Was watching CNBC a few minutes ago and they were talking about the upcoming release probably in July of the kindle fire 2 which is going to have much more robust specs than the previous Kindle fire did this along with the fact that Google Nexus is coming out this week really makes the space crowded along with the fact that the persistent rumors of a iPad mini continue to abound. It seems that few players want to play in the 10 inch tablet where iPad has unbelievable dominance and now are moving to what they feel is a much more lucrative opportunity to compete in the 7 inch tablet space.
    Last edited by JTATL; 06-26-12 at 02:41 PM.
    06-26-12 02:39 PM
    I like how we're all about making our phone screens bigger but our tablet screen sizes are going down.
    06-26-12 02:41 PM
    One of the reasons for that is that the 10 inch tablet does not translate very well into an ereader at all because of its size and bulk. I have a BlackBerry playbook and a new Ipad but to read in bed I use the BlackBerry playbook because it's easier to hold its like a book where as the iPad is not very comfortable to hold in one hand at all even though I have big hands
    Last edited by JTATL; 06-26-12 at 02:52 PM.
    06-26-12 02:46 PM
    If you want to talk about the tablet space post in the playbook forum
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-26-12 at 03:08 PM.
    06-26-12 02:55 PM
    Despite Steve Jobs' objections to a 7" tablet, I find it interesting that rumors of an iPad mini are around. From the beginning, I was very happy with the Playbook's 7" size. The difference between it and a 10" tablet (beside screen real estate) is the ability to hold it in one hand.

I can carry around my Playbook in one hand while looking at it but not a 10" tablet. RIM got that one right the first time. But in order for a 7" tablet to be succesful, it has to be fluid, fast, and perform seemless multi-tasking. The others will crowd the market with their tablets with the same OSs with beefed up tech specs to make them appear more fluid. I think that the Playbook has handled this quite well since launch and it's OS gets better and more feature packed as time goes on. The competition for RIM in the 7" space is basically a year-old tablet (that holds up quite well even compared to the technology packed into devices today) vs the same stuff on newer tablets.

If I was an owner of a Kindle Fire or a 7" Galaxy Tab (from last year), I'd be less likely to give them another shot with promises of a better experience. I don't know that I'd buy the current Playbook right now, but I'd sure wait to see what RIM has coming with the 4G Playbook.

In all, I think it will be interesting to see what the (speculated) Nexus tablet looks like as well as the (speculated) iPad mini. Those are the only two real competitors (unless there's a 7" Surface on the horizon). That being the case, If RIM can get their BB10 act together quickly and efficiently, then they will have a legitimate second chance. Remember that last year, the iPad2 and the Playbook launched just weeks apart and RIM, with its 'unfinished' OS was caught with its pants down. Everything's on the line with BB10, but at least they have one more chance.

The competition is crazy, but I think that RIM will be coming to the table with much more this time.
    06-26-12 02:57 PM
    You again. Seriously learn to use the right forums. If you want to talk about the tablet space post in the playbook forum
    If the thread is in the wrong place just hit the "REPORT" button
    and ask (nicely) that it be moved. Simple huh?
    06-26-12 03:02 PM
    If the thread is in the wrong place just hit the "REPORT" button
    and ask (nicely) that it be moved. Simple huh?
    Yeah I know but thanks for the reminder.

Sorry everyone having a bad day
    06-26-12 03:07 PM
    I like many recent play book customers kinda backed into the purchase so to speak

The first time I consider getting a tablet was when I heard about the Amazon Kindle fire that was coming out in September when they first announced it however I put off purchasing one and by the time I had decided I wanted to get a tablet the BlackBerry playbook had dropped to its current price level and I was able to pick up a BlackBerry playbook 32 gigs and all the accessories I needed for $300 from Walmart and I decided that was a much better option for me because it wasn't just an ereader and media consumption device but it could be used as as a full functioning computing device. I believe that the new 7 inch tablets the Google Nexus and the and the kindle fire 2 and the ipad mini will have similar specs because people just don't want only media consumption device is anymore they want their tablet to do everything. I've also found it even though prior to purchasing the playbook I felt that I didn't really have a need to own a tablet now I've discovered for myself at least that is now essential to own a tablet so what whatever price point person comes into a tablet once they realize the benefits of owning a tablet they become tablet owners for life.
    06-26-12 03:09 PM
    I'm not so sure this belongs in the PlayBook Forum. It seems to be about Android based Tablets. Lets keep it where it is, in the Android forum. Trust me it's better off here.
    06-26-12 03:16 PM
    Sorry, the 7-Inch tablet market was already flooded with Android tablets long before the PlayBook even arrived. Just, none of them were worth a damn.
    howarmat and 00stryder like this.
    06-26-12 03:27 PM
    RIM has one great advantage, one of their three concept words is "extend", they're making the devices work together...1+1 is more than two, e.g. Bridge

Apple, Microsoft, et al...are following the concept of 'the rule of three'...RIM needs to make sure they're also exploring new avenues, they have the right QNX OS
    kbz1960 and 00stryder like this.
    06-26-12 03:34 PM
    True but the same could be said for the Asus Padfone a new product recently release in Taiwan. I believe it also operates on android and the device designed for you to place a smart phone in the back to power a 10 inch tablet
    06-26-12 03:48 PM
    True but the same could be said for the Asus Padfone a new product recently release in Taiwan. I believe it also operates on android and the device designed for you to place a smart phone in the back to power a 10 inch tablet

I recall seeing a video showing that product. The guy was carrying around a big tablet and at the end he put it into a slot in the tablet...it wasn't cool in any way and just attaching the phone is a 1+1=2 scenario
    06-26-12 05:24 PM
    Was watching CNBC a few minutes ago and they were talking about the upcoming release probably in July of the kindle fire 2 which is going to have much more robust specs than the previous Kindle fire did this along with the fact that Google Nexus is coming out this week really makes the space crowded along with the fact that the persistent rumors of a iPad mini continue to abound. It seems that few players want to play in the 10 inch tablet where iPad has unbelievable dominance and now are moving to what they feel is a much more lucrative opportunity to compete in the 7 inch tablet space.
    I just read about a $100 ICS 7" tablet that works well and has decent specs.

"ICS 4.0.3, 2-megapixel webcam, 1.5GHz Cortex A8 processor and an 800 x 480-pixel 7-inch capacitive display, 512MB RAM and 4 gigs of storage"

There's a $150 one that has 1GB RAM and 16GB storage.

With cheapies like these flooding the market, that'll be the end of the higher-end stuff.

Matrix One is a $99 ICS tablet that could ship to retailers next month... but probably won't (hands-on) -- Engadget
    06-26-12 06:22 PM
    With cheapies like these flooding the market, that'll be the end of the higher-end stuff.
    No it won't... Not to mention most of the "cheapies" even at CES you would barely consider "usable".
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-26-12 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD