The more money it loses, the more Amazon likes it. That's their business model isn't it?
    As long as they are selling huge numbers of devices yes they will sustain losses and live with it, thinking the installed base will produce future revenues as users shop at Amazon. 26K is the US is a pittance, more someone like ZTE or HUAWEI would report as they try to enter the stateside market for flagship phones.
    08-28-14 11:48 AM
    My fear is that if the fire phone does not sell well, the amazon app store will not grow either.

Blackberry has tossed the baton for the consumer side developer relations to amazon and this will not help their cause.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 07:17 PM
    The amazon store is not going to grow huge amounts no matter what. It never has. Its always missing big name apps and games. Its always had a ton of 2nd and 3rd rate programs. What you have in the Amazon store now is what its going to always be like IMO. Its been out for over 3 years and still doesnt have some of the basic free apps that are popular
    mornhavon and allengeorge like this.
    08-28-14 07:27 PM
    The amazon store is not going to grow huge amounts no matter what. It never has. Its always missing big name apps and games. Its always had a ton of 2nd and 3rd rate programs. What you have in the Amazon store now is what its going to always be like IMO. Its been out for over 3 years and still doesnt have some of the basic free apps that are popular
    Kind of like BlackBerry World?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-01-14 04:53 PM
    The only way anyone would buy a Amazon phone is if the device was super cheap. Their first Tablet was a great value at that time.
    There are some who are really into the their ecosystem, and buy all kinds of stuff on Amazon.
    09-01-14 05:11 PM
    There are some who are really into the their ecosystem, and buy all kinds of stuff on Amazon.
    I think that's quite true. However it is only the real Amazon faithful who will be swayed by easy ordering alone.

I buy quite a lot on Amazon.com. I've been a Prime member for some time and place 20 or so orders a year. I'd still be highly unlikely to switch to their phone until it offers more than just easy ordering.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-01-14 06:51 PM
    Which is why we still need to push for native BlackBerry 10 apps!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 10:37 PM
    It's $0.99 on a 2 year plan now...hurting

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 04:00 AM
    It's $0.99 on a 2 year plan now...hurting

Posted via CB10

So, basically free, and including 1 year of free Prime and Videos with a reported value of 300$. And, of course, access to their App store with greater compatibility because of the "real" android OS that it uses.

I'm sure quite a few will now see the phone as an attractive proposition and sales are likely to increase.

I can't see this move as good for BB... At all.
    09-09-14 04:41 AM
    With the pending arrival of the iPhone 6 and 6+, it would make zero sense for Fire Phone to stay at full price because they're no match for Apple head to head--they have to discount.

I'm of the opinion that the exclusive launch on AT&T was proof positive that Amazon was not after significant market share, just a cheaper entry into the game of smartphones. The device's pricing made the same impression--it was too high to trigger "great value" sales pressure in most people like the Amazon tablets did.

As for the phone itself, I liked the 3D thing, the UI, the included membership, the firefly feature, and the specs were good. They need to make the phone $350 off contract and available on all carriers to do the bare minimum. They need to make it $250 off contract to get the "great value" sales pressure going. Maybe they could put ads to bring down prices like they did with some tablets?

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1154 / T-Mobile USA
    09-09-14 11:57 PM
    Being exclusive on At&t only didn't help.
    This. I know a couple people that would've bought one but wasn't gonna go to att.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime using Tapatalk
    09-25-15 05:06 PM
36 12