I didn't buy the Storm when it first came out. I checked it out, didn't like it, held out. I held until after it got it's first officially OS upgrade. So I got it in Feb. '09 and it lasted me until last month when at Six Flags my phone fell out of my pocket and broke. I was hurt.

That last drop was number 17. I guess one too many drops lol. But I never had any problems with my Storm.

Everyone has a different story about their Storm. Mine was all good.

So to answer your question........Yes my Storm 1 experience was everything I thought it would be out of the box.

I'm sorry if yours and others experience with the Storm was bad, but I appreciate your envy......Seriously.

Well Im sorry you only dropped your phone 17 times in its life time and it broke... Between my kids and me my phone hits the ground at least 5-10 aday... I had a storm 2 and HATED it and was constantly installing hybrids for
    performance.. my 3yo daughter has it has a play toy and she even hates it.. She wants my HTC DInc.
    08-29-10 08:40 PM
    for those of us who were early adopters of the s1 it was a long journey. it did get better along the way, but it was like a roller coaster ride. some things, like the hardware, you just couldn't fix with os leaks or hybrids. the s2 hardware was improved and there were fewer software anomalies, but that phone also has it's moments. i always felt like i was just getting by with the blackberry, didn't feel like it had anything in reserve performance or capability wise.

then the moto droid came out and basically turned the smart phone world on its ear. the beginning of the android invasion. once i got the droid i realized how powerful and flexible the android platform is. not to be rude, but blackberry doesn't stand a chance of keeping it's king of hill position if they keep putting out the same stuff.

There are lots of people who are perfectly happy with their phone the way it is, and feel no need to root. On the other hand, there are lots of people who want to be able to install cutom ROMs, and use other features that are only available to rooted phones.
    +1

with the newer 1ghz android phones it's not so much rooting to bump up performance or fix something as it is to gain access to locked out features and functionality.
    08-29-10 09:04 PM
    Well Im sorry you only dropped your phone 17 times in its life time and it broke... Between my kids and me my phone hits the ground at least 5-10 aday... I had a storm 2 and HATED it and was constantly installing hybrids for
    performance.. my 3yo daughter has it has a play toy and she even hates it.. She wants my HTC DInc.
    Well that last drop was from a high distance lol. But like I said everybody has a different story about why they hated their Storm 1 or 2.

Then you have just as many people who have a different story about why they loved their Storm 1 or 2.

It's all about personal choice.
    08-29-10 09:07 PM
    LOL I rooted it last night just to get rid of some of the bloatware. I haven't changed anything else. There were a couple of apps I wanted that required it and it was painless on the Vibrant...

That lasted long. Heh.

So for the rooters - do I have to unroot it to install Froyo when it drops next month for Samsung? Keep in mind I only have the Superuser on it and have removed bloatware, I haven't used a ROM or anything at all, it's still the Touchwiz. I think I know the answer but some confirmation would be appreciated.

Ah yes...the BB OS hybrid argument. I never did a hybrid on the Storm because I was fine with 5.0 (although fine=used to the lagging, freezing and battery pulling owning a BB requires you to be okay with when it's a $600 phone...unacceptable RIM) but I did a hybrid on my 8330 to try it. I never owned a phone I HAD to mess with the OS to make it useable until I owned a BB.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 08-30-10 at 01:17 PM.
    08-30-10 12:54 PM
    LOL I rooted it last night just to get rid of some of the bloatware.
    Well, this officially answers the question posed in the title. You are NOT the only person who doesn't want to root your phone. Since you rooted, you in no way resemble that person anymore

To answer your question, you should be fine because you're running the stock OS, kernel, etc. but you'll lose root when the OTA comes. No worries, chances are someone will figure out how to root your device again in short order (if they haven't already).
    Last edited by mikestorm; 08-30-10 at 04:52 PM.
    08-30-10 04:50 PM
    Nope. All the reasons I've seen for rooting are absolutely invalid and pointless for me. Oh wow, I can get a screen shot app... woopty-friggin'-do. I can get ROMS and games... oh wow, I couldn't do that at all with the stock system (crickets). I can tether my phone with other devices... (twists finger in air) already have it on all mine, get your own!
    08-30-10 08:37 PM
    I just dont wanna ruin my phone. And honestly, i dont want to remove any of the apps that come with the phone preloaded by Sprint (Sprint TV, navigation). there seem to be millions of different roms available, how do i know which is for my phone?? How easy is it to go back and forth from rooted <--> unrooted?

The only reason i would even root my phone would be to get rid of the lag for things like the phone and messages. I have an HTC Hero.
    08-30-10 09:07 PM
    So you believed your S1 experience was everything you hoped it would be right out of the box?

I'm envious. Seriously.
    I know I did. I bought mine in December 2008, before the whole android craze. I couldnt find ANYTHING wrong with the phone. To date the original storm is the best phone Ive ever had (havent tried the storm 2, but im sure its great). there was the occasional freezing, but pretty much every other phone has the same thing.
    08-30-10 09:15 PM
    A friend of mine let me play with his Storm 2 over the weekend before, ugh if it were my own phone I would've dunked it in the toilet then soiled on it. What a god awful phone it was, and he agreed and wanted a new phone (and he did get one), reboots took nearly 8 minutes which rivaled my slow *** Pearl Flip.
    08-30-10 09:30 PM
    why wouldnt you root the phone is the question... all it does is lets the user control the phone instead of the carrier.

bloat all gone
    08-30-10 09:38 PM
    Well...

There are plenty of risks involved with rooting, especially if the user doesn't know what they're doing; so I can definitely understand if someone doesn't want to get involved with all that business...

But... One of Android's main selling points is how open it is, and how it can be tweaked and customized in pretty much every way. And of course, rooting provides even more options for customizing, such as: removing bloatware, WiFi Tethering, Overclocking, loading custom ROM's...etc...

If someone doesn't want to put in the work, or is concerned that the risk isn't worth the reward, then I can understand how someone might not want to root, but personally, I have rooted every Android I have owned, and have definitely seen the benefits...
    08-30-10 11:45 PM
    Well...

There are plenty of risks involved with rooting, especially if the user doesn't know what they're doing; so I can definitely understand if someone doesn't want to get involved with all that business...

But... One of Android's main selling points is how open it is, and how it can be tweaked and customized in pretty much every way. And of course, rooting provides even more options for customizing, such as: removing bloatware, WiFi Tethering, Overclocking, loading custom ROM's...etc...

If someone doesn't want to put in the work, or is concerned that the risk isn't worth the reward, then I can understand how someone might not want to root, but personally, I have rooted every Android I have owned, and have definitely seen the benefits...

I plan to pick up the Epic 4g w/in the next few days &, coming from BB, I don't plan to root it until I understand exactly what it is and feel comfortable with how it's done. I have no problem staying w/the stock version until I learn all of the ins & outs of teh Android platform. Anyways, by the time I understand the stock version, I'm sure v2.2 will be releasing.
    08-31-10 07:54 AM
    I have no desire to root my DInc...I use to have a bb storm 2 and would run hybrids all the time.. My Android is the BEST phone I have ever had.. I dont miss the screen freezing and the battery pulls and the 10min reboot up time..

I agree the more I "fine tuned" my Tour the more battery pulls I had. I guess for now I'll just leave my EVO alone.
    08-31-10 08:04 AM
    Rooting isn't a bad thing. Whatever modifications you make just be sure that you unserstand and know how to return your phone to its original state.
    Great thanks to those who make the custom themes, and as time goes on
    they will improve and become easier to do.
    After the official update then we may play.........
    08-31-10 08:41 AM
    Nope. All the reasons I've seen for rooting are absolutely invalid and pointless for me. Oh wow, I can get a screen shot app... woopty-friggin'-do. I can get ROMS and games... oh wow, I couldn't do that at all with the stock system (crickets). I can tether my phone with other devices... (twists finger in air) already have it on all mine, get your own!

Not being able to get a screen shot app is the least important thing you can't do without root. You also can't remove useless bloatware. You also can't load custom ROMs with the stock system. You also can't use programs like Metamorph to load custom themes to your phone. You also can't overclock your phone to improve it's performance. You also can't install certain apps because of the Android version. You also can't use the FREE WiFi Tether app. Sure, you can pay for a capped amount of tethered usage...

All invalid and pointless reasons to root.
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 09-01-10 at 08:50 PM.
    09-01-10 09:29 AM
    No one is forcing you to root, but you have more options when you root, such as installing a screenshot app rather than having to connect to your PC and using the SDK to capture. Also you can install titanium backup and remove system installed apps from your cell carrier (like Rogers Navigator, urMusic, etc). And installing custom animating bootloaders, system ROMs, etc.

Just rooted my Motorola Quench yesterday and what a different world it is now with it.
    Hi, I just installed Titanium backup. Do I need to purchase the Donate version in order to delete custom apps from my Slide?? Thanks!
    09-02-10 03:42 AM
    One more argument to root: battery life.

Android phones don't have the best battery life, and the Incredible (what I have) is the worst of them all. After you root, you can install custom kernels and SetCPU which can add dozens of hours of life to a cycle.

Battery life on the Incredible out of the box isn't that great...but rooted running KingxKernal BFS #2...life is good.
    09-02-10 01:51 PM
    Rooted Froyo 2.2 on my EVO using the guides and video from XDA. The root was painless and didn't take long at all. I was pretty proud of myself lol. Next, I want to figure out how to remove some of Sprint's bloatware. Next, custom ROMs, flashing kernals, overclocking, etc.
    09-02-10 03:39 PM
    I was talking to another forum member about android, thought I'd pop in and see what I might learn, and came across this thread.

So, rooting is kinda like jailbreaking, but on a deeper (and 'potentially' more damaging) level?

I never knew android devices were rooted for added functionality. I assumed it was for performance tweaks.

Also, is rooting done to get around carrier restrictions? Data usage, tethering, video calling, etc?

P.S. I am just curious and asking questions. I'm not baiting, trolling, or looking for an argument.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 09-03-10 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Apple/Google relations.
    09-03-10 05:31 PM
    I had a firmware update available and did the update. I didn't re-root the phone after. It runs more smoothly for me without rooting, I found...
    09-03-10 06:41 PM
    Hi, I just installed Titanium backup. Do I need to purchase the Donate version in order to delete custom apps from my Slide?? Thanks!
    No, you need to check under filter in the file list to be sure "system" is selected, also you can't remove apps from /system/app (such as mail, motoblur, HTC Sense, etc) but you can remove from /data/app (such as google maps, facebook, tweekdeck, etc)
    09-03-10 07:00 PM
    I just dont wanna ruin my phone. And honestly, i dont want to remove any of the apps that come with the phone preloaded by Sprint (Sprint TV, navigation). there seem to be millions of different roms available, how do i know which is for my phone?? How easy is it to go back and forth from rooted <--> unrooted?

The only reason i would even root my phone would be to get rid of the lag for things like the phone and messages. I have an HTC Hero.
    I'm interested in android but never coming in here and only reading bb posts and how android users bash bb for lag I would've thought lag was something foreign to android users but I guess not.
    09-06-10 10:00 AM
    I was talking to another forum member about android, thought I'd pop in and see what I might learn, and came across this thread.

So, rooting is kinda like jailbreaking, but on a deeper (and 'potentially' more damaging) level?

I never knew android devices were rooted for added functionality. I assumed it was for performance tweaks.

Also, is rooting done to get around carrier restrictions? Data usage, tethering, video calling, etc?

P.S. I am just curious and asking questions. I'm not baiting, trolling, or looking for an argument.
    Unless you screw something up during the rooting process its very hard to screw it up. Now AFTER YOU ROOT is when you can brick the **** out of your device if you dont know wtf you're doing. Overclocking or putting custom kernals can smoke your device easily.

Rooting gives free tethering via Froyo 2.2 (or apps) and gives you a some new subsets of applications that can only be used under Root status like snapshots. While most root their phone for customization and performance, some root to install warez like jailbroken devices.
    09-06-10 10:10 AM
    Thanks DDX.
    09-06-10 12:47 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD