I'm wondering if you can get a Droid on an alltel plan that was switched over to Verizon. I already have the unlimited messaging and data plan. I would just rather buy a phone without a new contract to save in the long run. has anyone on here done this? ive read in other forums a few different opinions some saying you cant do it, others that you can but the alltel plan limits some of the features opposed to the verizon plan.
    if anyone has a Droid on their alltel plan I'd love to hear about it if it would be any different then a verizon plan
    11-15-09 02:26 PM
    Yes you can! Just order the droid on verizon's website, chande it to month to month so you are paying retail price. When you get the phone, activate it via the included instructions and presto!!!
    11-15-09 03:07 PM
    This is possible because you are now a verizon customer, not an alltel customer anymore.
    11-15-09 03:08 PM
    I bought an Eris on my Alltel plan, renewing it for 2 more yrs. Made no changes to it, however. Just renewed and got the phone at the subsidized price. I did all this through Best Buy, but you could probably do the same online or any other method. So, I kept my unlimited data and texting, and 7 p.m. nights starting time, plus my 11 "my circle" numbers.
    We will see when I get my next bill how much it changes.
    I dropped the insurance and Virtual Voice Mail. That will save about $12 per month. My base rate is still $109, with added on Roadside Asst.
    I also renewed before the increase in the ETF took place.
    11-15-09 03:12 PM
    Made no changes to your plan??? I am not the primary line on our family plan and I'm under the impression that in order to perform an upgrade and contract extension on our plan that a new Verizon rate plan and all 4 of our lines would need new Verizon phones. But your saying that you can renew your contract and keep your AllTel rated plan?
    If not I was planning on purchasing a phone at full retail, but if this is possible I can hold off until my upgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 03:54 PM
    I switched from my alltel plans to a verizon plan. They gave me early upgrades on all 3 of my lines even though only one line was eligible for an upgrade and I actually like the verizon plan better even though I lost the nights starting at 7pm. I'm saving money every month and our new phones get to take advantage of verizons 3g network that alltel phones do not. So make sure that keeping your alltel plan is worth the extra $300 on the phone.
    11-15-09 04:35 PM
    To have all of our phones w unlimited texting and our 2 smart phones. And the closest minutes and all that I believe our plan would go up 40-60 a month. So if we cannot extend our AllTel rate I think we would want to not sign another contract.
    Derpudel I'm curious to hear if your bill still reflects your AllTel rates.
    And to the 3G comment how does that apply to a VERIZON phone put on an AllTel rated plan.
    I understand I'm a Verizon customer now but to them we are still different by our grandfathered in AllTel plans

11-15-09 04:55 PM
    why not just call verizon and ask them this
    11-15-09 05:01 PM
    I upgraded to the Storm 2 and kept my AllTel plan. I didn't want to give up my circle or 7 PM nights and weekends. Since you already have a data package you should be able to do the same. I think if you were going from a non-data plan you would have to pick a Verizon plan.

11-15-09 05:07 PM
    Okay thanks, I will have to call them eventually but I hoped someone on here would have some 1st hand knowledge. And my apologies if this thread is in the wrong location, my question was in regards to switching to a droid phone afterall though

11-15-09 05:25 PM
    Btw no visual voicemail, VCast or VZ nav if you go this route.

11-15-09 05:25 PM
    After some issues with the availability of my annual upgrade and 3 calls to Verizon's CS I was able to order the Droid Eris online and keep my Alltel Smartchoice Plan. I was assured by the Customer Service rep that all other lines on my plan (all with Alltel phones) and the plan itself would be unaffected. I am guessing since I was able to order the phone without having to change my plan all will be well.

I do anticipate that I will not have access to the things mentioned above, Visual Voicemail, VCast, VZNav, but I don't care, as I would not use/pay extra for them anyway.

I would say if you do it online you should be good to go. Some CSR's and in-store folks like to try to tell you you can't do this/pressure you into changing your plan to Verizon. But it shouldn't be necessary, at least from my experience.

hth
    11-15-09 05:47 PM
    Are you saying applications for visual voicemail wouldn't work? And the free navigation on the google maps featured on the droid? I assumed they would. I don't care about vcast

11-15-09 05:48 PM
    So some of you where able to renew your contract with an upgrade and keep your plan rate the same? VERY cool to hear. If anyone else has had experience with this please chime in. Looks like I have some calls to make

11-15-09 06:17 PM
    Kjofan is right about in-store reps trying to get you into a VZ contract. They are on commission and its more $ for them.

As far as your google navigator goes that will work just fine but VZ nav can't be added on if you have the altel contract. The same goes for verizons other add on features like visual voicemail and Vcast.

11-15-09 08:04 PM
    Can the vznav even work on a droid? Even if it can y when u get google nav free.

11-15-09 08:21 PM
    To have all of our phones w unlimited texting and our 2 smart phones. And the closest minutes and all that I believe our plan would go up 40-60 a month. So if we cannot extend our AllTel rate I think we would want to not sign another contract.
    Derpudel I'm curious to hear if your bill still reflects your AllTel rates.
    And to the 3G comment how does that apply to a VERIZON phone put on an AllTel rated plan.
    I understand I'm a Verizon customer now but to them we are still different by our grandfathered in AllTel plans

I'm not sure how it would affect a vz phone on an alltel plan. I am saying we upgraded from our alltel phones to vz phones so that we could make use of the 3g network.

We were running two HTC touch pro and a LG basic phone from alltel now we have a droid, a rogue and a knack. I chose to abandon my alltel rated plan for VZ Connect plan with a $9.99 add on line for the droid +$30 data plan and a $9.99 add on line for the knack. It would be $149.98 month, where with alltel I was paying around $180 month but VZ offers a 20% discount for my employer that I didn't get with alltel so my VZ bill is around $115.
    11-15-09 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD