OS realeases. Now Droid appears to be making BB look brilliant now on OS updates. They were out a month ago and said it would be out this week, and then oops sorry he wasn't supposed to say that.

Don't believe soon until the link is posted.
    03-04-10 10:36 AM
    I'll believe it when I see people actually installing it on their phones.

Plus, its going to be hard to get me to switch from Droidmod.
    03-04-10 10:51 AM
    There's a leaked full sense version over @ xda for Eris owners...so hopefully it'll be rollin out officially in coming weeks/months...

03-04-10 11:17 AM
    I'm not holding my breath. Getting annoying

03-04-10 12:30 PM
    The mod world of Droid has had 2.1 since what was it, late December.
    03-04-10 03:12 PM
    Some reliable sources had indicated that 2.1 failed testing with VZW for the droid. So maybe Moto fixed the issues, or engadget is just behind the 8 ball.

03-04-10 04:26 PM
    It doesn't make sense to me that all these devs can make a home grown rom for the device. But official programmers can't release anything or get anything to work right? Sounds to me that either the amateurs need to be the pros or the testing standards need to leave the facist side of the field here.

Personally I love the smoked glass 5.01 rom I am running but I know an official 2.1 will be "allegedly" required for flash...so to get one would indicate the other soon.

Come on vzw, why are you being software nazis?
    03-04-10 10:28 PM
    I'm running the leak right now on my Eris, and I absolutely love it! All my Eris needs now is root so I can overclock and then all us Eris owners will be on par with the Motorola boys and girls!
    03-04-10 10:55 PM
    I'm running the ERE25 build in that video and I must agree that this is wonderful. everything is so much smoother. the native browser with multitouch now is WOW! much better than the ported versions. You don't even really need to overclock this build unless you are running live wallpapers.
    03-05-10 10:15 AM
    2.1 has actually failed on more than one occasion. Verizon does want the update to be flawless for us, but also has some details to work out with skype (only because at&t has decided to allow it, ba*****). There has been some vague reports on why the OS failed without any credible sources. If you can use google effectively, there is actually a ton more information as to whats going on with 2.1. with people that can state there source of information for good credibility. Motorola and Verizon bogs have information pertaining to it also, that delve into greater depths than seen here on the few blogs that are vague on the subject at best. IMHO, if you want to know more, visit the respective sites and inquire. If I were to bet, I would place my sawbucks on a March OTA!
    03-05-10 10:53 AM
    I'm running the leak right now on my Eris, and I absolutely love it! All my Eris needs now is root so I can overclock and then all us Eris owners will be on par with the Motorola boys and girls!
    I am happy you like the leak, but unfortunately the hardware in your phone is outdated and you wont be able to be on par. I wish they would have updated the Eris hardware when it came to Verizon, and even Sprints Hero.

But at least you get the same software.
    03-05-10 11:26 AM
    I'll have to second Pete's work on the 2.1 ERE ROM. I used to sit and hang on every breath that cam eout of Engadgets mouth, hoping to hear about a drop of the 2.1 official OS. Thought I was used to it having come from the Storm. LOL The day they (Motorola) pulled all their press about 2.1 and they said it wouldnt drop as scheduled, I rooted my Droid and havent looked back since. Only reason I would go back to stock is to get the flash update when it drops. I was very nervous about reliability and usability with a custom ROM. Don;t be afraid people... LMAO And returning from root is arguably easier than obtaining root on your Droid. It's a win win situation.
    03-05-10 12:16 PM
    Don't get too excited there cowboy. The processor in your ERIS is not meant to be OC'd the processor in our Droids was underclocked by Moto that's why we can OC them.
    03-05-10 01:07 PM
    i think we will have flying cars before we have 2.1 LOL
    03-05-10 04:36 PM
    i think we will have flying cars before we have 2.1 LOL
    Just put a 2.1 rom on, quicker than waiting for flying cars, wait, there are cars that can fly

03-05-10 04:51 PM
    you can get MANY of the features of 2.1 in custom ROM's. I heard 2.1 wasn't that great and even heard it failed testing? Idk? Adamz smoked glass v5.0.1 has some sick features thats makes me not really yearn that hard for 2.1
    03-05-10 04:55 PM
    Don't get too excited there cowboy. The processor in your ERIS is not meant to be OC'd the processor in our Droids was underclocked by Moto that's why we can OC them.
    i hear that, 550 is really plenty tho... 1.3 ghz is the fastest i think i've seen so far. I like to keep mine in the 550-800 range.
    03-05-10 04:57 PM
    Just put a 2.1 rom on, quicker than waiting for flying cars, wait, there are cars that can fly

yea i thought about that, im not rooted yet, im easin into it like i did with BB's
    03-05-10 09:17 PM
    I would almost suggest getting your phone rooted before 2.1 in released. The word is that the new rom will make is extremely difficult to obtain root, while if you already have root the new release will not be downloaded to your phone. If your not going to ever do that sort of thing then I guess don't worry about it and let VZW take care of things. Custom 2.1 ERE25 roms with multi-touch browsing are out right now. I am running Petes V0.4 Beta and it is smooth as silk. I also added the 24k on the Home++ launcher. Looks tits IMO.
    03-05-10 10:31 PM
    yea i thought about that, im not rooted yet, im easin into it like i did with BB's
    I feel ya, but I am getting an itch
    03-05-10 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD